Detangling Question

sunnydaze

I need to come up with a better way/product/whateva to detangle my hair b/c I'm sick of seeing long strands filling my pic when I try to detangle my hair. I've tried the detangle in the shower technique, and it does work a tad better than doing it dry, but I will have globs of long hairs all on the curtains, stuck in the drain..everywhere.

The only thing that detangles my hair sufficiently is Motions CPR, but I cannot use that everytime I shampoo..can I?

Certain conditioners detangle better than others. Also, how tangled (or detangled) your hair already was plays a factor as well. I get the best results when I use Paul Mitchell The Detangler. I apply it and let it stay in my hair while I soap up. I comb from the ends up before rinsing. I prefer to leave about 10% of conditioner in my hair when I prepare it for a wash and go.

As far as the number of strands that free themselves on wash day, I don't stress. Some of that is hair that was already shed but hadn't been released from my hair via various forms of manipulation. The longer/thicker the hair on your head, the "worse" the shedding is going to appear to be.

balisi said:
The longer/thicker the hair on your head, the "worse" the shedding is going to appear to be.

OK, that makes me feel better. I have alot of hair on my head and have noticed all this long strand shedding every since I have stopped with the daily manipulation.

Question, if you are not doing a wash and go, do you still leave your conditioner in?

sunnydaze said:
I need to come up with a better way/product/whateva to detangle my hair b/c I'm sick of seeing long strands filling my pic when I try to detangle my hair. I've tried the detangle in the shower technique, and it does work a tad better than doing it dry, but I will have globs of long hairs all on the curtains, stuck in the drain..everywhere.

The only thing that detangles my hair sufficiently is Motions CPR, but I cannot use that everytime I shampoo..can I?

I really don't see why not, if it works for you, then go with it. If you are worried about over-loading on protein and dryness, then try pre-pooing with it, detangling, then shampooing in reverse order. If you get an adverse reaction after a few shampoos, then you may want to go back to the drawing board but if you are getting desirable results with it I say use it more frequently. If you only wash your hair weekly, then I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

CAPlush said:
I really don't see why not, if it works for you, then go with it. If you are worried about over-loading on protein and dryness, then try pre-pooing with it, detangling, then shampooing in reverse order. If you get an adverse reaction after a few shampoos, then you may want to go back to the drawing board but if you are getting desirable results with it I say use it more frequently. If you only wash your hair weekly, then I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

That's a good idea. I'll try that tonight! Thanks!

I had a huge problem with tangles as well. There were a few things I tried that was suppose to help detangle, but it didn't seem to really work for me. I would always end up losing a lot of hair.

Now whenever I wash, I part my hair into four sections and ensure I get any tangles I may have with my fingers. Usually I prepoo with a conditioner and I apply it to my hair as if I am applying a relaxer for the first time (from root to tip). You don't have to prepoo if you don't want to. Ensure that you clip each section with a clip. I just wash one section at a time being careful not to manipiultate too much. This way my hair is less tangled and is so much easier to detangle.

I no longer dread this portion on wash days. I suggest you give it a try next time you wash.

Everyone gave me some great tips thanks. The first I am going to try is simply pre-pooing with my conditioner and then washing as usual to see if that helps.

Tangles are my biggest hair enemy. To avoid them I do the following:

Pre-poo with conditioner and finger comb my hair
Braid my hair in 5 sections, including 1 separate area for my nape.
Shampoo, then use instant conditioner (Garnier Sleek & Shine) and comb hair under shower stream in sections.
I also use Paul Mitchell The Detangler on tough sections.
Then I proceed with regular conditioning.

I do this 1x a week. At my mid-week wash, I only finger comb in the shower, unless I'm streatching and need to detangle with the comb. HTH :)

sunnydaze said:

Sunny, my best experience with a detangler is TRESEMME DETANGLE. I spritz it on and my braid begins to loosen all on its own momentum. I buy it from FAMILY DOLLAR, the only place I've ever seen it.

Back