Do you have to get batptized as a christian???

cutiestyles

Hi ladies,

Please could you help me with this one because my boyfriend and I can't seem to agree with this. And our debates are getting pretty heated. Do you think it is necessary to be baptized in water as an adult? I always thought so because those that have as a child/baby had no choice in the matter. I asked one youth leader at my church and he said that it is important in your christian life to follow the examples of Jesus (as John baptized him). But my boyfriend said that because he was baptized as a child he hasn't an intention of getting baptized again. He said he also spoke to people 'deep' into their christianity and they agreed that it is not a necessary act to perform.
Is this the right attitude to have or am I wrong in my interpretation?
Along with your valued opinions if you have any quotes or relevant passages I'd be more than grateful.
Thanks

cutiestyles said:
Hi ladies,

Please could you help me with this one because my boyfriend and I can't seem to agree with this. And our debates are getting pretty heated. Do you think it is necessary to be baptized in water as an adult? I always thought so because those that have as a child/baby had no choice in the matter. I asked one youth leader at my church and he said that it is important in your christian life to follow the examples of Jesus (as John baptized him). But my boyfriend said that because he was baptized as a child he hasn't an intention of getting baptized again. He said he also spoke to people 'deep' into their christianity and they agreed that it is not a necessary act to perform.
Is this the right attitude to have or am I wrong in my interpretation?
Along with your valued opinions if you have any quotes or relevant passages I'd be more than grateful.
Thanks

I DO believe that water baptism is a necessary step in a person's Christian walk, as an outward expression of the newness Christ brings into your life. However, I do not think that a person is not a "Christian" if they aren't water baptized, because what if there was a drought and people were unable to get baptised, would they go to Hell? Well, I don't believe they would.

I agree. I believe it is necessary as an outward expression of total committment to following Christ and His example. When you are baptized by immersion as an adult, you are showing that you are the one choosing to this and you are fully aware of what you are doing. Babies don't know the difference or the significance when a little water is sprinkled on them.

ETA When we are baptized by immersion, we are symbolically putting to death the old sindful life and resurrecting into the new life in Christ.

I also agree with what has already been said by the other ladies here. Baptism was first preached by Peter after the crucification, resurrection and ascension of our Lord on the day of pentecost when he and other followers of Christ first received the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues(sp), the very first day the christian faith was born and began to spread from that day to this.

Acts 2:38 states
Then Peter said unto them repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

fivefoursweetie said:
I DO believe that water baptism is a necessary step in a person's Christian walk, as an outward expression of the newness Christ brings into your life. However, I do not think that a person is not a "Christian" if they aren't water baptized, because what if there was a drought and people were unable to get baptised, would they go to Hell? Well, I don't believe they would.

Firstly I would like to thank you ladies for your responses, they are very much appreciated.

Fivefoursweetie I wasn't suggesting that anyone that doesn't get baptized would go to hell, nobody should put themselves in a position to judge anyone. I believe that it is important to get baptized as an adult and have always been under the impression that as a christian baptism is a significant part of being born again.

I agree with everyone else. If he was baptized by emersion as child then he doesn't need to do it again. I was baptized as a child but did it again when I was 19 because i wanted to do it as part of my recommitment to Christ.

I'm still quite confused but I suppose its up to the individual and I think I should respect his decision not to. Thanks everyone for your contribution.

cutiestyles said:
Fivefoursweetie I wasn't suggesting that anyone that doesn't get baptized would go to hell, nobody should put themselves in a position to judge anyone. I believe that it is important to get baptized as an adult and have always been under the impression that as a christian baptism is a significant part of being born again.

Oh, I know that you weren't suggesting that. I was just trying to point out that there are a lot of different beliefs in areas such as these in the Christian rehelm, but I think that if people have their different beliefs then that is fine, as long as it doesn't determine their ultimate destination. For instance, my grandma goes to a church which believe that women shouldn't wear pants. I presonally don't believe that wearing pants or not wearing pants will not change my ultimate destination, so I respect how she feels and she respects what I believe. We don't try to show each other why we believe what each other believes, cause if it's not a Heaven or Hell determinant, I don't think it's a major deal. Every person has different things they believe, but as long as we can agree on Believing in Jesus; He knows and sees or heart.
Hope I cleared that up from my perspective.
It's great that you have a Christian boyfriend...that's more than I can say :) I'm still waiting (patiently ;) ) for God to send me my King. You are blessed girl. And as a side note kinda off topic...where did you meet this man. I am always curious where woman meet good Christian men.

