Does anybody still do straw sets? If so, what do you use?

dany06

I flat ironed my hair stick straight earlier this week. It now looks so limp and lifeless. I dont typically flat iron it that straight. After having limp hair, I now want curls.
Also I am currently transitioning. I tried about every curly hair setting tecnique except for straw sets or flexi rod sets. Seeing as buying flexi rods can get expensive, I've decided to try out straw sets. I was just wondering if any of you guys still do them? Also what do you use for hold and shine?

dlewis

I did a flexirod set on my daughter Monday and it looks just like a straw set. Turned out beautiful.

nikki2229

BlackMasterPiece does them. Check out her blog for the pictures or you can search some threads that she created.

nikki2229

Here are a few shots I did on my DD's mostly natural hair.

I used leave in, foam setting and some coconut oil on wet hair.

Attachments

• 914.jpg
    914.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 919.jpg
    919.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 22
  • 920.jpg
    920.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

TruMe

I do straw sets every other week. I am transitioning currently and after washing/cowashing my hair, I apply my leave-in conditioner (currently DE but will probably going back to Jane Carter), some liquid moisturizer (Taliah Waajid Body Mistifier), a oil moisturizer (Hydratherma hair growth oil) and then finish up with Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue for the hold. It works out great and lasts 3-4 days when I usually do my mid-week wash/cowash.

BlackMasterPiece

Yep, love em even though they take centuries to do at my length:lol:

For this particular set I just used ic fantasia gel

I plan to do another set in the coming weeks except the curls will be tighter. I'll airdry in 10-12 tight braids that have conditioner and some oil in them, then I'll use an non-drying mousse or I'll mix eco styler gel with a little conditioner and curl activator gel OR I'll use Sunsilk Captivating Curls....it depends on what I'm feeling like in the moment:yep: But I'll be posting about how it comes out.

Oh and trust me, get some flexi rods for when you want curls in your pressed hair its AMAZING and 1000% worth it. I just took down my flexi rods last night and its identical results as a curling iron minus the heat and damage....its AWESOME.

Last edited: