Do you condition as directed?

Do you condition as directed on the label i.e. according to time guidelines?

• Total voters

Amour

I was on another site early, and it was saying that you could be doing your hair more harm than good if you exceed the recommended time to leave your conditioner. I never go with what it says on the label. Think i've adopted my moms way of thinking i.e. if it says 10 mins, do it for at least another 5 :lol:.

What about you guys?

tld723

There are usually no chemicals in conditioners to permanently change the hair, so I believe it can't hurt if you leave it on longer. It may not do any more good, but I usually leave it in longer, just in case it does:D

Princess Pie

Nope. I never follow the directions on poos, conditioners, or leave-ins. I do what works for my hair... sometimes that means more time, and sometimes it means less. Everybody's hair is different, and mine has definite likes and dislikes. The only thing I try to follow the directions on is relaxer. :lol:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Most conditioners say shampoo, rinse and towel dry hair, then apply some amount of the conditioner for some amount of time, but I rarely read past the shampoo and rinse part. I do follow the directions for moderate or heavy protein conditioners though.

LocksOfLuV

Princess Pie said:
Nope. I never follow the directions on poos, conditioners, or leave-ins. I do what works for my hair... sometimes that means more time, and sometimes it means less. Everybody's hair is different, and mine has definite likes and dislikes. The only thing I try to follow the directions on is relaxer. :lol:

Yep me too. I go by what I know about my hair and about the hair science I learned.

For me, leaving a conditioner on 1-2 minutes ain't gon cut it. I think they do that because they know 1. that that conditioning won't last long and 2. that you will have to reapply again sooner, making you use more product. So NO I do not follow the bottles on nothing except for relaxers and aphogee (the big one).

shunta

LocksOfLuV said:
Yep me too. I go by what I know about my hair and about the hair science I learned.

For me, leaving a conditioner on 1-2 minutes ain't gon cut it. I think they do that because they know 1. that that conditioning won't last long and 2. that you will have to reapply again sooner, making you use more product. So NO I do not follow the bottles on nothing except for relaxers and aphogee (the big one).
Amen, sista!

OT--Lovin the new avatar!:)

CoCoGirl821

I never follow directions. Especially on products made for white people, for example it tells you to leave condioner on for 3 mintues, yeah right:lachen:what does that do.

RosesBlack

The only thing I follow directions on is relaxers. I condition depending on how my hair is feeling right then. More time, less time. Sometimes I'll mix conditioners it really depends.

MzOptimistic

I never follow the directions on conditioners. I always deep condition under a heating cap for 30 minutes. Some conditioners I use says to sit under a dryer for 10-15 minutes but I do 30 minutes anyway and some conditioners don't say anything about sitting under a dryer and I sit under a dryer anyway for 30 mins.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Nope I do not follow their directions....I tend to leave my deep conditioner on for an hour under the hair dryer and with regular conditioner I've slept with it on my hair overnight or during the day I leave it on for several hours before rinsing it out.

RubyWoo

Yes, I always follow the directions. I read in a black magazine(I believe it was Sophisticate's but I'm not too sure) a few years ago that leaving conditioner in hair longer than instructed can(I'm sure there are exceptions though) damage your hair and ever since then I try to go by the instructions. There have been times that I may have left the conditioner on 1-2 min longer but nothing beyond that. It is very possible to over-condition your hair and that is just as bad as not conditioning at all as it can lead to breakage.

Dee-Licious

LocksOfLuV said:

Yep. I just follow aphogee directions.... kinda wary on the times with relaxers though. I'm bone straight and with my roots sometimes :look: you know...

Amour

Naturellle said:
Yes, I always follow the directions. I read in a black magazine(I believe it was Sophisticate's but I'm not too sure) a few years ago that leaving conditioner in hair longer than instructed can(I'm sure there are exceptions though) damage your hair and ever since then I try to go by the instructions. There have been times that I may have left the conditioner on 1-2 min longer but nothing beyond that. It is very possible to over-condition your hair and that is just as bad as not conditioning at all as it can lead to breakage.

thats what the site I was on was kinda saying I think it was www.naani.com . I never considered ever going by the directed time especially when it says leave on for 1-2 mins, or apply conditioner and rinse :cool: . But I got thinking after reading it on a black formulated website that maybe its worth a try, Naturelle, did you notice any benefits, difference when following the directions?

Dee-Licious

Naturellle said:

IMO over-conditioning comes from what products you are using and how often - too much too often. The time a conditioner is left on will not truly contribute to over-conditoning.

But of course do what works best for your hair. Happy Growing.

Amour

MsDee4 said:
Yep. I just follow aphogee directions.... kinda wary on the times with relaxers though. I'm bone straight and with my roots sometimes :look: you know...

Whoa your hair has feeling thickened up from july to dec, what did you do for all that volume and body? it looks GREAT!

MzOptimistic

MsDee4 said:
IMO over-conditioning comes from what products you are using and how often - too much too often. The time a conditioner is left on will not truly contribute to over-conditoning.

But of course do what works best for your hair. Happy

Growing.

I agree about the overconditioning but I nip that in the bud by rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein treatment every time I deep condition my hair for 30 mins under the heating cap which is every 3 days and my hair is thanking me BIG time...this keeps my moisture/ protein balance in check:) I agree with MsDee...do whatever works for your hair bcuz what works for others may not work for you:)

shunta

tsmith said:
I agree about the overconditioning but I nip that in the bud by rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein treatment every time I deep condition my hairevery 3 days and my hair is for 30 mins under the heating cap which is thanking me BIG time...this keeps my moisture/ protein balance in check:) I agree with MsDee...do whatever works for your hair bcuz what works for others may not work for you:)
I like that idea. Im gonna try it this way. So protein every other wash its gonna be (a light protein).

MzOptimistic

shunta said:
I like that idea. Im gonna try it this way. So protein every other wash its gonna be (a light protein).

Yep, a light protein something like CPR motions, AO GPB...you know light proteins...I always throw what I do out there...hoping someone will catch it;)

shunta

tsmith said:
Yep, a light protein something like CPR motions, AO GPB...you know light proteins...I always throw what I do out there...hoping someone will catch it;)
And I caught it:)

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Yes, I usually follow the time as directed for deep conditioning. I only go over the limit if I'm on the phone or something, and I lose track of time.

But then again, I use instant conditioners for co-washing. I guess I don't condition as directed after all. :look:

LaNecia

OT: Princess Pie, your hair color is bangin'!! Beautiful!! I wish mine were light enough to grab henna red like that!

On Topic: I rarely ever condition as directed...why read instructions?! :lol: J/K, I don't switch around conditioners much anymore. The ones I have all have different purposes so I use them according to my hair needs at the time and what I have found works for my hair.

Princess Pie

VWVixxen said:
OT: Princess Pie, your hair color is bangin'!! Beautiful!! I wish mine were light enough to grab henna red like that!
Thank you! Looking at your results helped me decide to give henna a try. :)