Thanks fivefoursweetie!

I agree with you too. The most significant thing is that christians accept Jesus and believe that he is the Christ. I know people have their own beliefs; like some christians don't eat pork, some don't celebrate birthdays etc but it would be nice if I could share the same beliefs with my boyfriend.

And as for my boyf we are both kinda similar. We've been together for a while and have been through a lot of experiences together. We both are from Christian families but it wasn't a concious thing. When I met him I was young, wasn't looking for a boyfriend and I was inconsistent with my christianity.
We both lived in the same neighbourhood all our lives but until he approached me I had never seen him before! Maybe I walked past him who knows and it was like crazy because we know the same people and stuff but never met. Growing up together its like our relationship with God has become stronger. We have good conversations about the religion and what we learn at our own churches and we encourage each other to pray. I think prayer is the key to maintaining a relationship with God and he will work on everything else in our lives. I know it has definately made me and my relationship stronger.

Yes, most people if they have been baptized as a child and for whatever reason fell from the Church and then come back does not need to be baptized again but should redeciated themselves to God. If he has been in the Church since a child there is not reason for rededicaiton but if he backslide and is coming back to the fold it is suggested but not mandatory to rededicate either private or public which ever he prefers. Some Churches called this when a person joins the Church as "grace experience". But this can also mean someone is transfering from another Church. :)

cutiestyles said:
Thanks fivefoursweetie!

I agree with you too. The most significant thing is that christians accept Jesus and believe that he is the Christ. I know people have their own beliefs; like some christians don't eat pork, some don't celebrate birthdays etc but it would be nice if I could share the same beliefs with my boyfriend.

And as for my boyf we are both kinda similar. We've been together for a while and have been through a lot of experiences together. We both are from Christian families but it wasn't a concious thing. When I met him I was young, wasn't looking for a boyfriend and I was inconsistent with my christianity.
We both lived in the same neighbourhood all our lives but until he approached me I had never seen him before! Maybe I walked past him who knows and it was like crazy because we know the same people and stuff but never met. Growing up together its like our relationship with God has become stronger. We have good conversations about the religion and what we learn at our own churches and we encourage each other to pray. I think prayer is the key to maintaining a relationship with God and he will work on everything else in our lives. I know it has definately made me and my relationship stronger.

Well God bless your relationship and I know that God's Will will be done in the relationship.
Side note...is it difficult to date someone going to a different church than you? Just curious cause I've heard some people say it matters and others that say it don't. I personally haven't experienced it, so I just wondered. :)

I think that the following scriptures will help u to get a deeper understanding of what Jesus said about baptism:

MARK 16:14-18
jesus said that only when u believe and u are baptized u are saved. it means that baptism is God given plan to salvation. therefore how can an infant understand the scriptures and believe the bible? he's definetely too young.

ACTS 19:1-6
in this scripture these men were already baptized by john, though they were already baptized, they understand that it wasn't the type of baptism essential for their salvation, so they did rebaptize again.

for example my mom was baptized at the age of 12, but when she got a deeper understanding of the bible, especially of these scriptures, she allowed herself to be rebaptized. or even myself, i was baptized when I was an infant, but i decided to get baptized again when I fully had an understanding of who GOD is and what is His plan of salvation for his people.

the bible makes it clear that baptism is on of the 3 constitutive elements of salvation that God has given us. without baptism you cannot be saved (John 3:1-20 born again christian). these are not my words, but it is God who says so.

sorry for the long post but I hope it is helpful for u and your boyfriend.
stay bless!

lolla2005 said:
I think that the following scriptures will help u to get a deeper understanding of what Jesus said about baptism:

MARK 16:14-18
jesus said that only when u believe and u are baptized u are saved. it means that baptism is God given plan to salvation. therefore how can an infant understand the scriptures and believe the bible? he's definetely too young.

