Do ponytails break your hair off?

keez1979

I always pull my hair back in a ponytail at the nape of my neck. I don't use rubber bands, just those little black elastic bands. A beautician told me that this would break off my top hair once. Do you think this is true? I remember when I was in the 6th grade, there was a little girl whose mother ALWAYS put her hair back in a ponytail; she is in her 20's now and still has thick, beautiful hair. Thanks!!!

kymelle1

Hi keez1979,

I think that as long as you don't put too much stress on the hair and nape, by making the ponytail too tight its ok.

I've done it for the last month and I have great results.

Trinity1

I had a ponytail nightmare last night. For the last week I've been wearing my hair in a pony tail. Well last night I went to take my ponytail holder out and accidentally tore off about 6-7 ends on my hair strands. Needless to say I almost died. Now ofcourse breaking 6-7 strands when you have thousands of strands of hair wont change the appearance of your hair but when you're like me and working so hard to care for your hair you dont want to lose any strands. Anyway I digress.......I believe over time if you continuously wear a tight ponytail then your edges will eventually begin to get thin. I advise on changing up your hairstyle every week or so.

Tee Tee

bimbabe

I was/am a ponytail queen and it did lead to breakage in my crown area. The places where the scrunchie touched broke in half. What I didn't know was that you should use satin scrunchies, change the ponytail position and try to rotate other hair accessories.
Goodluck!

ThursdayGirl

I agree with bimbabe. i had breakage from wearing a ponytail all the time... in the same position. I was using elastic holders that were supposed to be hair-friendly. Now i just put my hair in a claw clip. It seems to be doing better. I still get some breakage when I airdry my hair in a ponytail close to touchup time... I still get some broken strands
. The moral of the story... I am laying off ponytails to let my hair get longer again.

nijilah

When I am not wearing a phony pony, I wear a very loose ponytail with a satin scrunchie. When I wear a phony pony too much (like a few weeks), I start to feel pressure wear the pony tail in concentrated, so I switch up the style. I pull my hair tight to do the phony pony, but otherwise, the hair is loose.

inthepink

I make sure to keep my ponytails loose using scrunchies and vary it up sometimes like a barrette updo. Leave the ponytail for the least amount of time as necessary - like when you get home from work/school, take it down.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Like everyone says,

Just make sure that you vary your style up from time to time if you're wearing your hair pulled back often. Also, make sure to use a hair-friendly band to secure the hair.

lunalight7

Ive been using the hair friendly bands by scunci that are like pantyhose rings. No problem for the first month or so. Now, I see hair in the holders when I remove them. I dont know haow else to airdry w/o these things b/c my hair is too short to make a bun. Any suggestions?

inthepink

lunalight - try using satin or silk scrunchies. I use these to airdry my ponytail and I never notice any hair when I remove them.

lunalight7

Thanks hairlove. I also like to wear the ponytail as a style but I dont have enough hairs to hold the scrunchie in place. Im also not crazy about the scrunchy look...(sigh)

Isis

Have you tried wearing a French Twist? It is supposed to work with most hair lengths and it looks like your hair is fuller and longer than it really is. And I just learned on another post (Do French Twists Break Off?)that it is best and safest to do the style with hair pins like the Good Hair Days plastic ones.

I wore one last week and a boy (white)about 13 years old said, "Wow, you're wearing a French Twist! I bet your hair is really long, can you take it down?" I thanked him and kind of marveled that he was up on hair styles. I didn't take it down however.

sylviaetc

i used to wear a phoney pony exclusively for 5 yrs and when i stopped i noticed that i lost hair in the section of the crown area where the hair pins or comb slid in to attatch the pony to my hair....