Difference between Maxiglide and other Ceramic irons

tthreat08

It seems like EVERYONE on the board is using maxiglide....except me. :look:
I have an ceramic ion flat iron (or something like that). It's made by the same makers of the soft bonnet dryer evryone is so crazy about, and it's okay. But what is the difference between the maxiglide and other ceramic irons? Benefits? Does it get hair straighter? Cost? IS it in BSS? or online? Thanks in advance!!

blackbarbie

I have the maxiglide but have never owned any other kind of ceramic iron (although have used them though) I have used it twice since I had it but I hate the work involved (not just with the maxiglide, but with ANY heat appliances - blow dryer, curlers, etc.)

Whereas both the plates on your regular ceramic iron are flat, only one of the plates on the maxiglide is flat and other one is made like it has "little grippers" (best way I can describe it), so as your hair is going through both the plates, its getting straight along the way. Also, you don't have to use as much pressure as with other irons, because your hair just "glides" through the plates and you can get all the way down to the scalp. It also has a steam feature where it bursts a jet of steam on your hair.

I have used it to flat iron my roots (didn't take long at all), but because my patience is short and I was also getting nervous, I didn't go all the way through when I tried to flat iron my whole head one day. I am so scared of direct heat; probably get direct heat only 3 or 4 times a week. My sister's hair is very long and thick and she said it only took her 30 mins. to do it (she bought one after using mine).......

You can get it online (where I got mine) and I think someone said they got theirs at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Don't think they're at the BSS.

HTH

Jewell

I was wondering the same thing, TThreat. I have a Conair ceramic flat iron with removable plates (1" wide) that I bought a year or two ago for like 14 bucks from Wal-mart. I have only used it about 3 times (the 3rd time yesterday) since I bought it.

It has a dial with heat settings that go up to 20, but my hair is remarkably easy to straighten, so I only use it on # 3 or # 4. I only do the roots, and since I use a little pressing oil, I lightly touch them once or twice with the flat iron and they are silky, shiny and straight. I personally don't have a need to buy a more expensive or popular flat-iron because I only do my roots every 2 weeks and this one works great.

QUINN

Jewell said:
I was wondering the same thing, TThreat. I have a Conair ceramic flat iron with removable plates (1" wide) that I bought a year or two ago for like 14 bucks from Wal-mart. I have only used it about 3 times (the 3rd time yesterday) since I bought it.

It has a dial with heat settings that go up to 20, but my hair is remarkably easy to straighten, so I only use it on # 3 or # 4. I only do the roots, and since I use a little pressing oil, I lightly touch them once or twice with the flat iron and they are silky, shiny and straight. I personally don't have a need to buy a more expensive or popular flat-iron because I only do my roots every 2 weeks and this one works great.

Ditto. I have a conair ceramic flat iron. It has 25 settings, but I only go up to four or five because my 4A/B hair is suprisingly easy to flat iron too. I love that thing! It gets my hair SUPER straight w/ one swipe and it doesn't snag. My hair also feels smooth and looks shiny.

blackbarbie

JALA said:
Ditto. I have a conair ceramic flat iron. It has 25 settings, but I only go up to four or five because my 4A/B hair is suprisingly easy to flat iron too. I love that thing! It gets my hair SUPER straight w/ one swipe and it doesn't snag. My hair also feels smooth and looks shiny.

:wasntme: It was the informercial junkie in me that made me buy it!!! I swear the more I saw the informercial, the more I wanted one, knowing good and doggone well that my use of a flat iron didn't warrant that kind of money. I swear that I never even thought about buying a flat iron till i saw that info-mercial. I totally agree with you ladies that for the amount of flat ironing i do (flat ironing my roots once I get 12 weeks post) I could have gone for another one that wasn't so pricey, especially if I had known i could have gotten one for 14.99! (I thought most ceramic irons were pricey). My hair texture is fine and now that I think about it, a regular iron could have done what I needed it to do (my roots), but I have to say that for people whose hair texture may be coarse or thicker than mine, I think the Maxiglide would do wonders.