ACTS 19:1-6
in this scripture these men were already baptized by john, though they were already baptized, they understand that it wasn't the type of baptism essential for their salvation, so they did rebaptize again.

for example my mom was baptized at the age of 12, but when she got a deeper understanding of the bible, especially of these scriptures, she allowed herself to be rebaptized. or even myself, i was baptized when I was an infant, but i decided to get baptized again when I fully had an understanding of who GOD is and what is His plan of salvation for his people.

the bible makes it clear that baptism is on of the 3 constitutive elements of salvation that God has given us. without baptism you cannot be saved (John 3:1-20 born again christian). these are not my words, but it is God who says so.

sorry for the long post but I hope it is helpful for u and your boyfriend.
stay bless!

lolla2005 I really appreciate your feed back. I will definately be looking at your recommended scriptures they will are and will prove very valuable. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom!

fivefoursweetie said:
Well God bless your relationship and I know that God's Will will be done in the relationship.
Side note...is it difficult to date someone going to a different church than you? Just curious cause I've heard some people say it matters and others that say it don't. I personally haven't experienced it, so I just wondered. :)

Thanks fivefour sweetie! I also know that by God's grace he will find you a perfect mate. I've found that patience and endurance are good qualities to have because God has a plan for all us which he will reveal in his own time.

As for the churches he's recently started going to a new church which he intends on sticking with. I'd like him to come to mine for a visit but I'll just have to wait and see. I've been to his once for a visit but that was before he started going, but I prefer mine. I'm not sure if it is difficult but it would make life easier if we did. I think it is particularly important for people that are engaged or are married. In my church when you plan to get married you have counselling and bible studies together with the pastor. And as we said before each individual has their own beliefs so church beliefs and practices will be on a different scale. We always ask each other questions about our churches. I know when I visted his church they emphasized being born again as acceptance of Jesus mostly but my church encourages both believing and practicing his teachings/examples i.e baptism.

I've read through a few of the responses... a couple of them made me chuckle, I must say ;)

However, on a serious note, being immersed in water doesn't make you a Christian. What makes you a Christian is your beliefs; your faith; what's in your heart; and how you live your life.

Think about it... all the people who are immersed in water and proclaim to be Christians, but are clearly (based on their non-Christ-like behavior) not Christians...

Just think about it...

I believed at one time that I was a Christian... yes, I was IMMERSED in water at the age of 9... at 37, I realize I'm not a Christian now, and I wasn't a Christian then.

Examine the heart of a person... God bless you.

One more thing, the thief on the cross... what did Jesus tell him? The thief was clearly not immersed in water when Jesus saved him.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with water immersion, but it's not a necessary act if you truly are a Christian.

BE A BELIEVER!

Blossssom said:
One more thing, the thief on the cross... what did Jesus tell him? The thief was clearly not immersed in water when Jesus saved him.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with water immersion, but it's not a necessary act if you truly are a Christian.

BE A BELIEVER!

Very good point

cutiestyles said:
Thanks fivefour sweetie! I also know that by God's grace he will find you a perfect mate. I've found that patience and endurance are good qualities to have because God has a plan for all us which he will reveal in his own time.

As for the churches he's recently started going to a new church which he intends on sticking with. I'd like him to come to mine for a visit but I'll just have to wait and see. I've been to his once for a visit but that was before he started going, but I prefer mine. I'm not sure if it is difficult but it would make life easier if we did. I think it is particularly important for people that are engaged or are married. In my church when you plan to get married you have counselling and bible studies together with the pastor. And as we said before each individual has their own beliefs so church beliefs and practices will be on a different scale. We always ask each other questions about our churches. I know when I visted his church they emphasized being born again as acceptance of Jesus mostly but my church encourages both believing and practicing his teachings/examples i.e baptism.

Thank you for sharing. You give me hope for the future. And yes God is truly working patience in me. I just KNOW that God has someone way better than I can even think or dream!!!

Back