Did Canaan REALLY sexually abuse his grand father?

Blaque*Angel

This is my first time posting on this board so hi and blessings to all :wave:

OK, I have a dilemma, i have a newborn child whom I strongly want to name Canaan (promised land)

after looking in three different bibles new testament, king james and good news bible i see different events. in the king james bible it appears canaan raped his grand father noah whilst noah was drunk? is this correct?

this has put a dampener on me naming my child this name, although i want to name him after israel not noah's grandson.

help please

:rosebud:

Joyful1

Hi BAngel,

First, Congratulations! In the reference you gave it was Ham (the father of Canaan): Genesis 9:22 (King James Version) - And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

Ham slept with his father's wife, as defined in Leviticus 20:11 - And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Oh, and the curse that was pronounced came from Noah, not from God.

There must be a reason that name is on your heart. Pray about it and you'll be fine.
Best of luck to you.

kayte

Welcome Blacque Angel ;)
Congratulations!

While,personally, I love that name and what it means and that you sought a very special blessing name for your new precious baby....

There must be a reason that name is on your heart. Pray about it and you'll be fine.

this answer by Joyful1 is wonderful guidance
:)
xoxo

Blaque*Angel

When Ham entered Noah's tent and saw his naked father, he told his two brethren. The verb "saw" means more than a casual glance. It indicated that Ham gazed with satisfaction at his father. Although Ham did nothing to his father, disrespect and possibly evil thoughts that occurred when he gazed on his father brought condemnation on Ham.

In contrast to Ham's action, Shem and Japheth went into their father's tent backward, so as not to see Noah's condition, and they covered his naked body. Based on what we see on TV today this seems rather trivial, but you must remember that in Noah's time respect for the Patriarch of the family was not only required but demanded. When Noah awoke, he inquired what his younger son had done to him. Then he pronounced a blessing on Shem and Japheth and a curse, not on Ham, but on one of Ham's four sons, Canaan. Many think that the curse was placed on Ham and thereby on African people, because Ham's other sons are as follows: Cush - Ethiopia; Mizraim - Egypt; Phut - Libya; and they populated Africa. However, Canaan was the father of the people in Phoenicia, Palestine, and Canaan.

beaux cheveux

Hi BAngel,

First, Congratulations! In the reference you gave it was Ham (the father of Canaan): Genesis 9:22 (King James Version) - And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

Ham slept with his father's wife, as defined in Leviticus 20:11 - And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Best of luck to you.
interesting way of seeing it , your insight just opened my eyes a little bit more to the scripture, hmmm... interesting discussion.

Crown

Hi BAngel,

Genesis 10:1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.
Genesis 10:6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.
Noah is a prophet and Canaan is the youngest child of Ham.
In MY opinion, Canaan is the son of Ham through Noah's wife : the only reason to put a curse on him, the fruit of the sin, instead of Ham.
But I could be wrong.

dicapr

I wouldn't worry about the story of Canaan. Too much has been read into the story and alot of the misconceptions about what really happened was to make the children of Cannan (blacks) look as if they were decendents of sin and justify slavery. Ham saw his father drunk and naked. Instead of protecting his dignity, he went off and told his brothers so they could get a gander of their father looking less than dignified. Even today, if you saw a friend or relative get drunk and naked and then ran around telling everyone it would be a big no no. Noah cursed his grandson, however, you do not find it anywhere in the bible where God honored the curse. I wouldn't worry about it. I had a pastor preach on this topic once and it was very interesting. Canaan is a nice name.

Blaque*Angel

I wouldn't worry about the story of Canaan. Too much has been read into the story and alot of the misconceptions about what really happened was to make the children of Cannan (blacks) look as if they were decendents of sin and justify slavery. Ham saw his father drunk and naked. Instead of protecting his dignity, he went off and told his brothers so they could get a gander of their father looking less than dignified. Even today, if you saw a friend or relative get drunk and naked and then ran around telling everyone it would be a big no no. Noah cursed his grandson, however, you do not find it anywhere in the bible where God honored the curse. I wouldn't worry about it. I had a pastor preach on this topic once and it was very interesting. Canaan is a nice name.

Aw thanks darling :rosebud: :)
i just dont want tio regret it in the future, i still have 5 weeks to pray on it,before i register my baby:yep:

HeChangedMyName

Hi BAngel,

Best of luck to you.

This is an interesting interpretation. I have always wondered exactly the depth of what this scripture about Ham having seen his fathers nakedness meant. You have me over here with my concordance and two Bible versions.

To OP, have you looked up the meaning of Canaan? not just the place but the origen