Do you mix stuff into your hair products?

Do you mix natural ingredients into your commercial products?

• Yes; the original products are not as effective on their own

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • No, products work fine as is.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No, but I need to try 'cause my products don't work

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YankeeCandle

I read a lot of threads where people mix stuff (olive oil, honey, essential oils, aloe) into commercial hair products like conditioners or shampoos.

1. What do you mix in, and into what existing product do you mix it?

2. What benefits/effects does the mix-in give you that the original commercial product did not impart?

3. How do you preserve the concoction to keep it from molding or mildewing---do you rely on the preservatives already in the original product, do you refrigerate, etc?

I mix EVOO into my Mizani DC to make my hair softer, panthenol into my Mizani moisturizer for extra moisture and silk amino acids into my oil that i seal with for strength. I don't use anything fo preservatives because i mix small amounts at a time as needed.

Sometimes I mix EVOO in my conditioners before doing a deep condition. I only do enough for that one application.

I read someone likes to melt their unrefined shea butter down into their conditioner for unbelievable results. I may try that next time.

^^^ Yes OMG!!!! I melt my shea butter down in my deep conditioner!! Like OMG!!!! Perfection!! It's been 4 days my hair is still moist in this Michigan weather!

I agree. I add lots of stuff to my conditioner (different stuff at different times) -- SAA, wheat protein, honeyquat, panthenol, yogurt, different oils and butters, cream of coconut, herbs, egg powder, molasses powder, aloe vera and on and on, but the best thing ever to add to one's DC is, indeed, shea butter.

Last edited:
I always add oils to my deep conditioners as I am sure that the manufacturers always add pidly amounts bc they're cheap and trying to control production costs. :lol:

I am also thinking of starting to add silk amino acids.... :thought:

Sometimes I'm too lazy to mix, but usually I'll add coconut oil and honey to my moisture DC's. Hmm....I gotta try that shea butter thing! :scratchch

I always add EVOO and honey to my DC. I have added an egg for protein in the past. I find that my hair retains moisture longer when I add honey and EVOO. I will try melted shea on my next wash day.

Those who melt shea butter, do you melt it in a dish in the microwave? Or does it melt when a jar is placed in hot water, like coconut oil?

Unrefined shea butter straight up is too heavy and crumbly to have been of any use to my hair in the past, but maybe when melted and mixed with a commercial conditioner...hmmm..thanks for the idea.

I'd guess this would spoil quickly, though, so you should not make enough for more than one treatment?

Those who melt shea butter, do you melt it in a dish in the microwave? Or does it melt when a jar is placed in hot water, like coconut oil?

When I've melted shea butter in the past... I nuked one time and melted it over hot water the other. Equal results in my opinion. Since I plan on doing it right when I need it (with my conditioner), I'll probably nuke it.

Adding coconut oil and honey to your DC just makes for a wonderful DC experience. I am going to try silk amino acids and honeyquat too, it's just awesome.
Also , if you use AO especially on dry hair, it's pretty much impossible to spread without an oil lol. It's so thick.

I have to try this shea butter thing one day...

I'd guess this would spoil quickly, though, so you should not make enough for more than one treatment?

When I mix, I do it application to application, so nothing spoils or anything.

I mix JBCO or coconut oil in QH cholesterol I just tried Wheat germ oil in QH cholesterol my hair felt awesome. I have the salon size cholesterol so everything gets mixed in there.
2. What
benefits/effects does the mix-in give you that the original commercial product did not impart?
The oils makes my hair feel more moisturized, I don't have to detangle. Yes I use a comb like once every month or so LOL
3. How do you preserve the concoction to keep it from molding or mildewing---do you rely on the preservatives already in the original product, do you refrigerate, etc?
I mix as I am ready to use. Its exciting to mix natural oils in a base product to see what it will do for you.

