Do I need to straighten my hair first before getting it trimmed?

Tene

I wanted to go to the salon to get my hair trimmed this weekend. I haven't trimmed in like over 3 months. I was wondering do I need to straighten my hair first before I let them trim my hair. Or could they just trim it like it is?

balisi

That all depends on two main things:
1. How proficient the stylist is at trimming unstraightened hair
2. How much you trust your stylist

Have you asked your salon/stylist about this?

skegeesmb

I usually have my hair straightened to get a cut. Some stylists just can't cut curly hair all that well.

Tene

balisi said:
That all depends on two main things:
1. How proficient the stylist is at trimming unstraightened hair
2. How much you trust your stylist

Have you asked your salon/stylist about this?

No I haven't asked she doesn't even know I'm transitioning. I haven't been to her in a couple months.

prettyinpurple

I would only straighten it before trimming if you plan on wearing it straight often. I never straighten my natural hair so I prefer it to be trimmed curly. The thing about straightening and then trimming is that shrinkage is a mutha. And your hair may look totally different after it shrinks back to its natural state. I also like my hair trimmed while dry or at least partially dry, again to see what it looks like with shrinkage.

KiniKakes

Perhaps you can just roller set ure transitioning hair and sit under a dryer, which will straighten it just enough to get a good, even trim.... afterward, if you prefer a curly look, you can wash it again. Either way, you're not using direct heat so it shouldnt be too damaging, right?