Did Keracare make my hair hard?

comike

I've heard all of the ranting and raving about Keracare products and decided to give it a try since I was in search of a new moisturizing conditioner. I've used the Keracare shampoo and Humecto conditioner on two occassions now.....my hair is not as soft as it usually is. Does anyone find that the Keracare conditioner makes your hair hard....not touchably soft? Do you all add anything to the conditioner to enhance it (e.g., olive oil)?

MizaniMami

Do you use a clarifying poo first? It is very moisturizing so it your have other products on top of that it can buildup. Maybe try using the 1st lather poo first.

macherieamour

Hmm, it may be that you hair doesnt like all the mineral oil in the products. Keracare uses a lot. My hair get hard when i OD on moisturizers that contain a lot of mineral oil.

In the past, Sweet Almond Oil always softened up my hair. You might wanna try adding that to the conditioner or on wet hair after you condition. Hope that helps :)

comike

I thought mineral oil (which is basically liquid petroleum) and glycerin were bad for the hair? Has anyone else heard that?

so1913

comike said:
I thought mineral oil (which is basically liquid petroleum) and glycerin were bad for the hair? Has anyone else heard that?

Mineral Oil and Petroleum are far from the BEST ingredients, but everyone's hair reacts differently to them. My opinion on this is....

I think the hype over how "bad" they are has been blown up.

Some peoples hair agrees with them, some don't. They have the potential to clog the pores and coat the hair with heavy, overuse and not properly cleansing the hair, but if you wash regularly, buildup shouldn't become a major problem for many. Usage of these ingredients are more of personal preference. They have been in hair products for years...and many people use products with them without a problem. As much as they make it seem, I really don't see these ingredients as being responsible for our hair troubles.

Glycerin is an humectant, I've never heard of them being one of the "bad" ingredients.

Shine-On

I agree. Maybe you should clarify your hair. I had this issue once and used the 1st Lather Shampoo. No problems here.

HoneyDew

Maybe unrelated, but I just started using 1st Lather Shampoo to clarify and I don't think it helps for those with hard water.

Well, at least it does not for me.

I normally use Kenra Clarifying Chelating Shampoo and it works very well for me. If I don't use it, my hair acts up.

Well, I am on a challenge to use all my products up and decided to use up a bottle of the 1st Lather Shampoo that I have.

It has been aboout 4 washes and my hair is responding very badly.

I do think the 1st Lather Shampoo is removing product buildup, but not mineral deposits. As a result, my hair starts feeling hard.

HoneyDew

macherieamour said:
That would make sense and is probably the reason why they made the "de-mineralizing" treatement:cool:

Damn you Keracare:ohwell:

WOW. I did not know they had a demineralizing treatment. Wait maybe I did - the wipes, right?!

Well, the 1st time I used the 1st lather I was in love, but after a few washes with it, all hell broke loose.

Girls, I cannot begin to explain the way I felt a few days ago when things got really bad. After shampooing my hair a few days ago, it was so hard and tangled. I thought I had done something wrong.

My heart was hurting so bad, I cancelled a date with my boyfriend, I deep conditioned all night all before I realized what the problem was. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack really! :( What happened to my soft silky hair?!

I did an ACV rinse and that help a little, but I still need my Kenra Chelating, which I will pick up tonight. I ordered a Gallon on it online and I was going totry to wait for its delivery, but I can't wait.

Oh well, all part of learning about your hair, right? :)

EishBuhgeish

Yeah, I feel the same way. This was my first time using detangling and hydrating poo and humecto cond too. I found that after I blow-dried it...which is something I rarely do -and probably contributed to why my strands felt so hard. I ended up washing conditioner washing it and air-drying like I usually do. I supposed I'm due for a clarifying myself.:p

mahogany66

I use KeraCare too and I am starting to harden also, Has anyone ever used the Demineralizing treatment??? I just found out that my stylist uses this on my hair, I just thought it was a PAPER TOWEL or something..LOL. I started doing my W/S a couple of weaks ago and I will assume my hair got hard because I didn't use the DTtreatment, I have to pick some of those up!!

Last edited:

comike

LABETT said:
Just Curious did you use the conditioner in the bottle or tub.

I used the conditioner in the bottle. I had just did a clarifying shampoo a few days prior so there shouldn't have been that much build-up but I don't know....

