Do You Have Layers??? Like 'Em or Hate 'Em??

Lindy

Ladies, What are the advantages and disadvantages of having layers cut into your hair? My hair has thinned out so much in the past few months that I'm seriously contemplating asking my stylist to give me some layers the next time I relax, just so that I can have a decent looking style (with some fullness) when I wear my hair out.

I just don't want to regret it, cuz I know how hard it can be to grow them out!! :look:

2grlsandme

I am also thinking about this. I keep trying to convince myself to wait until I get more length but I keep seeing all these beautiful heads cut in layers. :ohwell:

STLCoverGirl

I have layers and I love them. I thought about getting a blunt cut for about two seconds, but my hair grows at different rates all over. I like the body and dimension layers give me, also the longer my hair gets I think it starts looking thinner. The layers give me more fullness, especially when wearing washngo's.

WriterGirl

My hair is cut right now in layers. I LOVE my layers. However at this time, I have shorter hair. When I had longer hair, I liked the blunt cut.

I'm growing my layers out now and it's going to take a minute, so I guess it depends on how you wear your hair. Layers look good with bumped/curly styles and give lots of body.

If you have long layers, you could still work a straight style though.

Traycee

I cut bangs and front layers.....it was so pretty it was layered around my face....now I'm growing them out..it's taking for-ever...you can see the side layers in my siggy...

lovelymissyoli

DON'T DO IT!! I repeat: "DON'T DO IT!!"

I absolutely LOATHE my layers right now :wallbash:! When I first got them some of my styles were cute, but for about 9 months now I've been unable to wear twists (used to be my signature style), box braids, a decent rollerset (just tried this), etc. I called myself getting a ton of layers for dimension -- the shortest one being above ear length and the rest being layered underneath that one. Let me tell you --- I still haven't grown those things out, and from what I hear, it's going to take me a couple of years.

If you're getting subtle layers, that's fine, but my styles look horrible because the layers makes my hair look spacey in certain styles like box braids or twists. Also, there's the issue of pulling all of my hair back into one ponytail. I have to wait until all the layers catch up before the ponytail will even look thick.

...I digress...

STLCoverGirl

I cut bangs and front layers.....it was so pretty it was layered around my face....now I'm growing them out..it's taking for-ever...you can see the side layers in my siggy...

I have the same issue with my front sides, they're only a few inches longer than when I started my journey in 2004. I have probably retained 5-6" in 4 years in the front. ETA-The only thing I regret is cutting bangs..don't do it!

tbaby_8

I have layers and keep them all the time. I love them. They make my hair look very full. Yes, they can be hard to grow them out, especially if you are not patient. But if you want your hair to look full, especially with a roller set, then you may want to try layers. Try getting long layers first, then go shorter when you feel braver.:yep:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I HATE HATE HATE MY LAYERS! My nape is shoulder length and my sides are cheek level.:ohwell: It makes my pony tail look stupid because my hair won't stay in the holder.:blush: :ohwell:

Lindy

OK, thanks ladies... I don't think I'll be doing it... :nono: I hate when my hair is all different lengths. And it's true that a lot of styles don't look right with layered hair... :ohwell: I'm going to just try being patient and hope that my hair will start looking right eventually, without doing anything drastic to it... :look:

Cleve_gryl

I love mine, and will always keep long layers in my hair no matter how long it gets :yep:. It adds volume and I have a lot more movement. My shortest layer is my bang which hits about 3" below my chin.

pisceschica

Ladies, What are the advantages and disadvantages of having layers cut into your hair? My hair has thinned out so much in the past few months that I'm seriously contemplating asking my stylist to give me some layers the next time I relax, just so that I can have a decent looking style (with some fullness) when I wear my hair out.

I just don't want to regret it, cuz I know how hard it can be to grow them out!! :look:

Advantages:
*adds volume to flat hair
*removes bulk and weight for those that have alot of hair or very dense hair
*versatile styling does't just "lay" there like someone with a blunt cut (all one length)

Disadvantages:
*depending on how short they are can take forever to grow out
*don't always grow out well
*sometimes don't look good if not always styled
*If too many layers or too short can make an already light density hair look like its thinning.

Me personally my hair is ov light to medium density. So I want enough layers that will give me some body especially when I wet set but not to much that they make my hair look "thin" when its straighted out. Right now my hair is in rounded layers and it works well for me especially when i curl it. I have a pear shaped face so I need some height and volume.

If I was you I would personally do long layres or when your stylist cuts your hair make it crystal clear that you don't want the shortest layer to be SIGNIFCANTLY shorter than hte overall length. The shorter the shortest layer is is in relation to your overall length the more layers you are going to have.

blue_flower

I HATE LAYERS!!!! Look in my fotiki album! I thought layers would make my hair less bulky, but instead my hair looked short and bulk with long see through ends! I tried to grow the layers out, but it took over. Back in November I cut my hair to shoulder length so my hair could quickly grow back in one length. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Creatividual

The good thing is that they look nice and if you have fine to medium hair it gives the illusion of fuller hair w/ lots of body. The down side is, they can be a b!*c% to grow out. You either cut your hair to the shorter layers to grow it out evenly or grow it out n cut gradually to even it out.

Creatividual

I HATE LAYERS!!!! Look in my fotiki album! I thought layers would make my hair less bulky, but instead my hair looked short and bulk with long see through ends! I tried to grow the layers out, but it took over. Back in November I cut my hair to shoulder length so my hair could quickly grow back in one length. NEVER AGAIN!!!

ITA! My layers looked nice when I had them but I had them all over my head and it just became a pain in the arse to maintain them. I'm on track to be BSL soon. but I'm really contemplating cutting back to APL to even out my hair more. I don't think I will be doing layers anymore as well. If I do, it would just be in the front and not all over like before.:nono:

Caramela

When I have layers I love them at first, and when they start to grow out I regret it. But then again when myhair is all one length, I start to get bored with it.
Both ways can be beautiful in all honesty.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
It all depends on how I'm trying to wear my hair. Ponytails? Forget it! I hate my fresh layers in a ponytail because it looks more like a rat tail LOL There's no fullness to it at all... just sad looking. If I do curls and then gently tug at the layers to direct the shape going towards the back, my hair looks SO NICE!! I love them then!:yep:

ricochet

I have layers and I love them. I thought about getting a blunt cut for about two seconds, but my hair grows at different rates all over. I like the body and dimension layers give me, also the longer my hair gets I think it starts looking thinner. The layers give me more fullness, especially when wearing washngo's.

Ditto! Love 'em!

hillytmj

It all depends on how I'm trying to wear my hair. Ponytails? Forget it! I hate my fresh layers in a ponytail because it looks more like a rat tail LOL There's no fullness to it at all... just sad looking. If I do curls and then gently tug at the layers to direct the shape going towards the back, my hair looks SO NICE!! I love them then!:yep:

ITA...I love my layers most of the time, but the ponytail can be deceptive in terms of gaging your length. I had blunt ends in college and my hair was about the same length it is now; however, it looked longer because I wore my hair in a ponytail everyday and it had no layers.

If you want layers, start with the long layers before doing anything drastic.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I want to get long layers when I get just past waist length, with the shortest one being at my brastrap. My curly hair looks odd because my hair is cut blunt and when straight there isn't as much bounce as I would like.

Healthb4Length

I have love/hate relationship with my layers. I love the layers when I wear my hair curly whenever I have a nice tight rollerset. I hate whenever I try to put my hair in a bun it and those little ends can't catch up and I have to use a little gel or something, it can be annoying.