Distilled water?

greAtness333

The water can be hard where I live which makes my hair dry. How can I get/make distilled water? What makes it distilled? Thanks ahead of time.

lexi_24

Walmart sells gallon sized bottles of distilled water and many supermarkets also sell bottled distilled water.

yes i have hard water where i am at in the college dorm and i buy the distilled water jugs at walmart to rinse my hair with and they cost about 68 cents.

Isis

Correct me someone if I'm wrong but I believe distilled water is the condensation that builds up and drips when water is boiled with a lid on. It isn't the boiled water itself.

greAtness333

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if I could just boil the water, I guess not. But I think I could spare 68 cents. PB4, when I lived in the dorms I couldn't figure out why my hair felt so bad or was in such poor condition. Then one day a stylist in the area told me the water was hard. It's already hard enough trying to take care of your hair away from your stylist @ home, then having to deal with hard water too?

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Correct me someone if I'm wrong but I believe distilled water is the condensation that builds up and drips when water is boiled with a lid on. It isn't the boiled water itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis, you're right; it isn't just the boiled water. Usually when water is distilled, the steam (which is 100% pure water) flows through a tube into a clean section of the apparatus where it condenses back into water. By moving the steam to a new section, you separate it from other impurities that do not become vapor at 100 degrees celsius (water's boiling point). If you could find a way to collect the steam and then allow it to condense away from the original water, then you might get distilled water.

Here's a diagram showing simple distillation.

[ QUOTE ]
Simple distillation is designed to evaporate a volatile liquid from a solution of non-volatile substances; the vapour is then condensed in the water condenser and collected in the receiver.

The apparatus consists of a round-bottomed distilling flask bearing a stillhead connected to a water condenser (Liebig condenser). This is attached via a vented delivery bend to the receiver, also a round-bottomed flask. The stillhead has a thermometer adapter with a thermometer.

Notes:

<ul type="square">- the bulb of the thermometer is opposite the exit to the condenser. You want the temperature of the exit vapours since it is these that will condense.
- the delivery bend is vented so that when the apparatus is heated the joints aren't pushed apart by expanding gas. Never draw a closed apparatus.
- water goes in at the bottom of the condenser jacket and out at the top.
- note the structure of the condenser - the water jacket is separate from the tube down the middle! [/list]

[/ QUOTE ] Source: http://www.rod.beavon.clara.net/distil.htm

Notice a thermometer is used to measure the temperature of the vapor to make sure it's at 100 degrees celsius. I guess you'd not start running the water needed to cool the vapor down through the condenser (nor start collecting any liquid) until the thermometer showed that the temperature of the vapor was 100 degrees, indicating it was pure water vapor. Any impurities in water will turn to vapor at a lower temperature. So that's why you would need to measure the temperature to make sure it was 100% water before you start cooling it down or collecting it.

OK, I'll crawl back to the hole from whence I came before my chemistry teacher from high school finds out I've been fronting like I ever paid attention in class.