Did you recognize speedy growth with flip style???

DDHair

Today I was trying to create a better way to get to my photos and decided to take a looksey. Before I decided to go natural and after a terrible breakage after removing some braids in 2001, I got my hair layered into the newest hair craze, the cute little adorable flips. Well I had been wearing the flips for almost a year and my cousin and her friend came to visit me and they honestly believed in the flipping theory: that flip curls somehow helped hair grow faster. I had been thinking the same thing, because as much I used to hate to get my hair so much as trimmed, I thought nothing when the beautician would cut my hair for the flips, I just knew it would grow back. Well looking at my pictures today I noticed how much my hair had grown on the first 2 in only one month. On the April 2002, my bangs were in the middle of my forehead, but on the May 2002 photo my bangs were about at my eyebrows. This is a very interesting factor, when I get my hair straightened (very seldomly) I wear flips sometimes, but this revelation
does not make me want to go out and get a perm after growing mine off for 7 months, and get flips again, but I was just wondering if you guys have worn flips and experienced this same type of growth?

butterfly7

Re: Does flipping your hair help your hair grow?

Actually, I think wearing the flip style helped lead to my breakage this last time. I was using heat (to flip) daily and by the end of February, my ends were horrendous and I ended up chopping off my hair. I admit, I love the style, and will probably wear it again, but I have to be really careful with it. I know I was doing other things that lead to the destruction of my hair as well, but I do believe this was one of them.

AnjelLuvs

i dont see the difference that a heat style would do any help, curls flipped or not

DDHair

In response to the heat, because I hear the comment that heat is not good for you all the time. And I really and truly lived by that, until I was told once by an older stylist who also cut hair for all races of people at Super Cuts or Pro Cuts, that it's not the heat, but it's how you take care of your hair. Maintenence is very important. I know someone who curls their hair faithfully daily and suprisingly they still have hair, because they really don't take good care of their hair, but I guess infrequent beauty shop visits helped this person. When I had the flips, I curled my hair every day, and I did not have any problems with breakage and I wore that style for a little over a year. The thing was, I was making frequent hair appointments at least every 2-3 weeks, allowing a professional to maintain my hair. I am not saying that heat is wonderful, but if a person is not good with heat or does not maintain the condition of their hair, then yes the hair is bound to be damaged. I will be honest, I don't like using a lot of heat (especially now that I am growing natural, because heat will change the texture of your hair, but with a perm the texture is already changed and the proteins have to be broken down or gotten rid of to make the hair straight), and when I found out that using a curling iron everyday was the way I would end up with nice flips, I was not pleased, but I've discovered: Keeping heat out of your head will work wonders, just as much as taking care of your hair PERIOD!

Butterfly7, how is your hair doing now? Hope all is well.

AnjelLuvs

i think that was my point, dont get me wrong I use heat infrequently, but some people dont knwo how to use heat on their hair

JenJen2721

I had the same experience with flips as Butter! The heat fried my flips right off after a couple of months of flipping them every other day. Furthermore...I don't see how wearing flips could cause the hair to grow. What's the logic there?

butterfly7

That's me. I was the girl that didn't know how to use heat, nor did I know how to care for my hair. (until I came to this board). My hair was fine, thin, dry and just unhealthy. I was retouching my hair every 4 weeks and the heat was just one more bad thing I was doing to it. Not just putting the heat on my already dry hair, but I was probably using irons that were too hot, leaving them on my hair too long and pulling them down the shaft to roughly. My hair has done a complete turn around. Since February, I have used heat probably 3 or 4 times at the most. I used it to straighten my hair a couple of times and I wore my favorite flip style once. I've been wearing protective styles and using other tips from this board and my hair is so much more healthy and thick! I feel safe flipping my hair now because I am taking good care of it thanks to you guys.

SoniT

I don't think wearing flips helps the hair to grow. That really doesn't make sense to me. What's the difference between curling the hair in a flip and curling it under? How would one way make the hair grow more than the other?

Stormy

Well, I usually roller set my flips. Rarely will I use a curling iron. I wore a flipped style for a long time and although I've had a lot of growth, I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the style itself.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore...I don't see how wearing flips could cause the hair to grow. What's the logic there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's what I was trying to figure out?

Plus A statment was made that One would'nt use heat on natural hair, but on relaxed hair it's ok???
The beauticitian that told you that is very wrong. And styles of anykind do not cause your hair to grow.
This is very false information, Relaxed hair is much, much, weaker and can't withstand the heat like Natural hair can.

DDHair

It's not flipping it that causes it to grow, should I say have there been any people who experienced major growth with flipping? Maybe that is phrased better.

cutebajangirl

I understand what you are saying DDhair. People love to hold the curling iron in their hair for a "good" downward curl, therefore exposing the strands to more heat. Whereas in the flip for it be bouncy/airy as all flips aim for people run the curling iron through it quickly therefore exposing your hair to less heat. Less heat = less breakage = more length retained. Of course nothing compares to a good old fashioned rollerset or even better airdrying.

vanessa_gilmore

When I wore my hair in the flip style I was seeing my beautician every Friday at 3pm. I Did notice alot of growth when I had this style. I owe it to my beautician for taking care of my hair at the time (trimming when needed, products and just enough heat). The only time my hair had to be curled was at the salon. My job was just to wrap it at night with a scarf and finger-comb in the morning. My hair was in a healthy state at the time too.

Nessa

I think when you flip it it doesn't toch the shoulders and brush and and cause split ends.