I mix for the purpose of adjusting to needs.
I mix Joico Kpax products to my regular shampoo or conditioner. It has mild protein so I'll add the Joico Shampoo to my CON moisturizing conditioner if I need more protein that week. Same for adding the joico conditioner to my ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner for my DC or I'll add it to my Silk Elements Moisturizing Conditioner.

I add oils to my Cantu Leave in also...I can't wait to finish this and start with the natural Shea Butter so I can mix that too. Seems like ya'll have a lot of fun with the unrefined Shea Butter and playing mixologists:)

I would love to be able to mix up a big (like at least 8 oz) batch of something and have it indefinitely safe to use...I just need to figure out what preservatives I need to purchase from those natural do it yourself sites.

Also , if you use AO especially on dry hair, it's pretty much impossible to spread without an oil lol. It's so thick. .

This is so true. My last DC a few days ago was AO Honesuckle Rose on dry hair (with heating cap)...um, it wasn't my best DC and once I got into the shower to rinse and detangle, it was one of my most traumatic (hair loss and difficulty wise) detangling sessions of the past year.

1/4 Giovanni Direct, 1/4 Africa's Best Liquid Leave in Mayo, 1/2 Purified Water and maybe a splash of Aphogee Green Tea Restructurizer

2. What benefits/effects does the mix-in give you that the original commercial product did not impart?

I used both of these products alone and they did nothing for my hair and I hate to waste products. And I am in braid extensions so I said, once my braid spray finished I would mix these products to get rid of them. (When my hair is in braid extensions almost anything is a good moisturizer). When I sprayed this in my hair I was amazed at how moisturized my hair was, I was like I really stumbled onto something and my hair loves this mixture. Now I don't want to finish either product because I want to use it as a moisture spritz when I take my braids out. And I am determined not to buy hair products beyond braid spray and infusium 23

I rely on the products, but I have a small 2.4 oz spray bottle so I mix them in the morning and use them that day.

I add Honey and EVOO to most of my deep conditioner like Lekair and Elasta QP DPR 11.
I add Alfaparf Essential Shine Oil to my Silicon Mix for a special treat and shiney hair.

As a Rule.....no.....not so much.....I feel that the products I purchase, should be able to stand on their own.:look:

Recently though, I have been mixing alot of Conditioners that I am trying to use up with various oils that I am also trying to use up and adding oils that contain Ceramides.:yep:

The Oils have been giving them that extra added "Umph".....And it's been working out.

Especially in this cold weather.:lick:

It's funny so many are adding panthenol...I could have sworn I see that on most labels I looks at it (for conditioners).

I don't do as much mixing as I used to do back in the days now that I've settled into a regimen w/ products that can stand on their own, but when I am mixing something its usually coconut oil or almond oil going into a moisturizer or something :lol: I do still add almond oil to my relaxers.

OMG, honey, honey, honey!!! I use it up each application ... otherwise the pure honey stays in the container I bought from the store. Put it in my moisture DC app ... made a HUGE diff. in my hair's moisture.

I mix Aphogee 2 min w/a moisturizing conditioner or I'll add WEN to a protien conditioner. I feel like it enhances the results to my hair.

I've mixed stuff in and together for years now. I used to mix honey into my HE condish, but it made my hair stringy, so I stopped. Maybe it was the condish. I'd like to try with another conditioner though.

I also add EVOO to S-Curl, Mane 'N Tail condish, EQP Mango Butter, other conditioners and to whatever bottles of hair oil I have. I mix sulfur powder in oils to make my own MTG. I mix conditioners like Aussie Moist and VO5 Strawberries n Cream condish, or Nexxus Humectresss n AO Honeysuckle Rose. Whatever floats my boat, pretty much and based on what my hair needs. It's much better than the condish (1 or both) alone/applied separately.

The original products may not give enough slip or moisturization, or aid as much with detangling. I haven't had a problem with them going bad, because I only mix the honey in a dollop of condish I am using right then; the EVOO doesn't go bad once mixed in the products, and as for mixing conditioners, I just do it in my hand so I don't later regret mixing up a whole bottle if my hair decides it no longer likes it.

Back