Does anyone only wash their hair by co-washes?

jturner7156

My friend was telling me how shampoo made her hair dry and brittle and she asked could she only do co-washes...forever? :confused: Does your hair get clean with co-washes or will this method result in buildup? She uses head and shoulders as her current shampoo?

I usually co-wash once a week, but I too have been wondering if I should just co-wash now, b/c no matter what method I try, shampooing leaves my hair completely stripped. I think it should be fine especially if you are washing your hair often, but I when I start I'll probably try to clarify more often than I do now.

I'd like to know too. Every since I BC shampoo makes my hair so dry even when I dilute it. I'm thinking of trying one with no protein in it to see if that helps.

im sure its possible but i think the problem with that would be is that CW doesnt clean the hair or scalp so eventually you will probably have to shampoo with something.

gradygirl said:
I'd like to know too. Every since I BC shampoo makes my hair so dry even when I dilute it. I'm thinking of trying one with no protein in it to see if that helps.

I add a protein conditioner (joico intense hydrator) to mine as well with some vo5, coconut milk and honey.

I was co-washing daily for about two months
its great... i loved it...
my hair was so much more manageable.
I was determined to never use shampoo again...
I've read alot of books
a lot of "featured members" regimines
long story short...
we need shampoo...
keeping your scalp clean is very necessary
so now I co-wash everyday...
shampoo (in sections)
& deep condition once a week and
use a clarifying shampoo
once a month.
Its awesome, I love it
and I know my scalp is clean
if you don't wash with shampoo
you will have buildup
and buildup is bad...
its even bad to use
"moisturizing shampoo"
because it coats the hair
we want our scalp to be totally clean
its easier to wash in sections
and only wash the scalp...
I read about this in
Cathy Howse's "Ultra Black Hair Growth II"
and also in "The Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair"

I CW all the time. I only use shampoo about once a month, probably less. Even the mild stuff strips my hair something terrible, diluted and all.

If you don't use a lot of product on a regular basis I think you can get away with pooing infrequently.

I am a co-washer. i shampoo here and there but not often. I throw a tablespoon of baking soda in my conditioner and my hair and scalp gets squeaky clean. I never have build on my scalp or hair and I don't have the dryness a lot of naturals complain about. I can co-wash and go without product and my hair will be extra soft. I only use product now for styling.

br0wney3z said:
I add a protein conditioner (joico intense hydrator) to mine as well with some vo5, coconut milk and honey.
I dont think my natural hair likes too much protein. I'm trying to figure it all out. I just know it feels stripped when I shampoo and even more so when I use shampoo with protein in it.

turnergirl said:
I am a co-washer. i shampoo here and there but not often.
I throw a tablespoon of baking soda in my conditioner and my hair and scalp gets squeaky clean.
I never have build on my scalp or hair and I don't have the dryness a lot of naturals complain about. I can co-wash and go without product and my hair will be extra soft. I only use product now for styling.

How often do you do this and does your hair feel stripped using the baking soda?
Thanks

There are several people on Nappturality that only use conditioner to wash their hair. One that I can recall has not used shampoo for 4 years - but she clarifies once a month.

I personally co-wash/rinse every day and use shampoo every two weeks.

Back