Do you lose a lot of hair when you detangle?

~Nigeria~

I just took my braids out and washed my hair. As if I didn't have enough hair loss from wearing braids, so much hair came out from trying to detangle when I washed it. Even when I used products with supposedly all this slip to detangle , I still had tangles and I even broke the blow dryer comb in half when I was drying it :eek:. It's not a noticeable hair loss but I hate losing hair when I detangle! :mad: Does anybody else lose much hair even when using detangling hair products?

I try to detangle as much as possible before I wash. I don't comb my hair. I use my fingers and just work through each section of my hair. So far that's worked well for me.

LiqueXX

Yes, I lose lots of hair. It doesn't matter whether I comb before I wash or not. I just think it's the way my hair is.

Lotus

I wonder the same thing. I just took the front of my braids out and had them redone... and I lost what seemed to me to be an awful lot of hair. My cousin, the braider, said my hair loss was normal... but I dont know, maybe im just trippin'.

I feel like I would have lost less if I could have washed in my shower vs over a kitchen sink:mad: - I always tangle bad washing over a kitchen sink.

trinidarkie1

What scared me yesterday was that my hair just BROKE off. It was so dry, even after I saturated it with oils etc, it was just coming off in pieces.
I wanted to take a pic of my hands etc for you to see.
I wont be wearing that style AGAIN in my hair, it makes my hair too dry because of my exposed ends.

gradygirl

Yes, I used to wear my hair in micros all of the time but all the shedding and tangles that I was getting when I would take them down thinned my hair so bad I had to quit getting them. I loved the carefree style of the braids but my hair just could'nt take them.

Neroli

When I take braids down, I do not even attempt to detangle with a comb until after I wash and have my hair completely saturated with condish -- then I take my time (however long it takes!) and using fingers, put hair into sections (use clips to hold sections) and begin combing section by section -- I will divide into smaller sections if necessary and just take time until entire head is detangle -- it does take time and with my 4b hair, sometimes it will take AN HOUR OR MORE to get through the new growth without tearing/breaking my hair. IMO, the trick is to have two things going:

1. hair completely saturated with condish (I love humectress or humecto for this, or some other thick creamy condish); and
2. set aside enough time so don't have to rush.

I still lose some hair, but not nearly as much . . .

~Nigeria~

See, whether I detangle before or after a wash, saturate my hair with oils or products with good slip (hydrating detangling, humecto, the detangler), I still get tangles and a lot of hair down the drain. Is there any way to minimize this? May be washing in sections or something? It's like I dred washing my hair now.

MizAvalon

My hair is vey tangly, but I don't really lose much hair when I detangle. I wash my hair, then completely saturate it with conditioner, comb it under running shower water with my Jilbere shower comb and I'm good to go until next wash.

That comb is the BEST! :up:

CORBINS

~Nigeria~ said:
See, whether I detangle before or after a wash, saturate my hair with oils or products with good slip (hydrating detangling, humecto, the detangler), I still get tangles and a lot of hair down the drain. Is there any way to minimize this? May be washing in sections or something? It's like I dred washing my hair now.

I used to have this problem when I removed my braids. I used to dread the day when I removed them completely.
How long did you keep the braids in?
What products were you using to maintain your braids?
I can ask millions of questions!!

Sometimes you can use products that can dry your hair out so bad that it tangles. Also as you take the braids out, try to remove buildup completely and put some conditioner on it as you remove the braids and gently comb through. I use a roller to roll each section to keep them out of the way. After finishing, I remove each roller and put 6 braids on my head and wash in sections. I also usually wash and deep condition my hair with a moisturizing conditioner for about an hour under a hooded dryer with NO protein the same day I plan on taking my braids down. This helps soften my hair. Hope this helps!

~Nigeria~

CORBINS said:
I used to have this problem when I removed my braids. I used to dread the day when I removed them completely.
How long did you keep the braids in?
What products were you using to maintain your braids?
I can ask millions of questions!!

