Does Anyone Have Family Members Who Think That You Are Crazy?...

neks4u2c

My sister thinks that I am crazy because I try the methods here at LCHF.:perplexed Today she bullied me so much about making my own sugar scalp scrub. She accused me of being in an occult, being a scientologist and deviating from the norm!!!!! She thinks that I am deceiving myself for transitioning and that has expressed her views that my hair will not grow. Does anyone else have family members who are extremely discouraging? :nono: I feel so angry and drained right now!!!

My sister thinks that I am crazy because I try the methods here at LCHF.:perplexed Today she bullied me so much about making my own sugar scalp scrub. She accused me of being in an occult, being a scientologist and deviating from the norm!!!!! She thinks that I am deceiving myself for transitioning and that has expressed her views that my hair will not grow. Does anyone else have family members who are extremely discouraging? :nono: I feel so angry and drained right now!!!
You'll eventually learn that you can't share everything with everybody.:nono:
Sometimes you'll be so excited about a new technique and you'll even show off fotkis of the long haired girls to prove that we CAN have long hair.....and people will still attribute it to that person being mixed or just being the exception.
Instead of telling them....SHOW THEM!
And be prepared that they STILL might not open their minds.
Good luck to you.

Girl, let all that be music to your ears as a source of motivation and proving her wrong. When she gets on her high horse and starts barking at you. Just say "whatever" and walk away. Do not give her any explanation. and dont talk to her about lhcf. Its obvious where her head is at.
Not agreeing with your methofs

Just do you..... and once you have healthy hair. She wont be singing like that anymore.

The thing that alot of people do not understand, (non-lhcf members). In order to achieve great things.. You have to step outside the norm.

Be a leader, not a follower. And just do you.

You already see what being a follower can cause when it comes down to haircare. Answer: Poor hair care.

So...moral of the story... Just do you..

Wow. :bighug: Yes, my sister was the same way. She would make all kinds of comments about the techniques I picked up here. LIke, why was I washing my hair so often? Or why are you using a white person's conditioner? I started keeping things to myself and doing things when she wasn't around. Now that my hair is growing fast, she has nothing to say. You will show her when your hair flourishes.:grin:

Like mentioned above, I would show my sister fotki's and she would just go "mmm hmmm". I would look at her like she was crazy. So, I just stopped and kept doing my thing.

Last edited:
I'm sorry your sister was so harsh to you. :( With that said...she sounds a little crazy herself--Scientology? A cult? Just because you've decided to take your haircare into your own hands? :ohwell:

My husband calls me hair obsessed and was unhappy when I decided to stop relaxing, but when I kept on doing what I was doing and he saw how happy I was, he gradually became okay with it. Now he loves my natural hair and complains whenever I even talk about staightening it temporarily.

Keep doing what you need to do to make yourself happy. :yep:

Yep, my family thought I was crazy. When I first joined this board, my sisters would straight clown me. They told me it was stupid or just gave me these kind of looks :rolleyes:

Now.................................................................................................... Oh how the tables have turned :lol: I am getting phone calls from CVS or Walgreens asking me to decipher ingredients and brands, I am getting suprise visits to my apartment to raid my product stash, I am being asked to do retouches and blowouts. Don't sweat it, progress will speak for itself.

My mom visited me this past week She went into my bathroom she asked why did I have these different oils on my vanity. I told her they are for my hair. She looked puzzled and asked why don't I use "normal" hair care products. I told her these seem to be working better. She left it alone but kind of looked at me side ways when I only used a come to put up my hair...she was like ummm do u not own a brush...I said actually :look: I don't. She's still puzzled...:spinning:.

Sometimes you'll be so excited about a new technique and you'll even show off fotkis of the long haired girls to prove that we CAN have long hair.....and people will still attribute it to that person being mixed or just being the exception.
Good luck to you.

I totally agree. In general this has been my expeirence. The thing I don't get are the people who knock the stuff I learn, then see my hair flourishing and ask me for help, then knock the same stuff over again. At that point I'm like :spinning:

They didn't think I was crazy; but they did think I was extreme. But hey, don't let them discourage you. Grow your hair, then let them talk to you.

Thank you so much!!! I still feel very down, but knowing that other people have faced the same issue and conquered is so inspirational. I love my sis a lot, but boy did she get to me when she passed all those comments.

You know, I did show her some of the fotki's and she was like "whatever" so, yes, I will stop showing her and just keep things to myself from now on. And it also seems as though such comments come from her when she see's me looking at the boards, so I definitely will stop looking at them while she's nearby.

Good luck to you.
You are so right.

I have a few friends that think I'm off my rocker, in spite of me showing them that the methods we learn here work. My husband thinks I'm a little extreme and teases me about my "obsession", but nothing spiteful. I don't even respond to the naysayers.

