Do afro puffs contribute to spit ends if worn regularly? (for ladies who wear puffs)

Do you notice more split ends when wearing afro-puffs on a daily/regular basis

• yes ( please explain how often you wore hair in puff)

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • no( please explain how often you wore hair in puff)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • other (explain)

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jrsmith

I've just started wearing my hair in an afro puff, and I'm really excited because this is the first all-natural style that I've tried wearing that looks good on me (sorry no pics...I know :nono:).

Unfortunately, I read that because my ends are exposed I am allowing myself to be more susceptible to split ends. I definitely don’t want to lose the progress that I have been making so I've been moisturizing and sealing my hair on a daily basis. Should this be ok? Or should I really limit how often I wear my hair this way?

PS. I am not using any heat from the blow dryer and I am finger detangling daily :yep:

song_of_serenity

Re: Do afro puffs contribute to spit ends if worn regularly? (for ladies who wear puf

I wore puffs for the first year of my natural journey...didn't really get splits but single strand knots galore! Still do wear them, but i try to wear twists more often. Just up moisture and watch out for your edges...I dont use heat either but maybe a twistout puff for stretched hair? It one can last a week so it isn't constant twisting manipulation.

Jrsmith

Re: Do afro puffs contribute to spit ends if worn regularly? (for ladies who wear puf

I agree. I'm definately getting a lot of ssk's. Did you retain a lot of length with them?
Thanks for your response :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I voted other. I believe that afro puffs can only cause split ends if you excessively manipulate and roughly comb through dry ends to achieve the puff.

BlaqBella

I started wearing my first natural puff in January this year and didn't realize how bad off my ends already were. After doing a 3-4 inch or so chop and beginning a new trim regimen my hair is just about back at the length I had in January (CL/ +). I have been wearing my puff again and my ends are in better health, I believe because they are now more moisturized, and I don't get many ssk's at all. Like another poster said it seems to be connected with dry hair..idk

ETA: and/or bad ends...

Last edited:

song_of_serenity

I agree. I'm definately getting a lot of ssk's. Did you retain a lot of length with them?
Thanks for your response :)

I did! Ssk don't bother me but, it can be detrimental if that area gets weak...:/

FoxxyLocs

For me they cause SSKs, not splits. I used to only wear them every once in a while. Now I don't wear them at all because my puff has gotten too big.

kandake

I wore puffs exclusively for about 6 months. I didn't have any issues with split ends but like the other ladies I did have problems with SSKs.

brucebettye

I wear an afro puff everyday and I don't get spilt ends. I don't comb my hair or really do anything to my hair when I am wearing it everyday. The only thing I do is slick my edges down with gel using my hands(no brush) and re apply moisture to my puff when needed. Also I don't have any problem with hair growth. I just make sure to cut my hair when needed.

Krystle~Hime

an "out" style can not hurt ends unless you don't properly moisture and seal(and protect hair by night)
I personally think that puff only hurt edges if there are done too many times and/or too tightly.
check out the pinned thread "protective styles"(it's not only for protective hairstyles, but just for hairstyles ideas :yep: )or youtube. you have tons of styles, puffs arent the only one.

yes i know you didn't ask for ideas, but Ive just wanted to say that natural hair isn't called versatility for nothing :rolleyes:

RegaLady

Yes.

I was natural many moons ago before my healthy hair journey and that was my natural hairstyle of choice. My hair would always have splits and I could not retain any length. Puffs are a no go for me.

Jrsmith

an "out" style can not hurt ends unless you don't properly moisture and seal(and protect hair by night)
I personally think that puff only hurt edges if there are done too many times and/or too tightly.
check out the pinned thread "protective styles"(it's not only for protective hairstyles, but just for hairstyles ideas :yep: )or youtube. you have tons of styles, puffs arent the only one.

yes i know you didn't ask for ideas, but Ive just wanted to say that natural hair isn't called versatility for nothing :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement to try new styles :) I am finally learning what products are good for my hair which means my hair is no longer extremely dry but easier to manage. I think im starting to like my hair more curly than straight :) :spinning: who knew :yep:

Last edited:

Nonie

Afro puffs are the only way I wear my hair. I MUST comb my hair if I wear it out and combing out means fanned out afro. I prefer pushing it back hence the puff as opposed to an out afro. I use S Curl so shrinkage is to a max. I don't get knots. I don't get tangles. I never have to detangly my hair. Just braid it at night and baggy, comb out in the morning into a puff and style. Hair stays detangled and my regimen stays simple. I cannot imagine the tangles I'd have to deal with if I didn't comb my hair out into a puff every time I wore it out--when it is not flat ironed that is.