Sometimes you can use products that can dry your hair out so bad that it tangles. Also as you take the braids out, try to remove buildup completely and put some conditioner on it as you remove the braids and gently comb through. I use a roller to roll each section to keep them out of the way. After finishing, I remove each roller and put 6 braids on my head and wash in sections. I also usually wash and deep condition my hair with a moisturizing conditioner for about an hour under a hooded dryer with NO protein the same day I plan on taking my braids down. This helps soften my hair. Hope this helps!

I had my braids in for three weeks. I only used MTG and Surge when I was wearing my braids. When I took them out, I clarifyed with Kenra, shampooed with Keracare Hydrating detangling, and conditioned with Keracare humecto + Nexxus keraphix for an hour w/heat.

amy1234

it's def. normal for your hair to be shedding this much after removing braids because you really haven't combed your hair in three weeks and your hair naturally sheds up to 100 hairs per day. Don't feel bad, it's normal.

Armyqt

You are going to lose alot of hair aftr removing braids. This is hair that shed normally (remember normal shedding is btwn 50-100 strands per day) but didn't have a chance to be released via combing. So this is normal. Don't stress about it.

As you remove each braid from your hair comb that piece through and add some oil (EVOO) to that section. Do this for each little piece that you take out. After you've washed your hair, do an ACV rinse and then apply your CO. You should have no problems with matting or tangling using this method.

hottopic

Well you have to realize that when you are in braids you have not combed in a long time. So that might just be normal shedding that's happening. I still lose hair, but not that much. I try to saturate my hair with detangling conditioner and extra virgin olive oil first, then finger comb. Usually, it is best to comb with conditioner in there or when the hair is saturated with water. And I only use a shampoo comb, even when I am creating a style.

~Nigeria~

I realize that you lose a lot of hair when wearing braids because I've worn them most of my life (sometimes months at.a time). But when I'm detangling my hair, I know it's not shedding because I can feel my hair ripping off from trying to detangle my matted mess. No matter how much conditioner I put in my hair, it just won't detangle.

CORBINS

~Nigeria~ said:
I had my braids in for three weeks. I only used MTG and Surge when I was wearing my braids. When I took them out, I clarifyed with Kenra, shampooed with Keracare Hydrating detangling, and conditioned with Keracare humecto + Nexxus keraphix for an hour w/heat.

There is your problem sweetie! The MTG and the Surge. Surge can dry your hair out and cause shedding if you don't add something with a moisturizer to it. I know that when Surge was first introduced, we were all having problems with the product until they added Woojee cream and the Oil to the mix. I would recommend that next time you use a good braid spray to add moisture. Even try rubbing oil through your braids to lock in moisture and shine. I use Infusium 23 and to counter the dryness I mix it with braid spray. I think this may have answered your problem!

Divine Inspiration

MizAvalon said:
My hair is vey tangly, but I don't really lose much hair when I detangle. I wash my hair, then completely saturate it with conditioner, comb it under running shower water with my Jilbere shower comb and I'm good to go until next wash.

That comb is the BEST! :up:

Yes sir!!! The Jilbere shower comb is my saving grace. I still lose a ton of hair on wash day b/c I don't comb my hair at all during the week. I rarely even manipulate it so I have to constantly remind myself that what I'm seeing is a week's or 3 day's worth of shedding.

Yay for Jilbere! :clap:

~Nigeria~

Divine Inspiration said:
Yes sir!!! The Jilbere shower comb is my saving grace. I still lose a ton of hair on wash day b/c I don't comb my hair at all during the week. I rarely even manipulate it so I have to constantly remind myself that what I'm seeing is a week's or 3 day's worth of shedding.

Yay for Jilbere! :clap:

I think I may have to get this Jilbere shower comb. I have a wide-toothed comb that I use to detangle when I wash. I don't think it's by Jilbere though.

myco

~Nigeria~ said:
I think I may have to get this Jilbere shower comb. I have a wide-toothed comb that I use to detangle when I wash. I don't think it's by Jilbere though.

I held out for as long as I could with this comb. I didn't see how it could be any different from the wide tooth comb I already had. But I finally tried it and it has become my all purpose comb. It just feels more gentle in your hair both wet and dry and it does a great job detangling. I found mine for $2 at Sally's.