My mama told me about being a "monkey see, monkey do".....oh well, a lesson learned.

CurleeDST

For me I definitely realized my return on that investment of paying $52 bucks for it after my 20% off coupon in Bed, Bath and Beyond since a press and curl is $65 at the local salon. I have used it twice and got the exact same results as I do from the salon so to me it is well worth it.

I have also sold 2 girlfriends on it who wear their hair natural but want a straight look for maintenance in the winter time (they usually wet daily like I do in the spring and summer).

I love the way it works and it doesn't take much tension at all to see very straight results and my hair bounces back to nappy afterwards with a shampoo wash and deep condition.

blackbarbie said:
:wasntme: It was the informercial junkie in me that made me buy it!!! I swear the more I saw the informercial, the more I wanted one, knowing good and doggone well that my use of a flat iron didn't warrant that kind of money. I swear that I never even thought about buying a flat iron till i saw that info-mercial. I totally agree with you ladies that for the amount of flat ironing i do (flat ironing my roots once I get 12 weeks post) I could have gone for another one that wasn't so pricey, especially if I had known i could have gotten one for 14.99! (I thought most ceramic irons were pricey). My hair texture is fine and now that I think about it, a regular iron could have done what I needed it to do (my roots), but I have to say that for people whose hair texture may be coarse or thicker than mine, I think the Maxiglide would do wonders.

My mama told me about being a "monkey see, monkey do".....oh well, a lesson learned.

blackbarbie

CurleeDST said:
For me I definitely realized my return on that investment of paying $52 bucks for it after my 20% off coupon in Bed, Bath and Beyond since a press and curl is $65 at the local salon. I have used it twice and got the exact same results as I do from the salon so to me it is well worth it.

I have also sold 2 girlfriends on it who wear their hair natural but want a straight look for maintenance in the winter time (they usually wet daily like I do in the spring and summer).

I love the way it works and it doesn't take much tension at all to see very straight results and my hair bounces back to nappy afterwards with a shampoo wash and deep condition.

CurlDST, you are almost my twin (I was born April 7th, same year as you!!!):)
I agree with you, if you have to pay $65 for a press and curl, girl you got your money's worth before you even used it! I didn't know you were natural. Your pics in your album are pretty. Did you use the Maxiglide for those? Don't get me wrong, it is def. a good product cause you get salon quality results (sounds like the infomercial, huh), but I just don't use it that much because I am too chicken of the heat:grin:

CurleeDST

Hey Twin..by 7 days! Ha! I bought mine after watching the infomercial but I remember seeing it at BB and B while shopping for something else. They had the infomercial playing there too.

I did not really believe I would get the results I did so I bought it but opened it all pretty making sure I didn't ruin the box, kept the receipt and went at it. Well I was sooo impressed by it I was like astonished at how straight, smooth and unburnt it got my natural hair.

Yeah I am natural except for the color. I relapsed and got a perm when I was pregnant in 2001 but grew and cut it out in October 2002. It's all good.

I think in my album those results were from the salon but I do have some pny tail maxiglide photos in my yahoo album. I will send it to you via PM.

I was looking for your album but could not locate it. I am fairly new to this forum and still can't quite navigate through everything so if you can point me in the right direction that would be great. Your looks gorgeous and healthy in your avatar!!!!

I can understand not wanting to use too much heat or heat at all. I am straightening my hair weekly but am not trying to go at least 2 weeks between wash and straightenings so my hair doesn't get too damaged. My beautician goes 3 weeks between press and curls which is great for her but my scalp be screaming for a nice shampoo massage after 1 week. We will see how I do this week.

I just finished maxigliding about 10 minutes ago. I wrapped my head up in a silk scarf before going in the shower today, forgot the shower cap and got the ends of my pony wet sooo I was like "aight let me go on ahead and wash my entire hair". I let it air dry and then maxiglided this time vs. blowdrying it first and then maxigliding. I prefer blowdrying it first because it helps w/ the detangling process MUCH better. Plus when my natural hair dries it curls on itself at the ends which makes them tangled even if I detangled while wet.