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I used to use products that contained mineral oil, but now I try to limit them. I do find that now, some products that contain mineral oil do tend to coat my hair and make it feel dry after a while. Sometimes my hair can be so wishy-washy after using, let's say a moisturizer, with mineral oil. After a few hours it may feel dry, but later on, it'll feel oh so soft...what's up with that???:confused: I can't fully devote myself to the entire Keracare line due to all of that mineral oil/petroleum. I've tried the Lite Oil Moisturizer :nono: , did NOT work for me!!! But, I am using quite a few of their products:

1. 1st Lather
2. Hydrating Shampoo 32oz
3. 5lb Humecto tub - I find that the hydrating poo is what gives my hair so much moisture. If i were to use the 1st lather + humecto, my hair wouldn't feel as good as if i were to use the 1st lather + hydrating poo + humecto OR hydrating poo+humecto
4. Foam/Wrap Lotion
5. Setting Lotion - LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! it's so true when they say effortless combouts. Before school starts again in the fall, I'm gonna buy a larger bottle of this.

I'm such a product junkie, so I'm trying my best to stay with the products that I have...so far so good.

Last edited:

comike

The hydrating shampoo is fine. I think I'll mix the Humecto conditioner with a little olive oil to get through with the bottle and stick with my tried and true moisturizing conditioners from now on. Being a product junkie is becoming sickening to me.

HoneyDew

jasmin said:
HoneyDew, where did you order your gallon of Kenra Clarifying from?

This time I ordered from: http://www.rafsinc.com/store/item7683.htm

They are pretty good. I have placed several orders with them in the past.

I went to a local place to get the small bottle for the meantime. I used it tonight and my hair feels like normal again. :yay: Now I know that the Keracare 1st Lather does not remove mineral deposits, or at least at the level I need it.

Last edited:

kimmy132

Well this is just great. Here I go getting all excited that my KeraCare
samples came in the mail today and now I am afraid to use them.Thanks guys. Hmm what should I do...

:confused:

HoneyDew

kimmy132 said:
Well this is just great. Here I go getting all excited that my KeraCare
samples came in the mail today and now I am afraid to use them.Thanks guys. Hmm what should I do...

:confused:

Kimmy,

I think Keracare if GREAT stuff! Be excited about your samples girl! I think we all have to find the product compilation that works for us. I have always liked Keracare's stuff personally.

jasmin

HoneyDew said:
This time I ordered from: http://www.rafsinc.com/store/item7683.htm

They are pretty good. I have placed several orders with them in the past.

I went to a local place to get the small bottle for the meantime. I used it tonight and my hair feels like normal again. :yay: Now I know that the Keracare 1st Lather does not remove mineral deposits, or at least at the level I need it.

Thank you. I think that's what my hair needs.

Candy_C

MizaniMami said:
Do you use a clarifying poo first? It is very moisturizing so it your have other products on top of that it can buildup. Maybe try using the 1st lather poo first.

i agree totally, no point using keracare if you dont clarify 1st. this should be 2nd nature when using a new line

ScandalousBeauty

Yes, I have. I mean I love the hydrating shampoo, I can feel the moisture in my hair, then once I get to the Humecto, it's not the same. I still feel like I need it though! I condition twice, so after Humecto I use my Mizani Moisturefuse which is the most intense moisturizing conditioner that I have ever experienced. Oh well.

comike said:
I've heard all of the ranting and raving about Keracare products and decided to give it a try since I was in search of a new moisturizing conditioner. I've used the Keracare shampoo and Humecto conditioner on two occassions now.....my hair is not as soft as it usually is. Does anyone find that the Keracare conditioner makes your hair hard....not touchably soft? Do you all add anything to the conditioner to enhance it (e.g., olive oil)?

kimmy132

You guys I used my KeraCare samples last night, after all that I just could' nt resist. Unfortunately, I'm soooo disapponited . Now in KeraCare's defense I will say that I did use Nexxus Kerapix for a deep protein condioner which I left on for an hour (I fell asleep). Anyways when I did the 1st lather my hair felt super stript ( is this a word?). What I'm trying to say is all the minerals and oils was gone from my hair and it was very dull and dry feeling. I added the hydrating shampoo and while it made a rich moisturizing lather that felt great in my hands it was like my hair just wasn't absorbing it. I was still left will dry super super clean hair...and the humecto, PLEASE!

Could it be that darn Nexxus?? Honestly my hair just doesn't like this line at all anymore but as a child it used to love it. I rarely if ever clarify, and this new super clean, my old products don't wanna hold hair sucks. I looked a hot mess today.:mad: