Do you kneel when you pray?

Do you kneel when you pray?

• yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • no

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters

Aveena

I know this is a personal question so I added a poll but for those who choose to respond I'd like to know, how do you humble yourself before God?

I see many people close their eyes when saying grace over a meal. But, I'm talking about those deep prayers about the major things in you heart and life. How do you humble yourself if not on your knees? Is it necessary? Scripture welcomed.

TIA

Sweet C

I very rarely kneel when I pray. I am typically either prayer walking a room or laying prostrate on my face. I humble myself before the Lord by laying prostrate before him. Both kneeling (Psa 95:6; Eph 3:14) and laying prostrate before him are showing reverance to God, worshipping him, and humbling yourself before him, though in scripture you more often find his people laying before him specifically in intercession (Num 24:4, Deut 9:18, 1 Ki 18:39, Dan 8:17).

gone_fishing

I pray throughout the day...eyes open or closed...I can pray.

But sometimes, when I have something inparticular that I need to repent for...or if I really just need to feel closer to Him...if I need to feel coddled like a baby...I'll get on both knees and put my head down to the floor. I know it's not necessary but I do it when I'm feeling particularly unworthy or needy (even though we are never worthy).

Also, if my heart is broken and I need Him, I've been known to curl up in the fetal position and pray/cry my heart out.

I love the Lord and I know he's not been too happy with me lately. I'll probably be on the floor tonight before bed. :nono:

meaganita

I pray whenever and wherever I need to. Mostly in private though. Sometimes I kneel...but not often. Usually my deepest prayers are filled with a level of emotion and humility that I would never reveal to anyone else...happy or sad. It's very intimate for me...Even typing this post feels a little strange....the annointing is very personal.

Aveena

It's funny I always felt guilty for not kneeling when I pray ESPECIALLY on serious matters. But I thought that I'd share - today on my way back home from a short road trip I heard a word from God concerning this matter. (I have not idea why its been on my mind?)

Anyway the preacher on the radio was talking about the everlasting love of the Lord! and in conversation said, "as we get on our knees at night in reverence-humbling-in respect not because we have to" bingo!!! :spinning: my ears purked up. I needed to hear that to let go of some guilt.

I suffered from not feeling worthy for a loooong time before I got saved. The words were comforting and I felt God's love. In fact, I felt he was speaking directly to me.

God is good.

Aveena

I very rarely kneel when I pray. I am typically either prayer walking a room or laying prostrate on my face. I humble myself before the Lord by laying prostrate before him. Both kneeling (Psa 95:6; Eph 3:14) and laying prostrate before him are showing reverance to God, worshipping him, and humbling yourself before him, though in scripture you more often find his people laying before him specifically in intercession (Num 24:4, Deut 9:18, 1 Ki 18:39, Dan 8:17).

thanks for this. :yep: I've done this naturally in the past it is most comforting.

Last edited:

Caramela

This is a good question... In service we bow our heads and close our eyes, at dinner grace my family and I close our eyes and bow our heads, but my personal prayers are often said during my day to day activities. I'm a big car prayer... on my way to and fro...
I'd like to see scripture as well... as far as I know, it's your spirit that has to be humbled, can that be done without getting on your knees?

ThursdayGirl

This is me. I'm a walker when its a deep prayer.

sweetcashew

I pray a lot. Several times during the day. If I'm in a position to kneel I'll kneel. It's not a necessity but I find when I'm kneeling I feel more humbled and in reverence.

Demi27

I don't, but it's because I talk to God throughout the day. When I talk to him, I speak to him as a friend. I will say my serious prayers at night when I'm in my bed. I feel more relaxed when I'm lying down in bed. Everything comes to my mind when I'm relaxed and I never want to forget anything when I'm talking to him.

michc

I'm all over the place - on my knees, spread out on the floor face-down, walking, sitting, standing. It really depends on my mood, what I'm praying for and of course where I am :yep:

Mamita

Back to basics
I kneel during the day liek u said when it's an "important" prayer, like to ask for help to change myself, or thank him when he blesses me...

the rest i'm usually in bed so i pray laying down

it does feel better and real humble

Naijaqueen

I knee, sit, lay down out flat on the ground, I walk, it depends on how I feel.
I pray driving sometimes so my eyes cant be closed then!:lachen:

motherx2esq

I pray in the car, in the shower, at work, in school, at the market. So no I do not always kneel. I just humble myself.

kally

I pray throughout the day...eyes open or closed...I can pray.

But sometimes, when I have something inparticular that I need to repent for...or if I really just need to feel closer to Him...if I need to feel coddled like a baby...I'll get on both knees and put my head down to the floor. I know it's not necessary but I do it when I'm feeling particularly unworthy or needy (even though we are never worthy).

Also, if my heart is broken and I need Him, I've been known to curl up in the fetal position and pray/cry my heart out.

I love the Lord and I know he's not been too happy with me lately. I'll probably be on the floor tonight before bed. :nono:

Same here to all the above.

motherx2esq

I don't, but it's because I talk to God throughout the day. When I talk to him, I speak to him as a friend. I will say my serious prayers at night when I'm in my bed. I feel more relaxed when I'm lying down in bed. Everything comes to my mind when I'm relaxed and I never want to forget anything when I'm talking to him.[/quote]

This is so me!