Does Henna Freeze as hard as a rock?

Dymmeonds

Hi Ladies,

I would like to mix my henna now, but I will not be applying it until tomorrow afternoon. If I mix it and let it sit for like 12 hrs and put it in the freezer will it freeze so hard that I have to wait for it to thaw out? Should I wait until later to mix it? I kinda want to get it out of the way this morning.

sqzbly1908

Yeah it will freeze hard as rock - I have some in the freezer now...If I were you I would wait to make it if you can't use it after 12-18 hours

angellazette

I used some henna I had freezing since November just yesterday before I got my haircut. It was definitely hard as a rock but thawed out on the stove in about 2 hours.

Dymmeonds

I used some henna I had freezing since November just yesterday before I got my haircut. It was definitely hard as a rock but thawed out on the stove in about 2 hours.

How did you thaw it out on the stove?

ETA: Your haircut is the BOMB ...a little bit...nah A LOT!

angellazette

Thank you :yep:

I turned my stove on to 500 and let it get warm, then I let the henna sit on top of the warm stove. Then after 45 minutes to an hour I checked it, stirred it up, then kept checking it and stirring until there weren't any frozen sections.

Noir

If you are going to use it within 12-24 hours then don't bother freezing it.

When I want to defrost my batch; I just add some hot water to the mix, stir it and leave it for a while.

frizzy

^^ Don't freeze it if you are going to use it that soon.

I mixed my last two boxes the other day, I let it sit out for two days to release its color and put it in the refrigerator. I'm gonna separate it into smaller portions and freeze them, so that when I want to henna, henna gloss or hendigo, I'll just take a batch out of the freezer the day before to thaw out on the countertop.

Yes, it does freeze hard as a rock, with ice crystals and all.

frizzy

No, no depletion of potency. That time frame lets all of the dye release so there is no need to add anything like lemon juice to speed up the process.

I think I have read that indigo loses it's dyeing potency after an few hours, but I used some leftover, refrigerated hendigo today and it colored my grays beautifully. (not so bright red) HTH