Go figure! I can definitely seeing this as being a very good product to use between touchups if you relax your hair.

blackbarbie said:
CurlDST, you are almost my twin (I was born April 7th, same year as you!!!):)
I agree with you, if you have to pay $65 for a press and curl, girl you got your money's worth before you even used it! I didn't know you were natural. Your pics in your album are pretty. Did you use the Maxiglide for those? Don't get me wrong, it is def. a good product cause you get salon quality results (sounds like the infomercial, huh), but I just don't use it that much because I am too chicken of the heat:grin:

blackbarbie

CurleeDST said:
Hey Twin..by 7 days! Ha! I bought mine after watching the infomercial but I remember seeing it at BB and B while shopping for something else. They had the infomercial playing there too.

I did not really believe I would get the results I did so I bought it but opened it all pretty making sure I didn't ruin the box, kept the receipt and went at it. Well I was sooo impressed by it I was like astonished at how straight, smooth and unburnt it got my natural hair.

Yeah I am natural except for the color. I relapsed and got a perm when I was pregnant in 2001 but grew and cut it out in October 2002. It's all good.

I think in my album those results were from the salon but I do have some pny tail maxiglide photos in my yahoo album. I will send it to you via PM.

I was looking for your album but could not locate it. I am fairly new to this forum and still can't quite navigate through everything so if you can point me in the right direction that would be great. Your looks gorgeous and healthy in your avatar!!!!

I can understand not wanting to use too much heat or heat at all. I am straightening my hair weekly but am not trying to go at least 2 weeks between wash and straightenings so my hair doesn't get too damaged. My beautician goes 3 weeks between press and curls which is great for her but my scalp be screaming for a nice shampoo massage after 1 week. We will see how I do this week.

I just finished maxigliding about 10 minutes ago. I wrapped my head up in a silk scarf before going in the shower today, forgot the shower cap and got the ends of my pony wet sooo I was like "aight let me go on ahead and wash my entire hair". I let it air dry and then maxiglided this time vs. blowdrying it first and then maxigliding. I prefer blowdrying it first because it helps w/ the detangling process MUCH better. Plus when my natural hair dries it curls on itself at the ends which makes them tangled even if I detangled while wet.

Go figure! I can definitely seeing this as being a very good product to use between touchups if you relax your hair.

Girl I wish I were natural again! I didn't get a perm until I was 19 and getting ready to go to college, but my mother is still natural and her hair is really pretty.(she tried getting a perm once when I got mine but said it was way too much work for her and she went back natural:grin: ) To see my album, go to to the top of your screen where it says "Photo Galleries". Once you click on it, you will see "Member Galleries" and just go under "B" to find my album.

I just sent you a PM.

Jewell

JALA said:

:yep: I love mine too! You took the words out of my mouth!

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Usually the more expensive ones have true ceramic plates. I had a ceramic iron but it was actually ceramic COATING. Eventually it peeled off and started snagging my hair. Also the one I had was one temp only and it didnt get my hair as straight as I had hoped. In fact, I damaged my hair trying to straighten my new growth when I was transitioning. I've read the true ceramics can get hotter and your hair smoother with less/no damage. I plan on getting either a sedu or a maxi glide sometime next year. Of course if someone wants to make it my Christmas present I wont complain. :)

sprungonhairboards

I looove my maxiglide! It was worth every penny of the $79 I paid for it. If it was $20 more it would STILL have been worth it. I'm texturized but I was all natural when I bought it. I never EVER thought I'd be able to get my hair straight with just a flat iron without blowdrying and pressing it first but the maxiglide did. I can airdry my hair and use the maxiglide and it works just as good. I don't use anything else. My hair is super thick and REALLY hard to straighten, I use the maxiglide on 10 (the highest setting).

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I am purchasing mine from Linens and Things hopefully this week- they can't keep the dang things in the store!