Does anyone shampoo their hair WITHOUT conditioning afterwards?

Ebonygurl00

Someone posted on another thread awhile back that they did this with good results, so I tried it today. I shampooed with Keracare Hydrating Poo. I did 2 lathers, and I left the 2nd lather on for 5 minutes under a plastic cap, kinda like when I'm conditioning. Then I washed it out and put my Elucence MB conditioner on as a leave-in like always. My hair is almost dry and it feels silky smooth! I keep rubbing my hands all over my hair, lol. Is this bad to do all the time? It would help A LOT, because I wouldn't have to find a rinse-out conditioner. Another thing that I didn't do was use any oil after the leave-in, but I DO put TONS of EVOO in the Elucence MB conditioner, so that's probably why it feels moisturized without sealing it. So does anyone else do this? What were your results?

I do (maybe that was my thread you're talking about :lol:)
Sometimes I condition, sometimes I don't. It just depends on how my hair feels.

When my mom was doing my hair and when I first started we would never condition it and my hair seemed just fine to me back then. Back then we exclusively used Creme of Nature because on the bottle it says Shampoo, Conditioner, & Detangler, the one with the yellow top and red letters. But after finding the hair boards i have started using conditioner. Some time in the near future I am going to go back to no conditioner to see if anything changes.

BlackCardinal said:
I do (maybe that was my thread you're talking about :lol:)
Sometimes I condition, sometimes I don't. It just depends on how my hair feels.

LOL, your thread wasn't the one I read. I just found it, and it's helpful, thanks!

tffy2004 said:
When my mom was doing my hair and when I first started we would never condition it and my hair seemed just fine to me back then. Back then we exclusively used Creme of Nature because on the bottle it says Shampoo, Conditioner, & Detangler, the one with the yellow top and red letters. But after finding the hair boards i have started using conditioner. Some time in the near future I am going to go back to no conditioner to see if anything changes.

How long could you use CON without clarifying? I can't use CON anymore, because I'm sick of the build-up. The Keracare Hydrating Poo leaves no build-up in my hair. I used CON green. Thanks!

I do that, sometimes. I use a very moisturizing shampoo (Breakthru) :love: and don't always use a conditioner. My hair is never dry and remains very soft and silky.

I'm sure I probably could get away with it now because I use Elucence MB conditioner as a leave-in. That detangles like nobody's business. However, it is so hard to keep my hair on the "straight and narrow". So I'm not going to risk missing that important conditioning step. ;)

Mestiza said:
I do that, sometimes. I use a very moisturizing shampoo (Breakthru) :love: and don't always use a conditioner. My hair is never dry and remains very soft and silky.

Mestiza, you're making me want to buy the Breakthru shampoo! It's so hard not to be a PJ.:lol: How often do you do this?

Lavendar said:
I'm sure I probably could get away with it now because I use Elucence MB conditioner as a leave-in. That detangles like nobody's business. However, it is so hard to keep my hair on the "straight and narrow". So I'm not going to risk missing that important conditioning step. ;)

Isn't Elucence MB great? I love it! I'm not sure if it detangles for me, though. I detangle with my shampoo. I think I'll throw in a cheapy Vo5 conditioner after the shampooing. I'm feeling paranoid about my hair drying out, lol.

Ebonygurl00 said:
Mestiza, you're making me want to buy the Breakthru shampoo! It's so hard not to be a PJ.:lol: How often do you do this?

Sorry! :lol:

Seriously, it is the ABSOLUTE BEST shampoo that I've ever used. I use it everytime that I shampoo wash my hair. I would estimate that it's from 4 - 8 times per month. Some ladies from the west coast said that it was in Dollar Tree Stores (it's not in my area :( ). Go get a bottle and give it a try. :)

Mestiza said:
Sorry! :lol:

Seriously, it is the ABSOLUTE BEST shampoo that I've ever used. I use it everytime that I shampoo wash my hair. I would estimate that it's from 4 - 8 times per month. Some ladies from the west coast said that it was in Dollar Tree Stores (it's not in my area :( ). Go get a bottle and give it a try. :)

LOL, thanks! My brother works at Dollar Tree, so I'll ask him to look for it on Monday. At least it won't be expensive! If I can get it, I'll tell you my results. Thanks again!:D

I thought this was against the law! I was and have always been taught to ALWAYS condition after shampooing. Maybe it's a mental thing, but I don't feel right if I wash and not condition.

Last edited:
I used to when I used CON in the green bottle. But, I used to keep my hair braided more often andhardly every used heat.

Now that I gave up on braids and weaves and I DO use heat, I have to use conditioner.

Also, since moving into my home afew years ago, my water quality requires that I use a chelating clarifying shampoo. That HAS to be followed by a conditioner.

I tried this and thought that it would be fine, but my hair suffered from the lack of conditioning treatments (not much progress). Ever since I started back conditioning weekly, my hair has made some progress.

Since going to salons & doing my own hair at home, I've never skipped deep conditioning. I don't think that my mother always conditioned my hair when I was younger, though. I remember her using CON mostly, and it was a shampoo & conditioner in one, I think. My hair grew to waistlength then, so I guess it didn't mind not getting a seperate condition. :lol:

It really depends on what shampoo you use and also on what else you do to your hair after (or before) washing.
My shampoos are sulfate- and cone-free so they aren't drying to my hair. Also whenever I use a pre-treatment I don't really need to condition after shampooing it out.

Ebonygurl00 said:
How long could you use CON without clarifying? I can't use CON anymore, because I'm sick of the build-up. The Keracare Hydrating Poo leaves no build-up in my hair. I used CON green. Thanks!

Back then we had no idea what clarifying and build-up were. So I never clarified in those days, and don't really remember any bad effects on my hair because of it.

Back