No matter what folks say to you OP, just do your thing. You have a goal, and folks that aren't helping are hindering. Just enjoy your journey privately. This is something you're doing for yourself! When you feel like you need support, you know you have the ladies here.

I only have one cousin who thinks I'm bonkers for growing out my relaxer and thinks I won't succeed because I have too much hair and it is tooooo thickums for deal with without a relaxer. She has more of a good luck...but I"ll believe it when I see it approach.

Luckily everyone else is supportive.

Neks, My big question is...what does your sister's hair look like.
And I agree with the others. You should not continue to share hair info with her. Fine a good support system for this hair topic. She's not it.

I only have one cousin who thinks I'm bonkers for growing out my relaxer and thinks I won't succeed because I have too much hair and it is tooooo thickums for deal with without a relaxer. She has more of a good luck...but I"ll believe it when I see it approach.

Luckily everyone else is supportive.

Neks, My big question is...what does your sister's hair look like.
And I agree with the others. You should not continue to share hair info with her. Fine a good support system for this hair topic. She's not it.

Hi Mooks hair!!!! To be honest, my sisters hair is not too bad...I might have to say that it looks better than mine. It's right above her shoulders and she blessed to have much thicker hair & stronger hair. I am very sure that if she would just follow even one of the tips that I have tried to offer, her hair might be on its way to retaining more length. But hey, who I am I to offer tips?...

Today, she held a mirror in front of me and told me to look at myself...I guess the two textures are begining to show and it's getting much harder for me to to get my hair into a sleek style. I still feel slightly optimistic about my hair goals but I have to say that this part (transitioning) is very hard.

My best friend who had long hair all her life thought I was crazy til my hair was 2 inches from hers...Now she calls me while @ the store reading ingredients asking if she should buy the product...Seeing is believing; your sister will eventually come around!

Last edited:
I'm not around my family alot because I'm a truck driver. My husband probably thinks I'm obsessed because I'm always writing down hair recipes. But, then again, I stay glued to my laptop when I'm not driving or sleeping.

I don't really discuss hair with my friend anymore because their not really into like I am. That's why I love this site!

No, family members do not know except my Mom and she is getting good growth following a few of my suggestions. I was all gung-ho at first telling co-workers and a few friends who believed me to be obsessed,stupid,
mis-informed...especially when I was bunned {for a year!} all the time, refused to daily comb and now that I'm wigging it daily they think I've truly lost it. I learned early to tell no one some of the products/methods I use. SHOW is better than TELL.

Yes, they all think I am nuts. But who cares. I am barred from talking about hair to anyone other than my hubby. No one wants to hear it. Oh well!!!:look:

Hi Mooks hair!!!! To be honest, my sisters hair is not too bad...I might have to say that it looks better than mine. It's right above her shoulders and she blessed to have much thicker hair & stronger hair. I am very sure that if she would just follow even one of the tips that I have tried to offer, her hair might be on its way to retaining more length. But hey, who I am I to offer tips?...

Today, she held a mirror in front of me and told me to look at myself...I guess the two textures are begining to show and it's getting much harder for me to to get my hair into a sleek style. I still feel slightly optimistic about my hair goals but I have to say that this part (transitioning) is very hard.

Now, thats not right!! :nono:

I have a friend in the military... she thought I was crazy until I emailed her pics from my fotki... she hasnt seen me in 3 months and was AMAZED... so now she says she cant wait to get home & try it...

my husband just says smart stuff & says why come everytime he opens up a bag it has some hair care product in it... he saw our teen girls using my oils and says I got them on "that crap" too... but to him EVERYTHING is crap so its no reflection on LHCF... I also use my Coconut/castor oil mix as a lotion replacement and he says how good my skin feels so he dare not say anything about it harming my hair... He finally told me that as long as I dont get a perm, he doesnt care... he prefers my hair natural

my oldest daughter ( 17 yr old know it all) has lost about 4 inches of hair since November due to abuse & overprocessing... she told me I was crazy for putting all of the stuff in my hair and rolled her eyes when I sent her a emailed link to this and other similar sites....but suddenly she is co-washing & using my coconut/castor oil mix...My guess is that even though she wont acknowledge any progress Ive had, she lurks here & is desperate to retain whats now SL hair ( she once had longer than BSL)

Basically, my husband says everything I put in my hair is a chemical, and that's why my hair won't grow or do whatever I want. His idea of chemicals is EVERYTHING. My hair was going down my back until I cut it off...I was going through a change, now I'm back on the band wagon.

my mom thinks im a psycho...

...yet she cant stop raving when i do my hair and its halfway down my back...:rolleyes:

Back