DOES ANYONE USE ZINC FOR HAIR GROWTH

Wolftrap

When I first joined this board I was so overwhelmed by the information I immediately became a PJ. Now that I have narrowed down what works and doesn't work for me I have this bottle of Zinc sitting in my bathroom. Now I know I must have purchased it because of some info on here but for the life of me I can't remember why I bought it. I've never taken them and I just noticed I had some. Does zinc help your hair grow? Are there any side affects? Has anyone noticed a significant growth incrase with Zinc?

Wolftrap

ok I found this on Jane Carters site. Hope this helps somone else or someone comes in here with a testimonial to Zinc

How do I get my hair to grow faster?

Chances are, your hair is growing, you may just want to speed up the process. The three essentials to fast hair growth are: lots of water, aerobic exercise and eating mineral rich foods or taking extra minerals in supplements. Taking 22.5 miligrams of zinc daily along with a multi vitamin will speed up the process. Shampooing 1 to 2 times weekly and using products that cleanse gently, nourish and strengthen your hair will keep your hair from breaking. Exercise is so important because heart pumping exercise speeds up blood flow, therefore getting more nourishment to the papilla of the hair and perspiration unclogs the pores and helps to rid your body of toxins. Exercise also reduces stress and helps your body to relax. Drink 10 to 12 8oz glasses of water daily and eat lots of leafy dark green vegetables. Whenever you exercise, be sure to rinse or shampoo your hair 2 to 3 times weekly. If you cannot shampoo often enough, mist your hair with Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner and seal in the moisture with Nourish & Shine. Remember, perspiration has salt and ammonia in it and both are very drying for your hair, so be sure to shampoo or rinse as often as possible. P.S. loose the weaves, glue and heavy gels, and shampoo more often if you want your hair to be healthy!

lovechic

ZINC IS VERY NECESSARY IN THE AID OF HEALTHY HAIR! I THINK 15 MG IS THE RECOMMENDED DAILY ALLOWANCE! IT'S DEFINITLY PART OF MY EVERYDAY VITAMIN INTAKE!

Wolftrap

Have you noticed results with zinc only or do you take other vitamins with it? Are there any side affects or what can happen if you take too much?

Isis

Cathy Howse recommends 15 mg daily. I heard on the news recently that too much zinc can cause side effects (can't remember what though). They say if you feel nauseous, you have enough zinc in your system. I take zinc lozenges which have 15 mg of zinc in it. I still wonder if that's the same kind of zinc.

Ayeshia

DO NOT FALL ASLEEP WITH ZINC LOZENGES IN YOUR MOUTH YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TASTE ANYTHING FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS

How do I know? It happened to me

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I heard zinc was good for hair growth as well. Right now, I just take Super B Complex and a multivitamin which I think is enough. I don't wanna stock up and take a whole bunch of vitamins.

GoingBack

I am taking other vitamins right now as well. I think that once they are all gone, I'll try zinc as well as iron.

DangerouslyShy

I added zinc to my vitamin intake a couple months ago, this month i added biotin along with my nourishair and vitamin b complex...

i have seen more growth than usual...now all i have to do is drink more water and eat more green veggies!!

shellzfoshizzle

If zinc is so great for the hair, then why is everyone taking so much Biotin?? Do I need to run out and buy a bottle of zinc now?!?!

LABETT

I added Zinc and Biotin to my regimen the same time I noticed my hair is thicker than it was the first part of the year.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I thought I read some where that zinc, b-5 and vitamin c help with assimilating biotin. I'm not sure If I remember I will try to look it up.

KAddy

I read a while ago before I found LHCF that Zinc was great for hair. I had an email about it, but my laptop with it crashed so I no longer have it. But I think it was zinc and biotin were a great mix. (I remember because I specifically went out and purchased the two.

However I now just take a multi-vitamin with zinc in it (15 mg) and added biotin since my multi-vitamin doesn't have biotin.

ETA: I found this information
ZINC Stimulates hair and nail growth. Aids in
preventing hair loss. May help treat and prevent
dandruff

Diet recommendations: The Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) are: infants, 5 mg/day; children <10 years, 10 mg/day; males >10 years, 15 mg/day; females >10 years, 12 mg/day; pregnancy, 15 mg/day; and lactation, 0-6 mo., 19 mg/day; 7-12 mo., 16 mg/day.