ETA: I don't believe afro puffs contribut to split ends. They aren't a protective style but they if your ends are moisturized and in the case of kinky hair coiled so they are sorta tucked in, then I consider puffs better than dangling straight ponies that rub against clothes (That friction will cause split ends).

Last edited:

westNDNbeauty

I think wearing a textured style that is COMBED will wear on your hair. The ending result, if no splits visible, will probably result in less retention.

tarheelgurl

How do you prevent SSKs?? I have been getting since the BC....TIA.

ChocolatePie777

I dont see why you wouldget extra splits but ssks definetly

SunRai Naturals

I wore a puff for years and it was a hot mess. My hair tangles at the ends and it shrinks so when it came time to detangle that became the perfect storm for BReAkage! That coupled with me not moisturizing correctly and ripping the comb through it just made it worse. I had split ends and ssk's.

Last edited:

Danewshe

Puffs definitely caused a lot of issues for my hair (splits, ssk's, breakage in crown and edges) in my first year of being natural. I don't recommend that style for 4b hair.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal

I don't know if there's a general answer to this question but I tend to get ssk when I wear my hair in a puff. I still rock a puff from at times...not very often though

missliberia

No, they did not on my hair. I too wore a puff 75% of my first year natural. This was my regimen after I was getting kilt (yeah, KILT) my SSK's.

cowash, moisturize with care free curl gold, seal with coconut oil (very important to moisturize and seal when wearing shrunken styles or it is SSK city!)

I never detangled with a comb during this period as my hair was shorter. I finger detangled. I used a knee high and pulled my hair into a puff, geled down the edges with the eco styler olive oil, put on a scarf and went to sleep. In the morning, I would spritz my puff with water, fluff it out and go. After that first night, when I would get home from work I'd take the knee high off (whoo! ain't nothin' like releasin' your hair and taking off your bra after a long day, is it?! :lachen:) But I digress...

So, I'd go to sleep with a satin bonnet, wake up, put the knee high back in place, spritz and fluff my puff and keep it moving like this until the next cowash day. I've NEVER dealt with any split ends as a natural. Only SSK's.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!

It depends on your hair. I have rhinocerous-tough hair. When I was natural my hair was exposed 90% of the time.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

I think it can depending on what products or routine you have. When i first went natural I had baaaaad splits..for a long while. I was going through my PJ thang and no matter what product I used I would get these terrible, mid shaft splits and holes. I then started using oils to seal which helped a little with the splits but I'd still get tons of ssk's. When I started using a heavier product as a leave in (butters, butter mixes or really heavy creams) they ceased. I don't have a major problem with splits now when I wear my puffs (mostly in the summer).

faithVA

I'm 4b and I don't get any more SSKs than I do when i wear twists. I tend to get SSKs from dryness. If I can keep my hair moisturized then I can prevent the SSKs. But I've noticed if the ends of my twists dry out it's SSK city. And as another poster said, using a heavy cream works better than oil.

greenandchic

For me it was all about the SSKs. I love my puffs, but I can't wear my signature photo hair too often because of the damage.

BlackDiamond21

SSKs to Split Ends & Tension From Puffs:

I started wearing puffs for the first time last summer when my hair was finally long enough to do so. I was SO DAMN excited, I felt I had reached a milestone.

Well after summer was all said and done, I noticed in the fall I had a nice amount of SSKs but devastated to also learn I had two bald patches on my scalp - one on each side of my head.

First I panicked and thought I was balding (runs on my Mom's side). Then after a week of really thinking on it and about a month later trying to do a late in the Fall puff, I realized, all those days in the summer were my puff was hurting, it was creating traction alopecia!

I was raised to not be tender headed, aka BEAR THE PAIN TO LOOK CUTE, so I would just keep moving my Goody Ouchless bands mm by mm when they were on my head and trying to stretch the bands with my arms as the knee-hi method wasn't working for me.

I have been growing it back with the helpful advice of all the natural diva's online (TY) & my Jamaican Black Castor custom All Natural Oil Mix.

Back to your question, in January I did a self trim to get rid of my SSKs because for me, they were breaking off my hair and/or I was pulling them off when I randomly found one (yeah I suffer from HIH Syndrome)and therefore creating split ends :sad:

So for this summer, I will be wearing puffs every now and again, use more protective styling options (bantu knots, braid/twist outs/etc) and when wearing puffs ensure my band is not tight plus adding a hair serum to my ends to help prevent SSKs.

Good luck :)

Ci1988

I wear a bun constantly with a banana clip. I can truly say this is the reason for my length rention.