Different types of breakage? any ideas?

GiGi55799

Are their different ways to solve different breakage problems? For example breakage from two textures? breakage from manipulation? breakage from overconditioning? breakage from too much protein? If so, how do you tell what kind of breakage it is so that you can correctly solve it? Any ideas?

EmeraldSky

I'm sure the other ladies can list some more, but these are the ones I know of.
Breakage from much protein in my experience is accompanied with a dry feeling since it will kind of dry out my hair if I use too much. In that case I would use protein less often and increase the moisture to my hair (conditioners, creams, etc.).
Breakage from two different textures I can usually spot because the strands are longer closer to the root/new growth or just at the point where the two textures meet, the only thing that helps in my experience is keeping the hair in protective styles when I have a lot of new growth or having my roots (only) blown straight after a rollerset at a dominican salon. If the different textures are from under/overprocessing I would just baby my hair as much as possible until the damaged part grows out. Breakage from manipulation may be concentrated in certain areas, like if you put your hair in a scrunchie alot then the breakage might be focused around the hairline and in the back where the hair is pulled or if you run your hands thru a particular section of your hair alot, I usually try and pinpoit what section is breaking and figure out what's different about that section than the rest. Oh and theres breakage due to weak strands, I find that a good protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner will strengthen and then moisturize the hair. My breakage usually comes from lack of moisture

Anyway hope this helps

A

AmilLion

[ QUOTE ]
Are their different ways to solve different breakage problems? For example breakage from two textures? breakage from manipulation? breakage from overconditioning? breakage from too much protein? If so, how do you tell what kind of breakage it is so that you can correctly solve it? Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say to solve breakage from two textures, you will want to attempt to soften the new growth so that the relaxed hair and new growth doesn't fight against each other.

Breakage from overcondititiong, I would condition less often, or your conditioner could be the culprit. Consider changing conditioners.
Too much protein, you can counter with a moisturizing conditioner and/or using protein conditioner less frequently or change protein conditioners.

For me, I am able to tell if I've used protein too much by the texture of my hair. It will feel crispy, not soft and doesn't blow in the wind and fall back into place. If overconditioning is a problem, I noticed that my hair will fall limp, no breakage for me. If it's due to the relaxer being over lapped, my hair strands lose will be rather long. If breakage is due to not proper moisturizing my strands, the breakage will be short strands...

GiGi55799

Alright success story: After reading all the responses(thank you emerald,amil,deb) I diagnosed my breakage was both over conditioning and from the two textures. I did used a reconstructor w protein and heat for 10 minutes,rinsed, and followed up with cholesterol for 5 minutes. After airdrying I massaged carrot/avocado/rosemary oil mix into my roots. This morning I woke up with strong but very soft hair. I LOVE THIS BOARD!

EmeraldSky

AmilLion, I'm not familiar with breakage from overconditioning, is there a way to tell breakage from overconditioning versus other kinds of breakage? I may have experienced it but not even realized the cause.

keylargo

how bad must it be for you to have to cut your hair? if you have breakage due to dryness, can the ends be repaired or do you have to cut them off?

if you have breakage from over-processing, is it always necessary to trim?

MiaLi

[ QUOTE ]
Breakage from manipulation may be concentrated in certain areas, like if you put your hair in a scrunchie alot then the breakage might be focused around the hairline and in the back where the hair is pulled or if you run your hands thru a particular section of your hair alot ... Oh and there's breakage due to weak strands. My breakage usually comes from lack of moisture.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have weak strands and breakage due to overmanipulation is a medium protein treatment (like Joico K-Pak) the answer? Or an intensive protein treatment (like Nexxus Emergencee)?

nita4

I have breakage from two different textures and I have to keep my hair moist and conditioned well. What I need to combat this problem is consistent re-touches so that I eventually end up with one texture - and regular trims until I get rid of my "old no-lye" hair.

From to much conditioning - like the ladies mentioned - dry if to much protein and limp if to much moisuturizing conditoner.

I think that if you see visible splits and experience breakage from them then it's time to trim. But after that trim make sure you keep your ends very well moisturized. I didn't do that and my are rough as heck right now. I'm seriously thinking about the baggie method for the winter.

Spagirl

If my understanding is correct......

When you rule out the other scenarios for breakage you might have product build up that's causing the breakage.

The signs and symtoms for this type of breakage mimics a lot of the other forms of breakage but a tell tale sign is that your hair looks or feels lifeless. Another is " The hair feels coated and won't accept moisture during the week" (Thanks Angiek). Things you might hear youself saying: "My hair has stops responding to my products.", "My hair seems to be water-resistant. When I wet my hair, the water just beads up.", and/or "My hair has an unnecessary heaviness and dullness to it." are indicative of a product build up problem (thanks LHCF members).

Causes
Products that leave a film on the hair surface can build up over time, especially non-water soluble products, and if unchecked to the point of brittleness will lead to breakage.

There are a few products that are non-water soluble. The ones I'm familiar with, at present, are some of the hair waxes and some types of "cones" found in hair products.

Solution
There are a few solution. Here are 2 such solutions: <ul type="square"> 1. Modify or eliminate the use of cone based products. And/or...
2. Use a clarifying shampoo or ACV rinse as needed. [/list]

For additional Hair tips.

KaramelKendra

I experienced the lackofmoisture breakage and Overprotein brkg ,anytime I forget to moisturize my hair or wear a satin scarf at night my hair would start breaking off in little pieces..same thing if I use too much protein based products in a short period of time...When your protein intake is a 40 % u dont need to use more than a protein Prdct a week.Once I learned that my hair got much better.I cant change my diet which is rich in proteins, my muscles have to be toned and defined(otherwise I would loose my job
!..) In order to dont experience brkage I use a mild protein CO Cpr 1nce a week or every 2 weeks and Surge once a day,so far is goin great !