Toxicity: Acute zinc toxicity is characterized by gastric distress, dizziness and nausea. Symptoms of chronic toxicity include gastric problems, decreased serum ceruloplasmin activity and hypocupremia, decreased lymphocyte stimulation to PHA and reduced HDL cholesterol. An emetic effect occurs at >150 mg Zn/day. Consumption of zinc supplements produces measurable cellular effects but the long term benefit/risk of zinc supplementation has yet to be determined.

I found this information here

**Tasha*Love**

[ QUOTE ]
Have you noticed results with zinc only or do you take other vitamins with it? Are there any side affects or what can happen if you take too much?

[/ QUOTE ]I made the mistake of taking two pills a day instead of one like the bottle instructed. I was very nauseous and everything tasted like metal. It seemed like everything I ate tasted like my eating utensils.

hairlover

ultra nurishair by gnc has:
vit a-1000 iu; magnesium-40 mg
vit c-60 mg; zinc-30 mg
vit e-30 iu; copper-2 mg
thiamin-1.5mg; boron-3 mg
riboflavin-1.7mg; silica-1 mg
nicin-20 mg; msm-500 mg
vit b-6-4mg; natural amino acid-500 mg
folic acid-200mcg; l-cystine-200 mg
vit b-12-6mcg; l-methionine-100 mg
biotin-1200 mcg; choline-250 mcg
pantothenic acid-20mg; inositol-50 mcg
iodine-50 mcg;
multiply these ingredients by 2 pills per day.
i hope this helps someone with their vitamin decision. /images/graemlins/wave.gif /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

Kalani

Yes, Zinc is very good for the hair and skin. I've always used it to clear up my skin when I have breakouts. I have never had a problem with my hair growing as well so maybe that was an unrealized side effect.
Someone also mentioned iron which I recently read is essential to healthy hair growth so that is a good one as well.

NubianQueen

Wow!

Thanks so much for this post, because my last batch of vitamins had something in the mix that made me nauseous and I couldn't figure out what in the heck it was. I was taking the ultra nourishair AND 50 mgs of zinc!! Taking the extra zinc out of all my little baggies right now!

lovechic

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] NO IT DOESN'T MAKE MY HAIR GROW ANY FASTER THAN NORMAL. MY ZINC INTAKE IS INCLUDED IN MY MULTIVITAMIN, IT'S ONLY 15 MG. THERE'S NO SIDE EFFECTS WITH ME CAUSE MY INTAKE IS SO LOW AND SAFE. ZINC PROVIDES NOURISHMENT FOR THE HAIR LIKE SOME OTHER SUPPLEMENTS IT DOESN'T BOOST MY GROWTH THO! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

GoingBack

BUMP

Okay I recently added this to my regimine and I think that I may be taking too much. I am feeling very nauseous...like I might be preganant or something. I got my zinc from Puritan Pride. They are 100 mg tabs and I am taking one a day with breakfast.

Another thing that I noticed was that my skin is starting to peel and it kind of dry. I know that someone said that it was helping their acne...did anyone else have similar reactions? Maybe I need to cut the pills in half /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
BUMP

Okay I recently added this to my regimine and I think that I may be taking too much. I am feeling very nauseous...like I might be preganant or something. I got my zinc from Puritan Pride. They are 100 mg tabs and I am taking one a day with breakfast.

Another thing that I noticed was that my skin is starting to peel and it kind of dry. I know that someone said that it was helping their acne...did anyone else have similar reactions? Maybe I need to cut the pills in half /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
100 mg of zinc? :shocked: No wonder you felt nauseous! I've learned that 15 mg is the most one should take each day (there is a thread in off topic board about this also).

Last edited:

LondonDiva

The only supplement I take for my hair is Freeda Biotin. I've thought about getting back on MSM and remember zinc is a good supplement to take. I'll see if I can find it in a liquid form, which will be more potent and absorb better and add it to my fruit smooties or something.

GoingBack

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
BUMP

[/ QUOTE ]
100 mg of zinc? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif No wonder you felt nauseous! I've learned that 15 mg is the most one should take each day (there is a thread in off topic board about this also).

[/ QUOTE ]

So should I just cut them in half? I really don't want to throw the entire bottle away /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
BUMP

[/ QUOTE ]
100 mg of zinc? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif No wonder you felt nauseous! I've learned that 15 mg is the most one should take each day (there is a thread in off topic board about this also).

[/ QUOTE ]

So should I just cut them in half? I really don't want to throw the entire bottle away /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You may want to cut them in 1/4 pieces for 25 mg each and see how that works for you. Any symptoms of nausea or headache means an overdose of zinc. Some do well with 25 mg or 50 mg, depending on how the levels are in their bodies to begin with.