Depression from wearing buns

glamazon386

I've felt like this before. IDK why but something like the bun makes me feel like my hair isn't done. I'm trying not to wear them anymore. A few months back I found a patch in the middle of my head that broke off from wearing my wet bun in the same spot all the time. :ohwell: I guess my fine hair couldn't take being pulled back like that for such a long time. I'll be wearing some other protective styles until June.

Ms Lala

I've felt like this before. IDK why but something like the bun makes me feel like my hair isn't done. I'm trying not to wear them anymore. A few months back I found a patch in the middle of my head that broke off from wearing my wet bun in the same spot all the time. :ohwell: I guess my fine hair couldn't take being pulled back like that for such a long time. I'll be wearing some other protective styles until June.

I can't wet bun either, it causes breakage for me. I don't really like buns. I wear updos because I like them but rarely do I wear a plain bun. If I do bun I like to do something fun w/the front of my hair like flat twists or something. This week I actually am wearing a bun but I've been accessorizing it a little. I wear my hair out on the weekends though.

glamazon386

For those who bun, do you think you receive more male attention from men when you wear it down? I don't know, it just seems like men like when a woman wears her hair down.

I guess it depends on the person. I get compliments from men on my buns all the time. *shrugs* You can see my face better when my hair is pulled back.

Ms Lala

I guess it depends on the person. I get compliments from men on my buns all the time. *shrugs* You can see my face better when my hair is pulled back.

OMG me too, all these guys were trying to talk to me this week while I'm wearing this bun. I'm wearing my wedding ring too, I wish they would leave alone. LOL. I do tend to dress up more though when I bun and put on make up so maybe that's why.

GraceV

I think many of us on this forum do not like buns yet still force ourselves to wear them because we want to gain length. Plain and simple. Im just simply venting and seeing if im the only one who feels this way about bunning so if you cant take the thread seriously then oh well. Have a nice day OP. :yep:

There are other ways to PS that don't include the bun, I wish the ladies who hate buns would explore those options instead of hating the way their hair is presented. I know how peer pressure can be and I hate to think folks are being pressured to conform to a particular style because of growth. We have many options ladies, we just need to explore them.

@ OP You could wear you hair down more and just take protective measures as some have described here. I'm bun-DEPENDENT. I can have my hair down for a few hours and it just gets in the way (getting snagged on stuff, getting stuck on my lip gloss). Ugh! I get excited at the new kinds of buns I can do as my hair grows :) I've started investing in hair candy for my hair as it grows-- hair sticks, forks, clips e.t.c. A bun can be exciting!

cia_garces

This is kind of like the cardinal no-no of wearing buns. You have to switch up the position of your bun (or any kind of ponytail) 'cause otherwise the tension from being in the same spot all the time will create breakage. Little tidbit for the future. :drunk:

I feel the SAME way!! I feel very regal and like you can see all'a dis good stuff goin' on when my hair is pulled back. :lol:

cia_garces

Hair ideas, OP!!!! I hope this helps cure your bun depression. :bighug:

Double bun: Lusciously Lengthy: Buns

Chinese bun: Long hair styles: Chinese Bun hairstyle It looks kind of wonky right here, but the next link has tons of protective and low maintenance styles and the Chinese bun is one of them.

Lots of styling options: Styling guide The Chinese bun is the 4th pic under protective styling. The girl runs this site is a member here, too!!! If she can grow her hair and have fun with it, I know you can too!!

Braid out tutorial: YouTube - Braidout Tutorial Part I I'm pretty sure you know how to do a braidout, but I LOVE this girl's technique!!! Even though she and I are relaxed, I feel like this method gives me the best most de-luscious braidouts ever. I always feel sexy when I do this braidout.

Hope these help!!! If I run across anymore, I'll post them here.

glamazon386

This is kind of like the cardinal no-no of wearing buns. You have to switch up the position of your bun (or any kind of ponytail) 'cause otherwise the tension from being in the same spot all the time will create breakage. Little tidbit for the future. :drunk:

I feel the SAME way!! I feel very regal and like you can see all'a dis good stuff goin' on when my hair is pulled back. :lol:

To the bolded - And you know what, I have nobody to blame but myself. I knew that. But I figured since I never had a problem with it before, it wasn't going to cause me a problem. I've been bunning for years. I even wore buns when my hair was relaxed. But I think it's because of the wet hair. Never had a problem with dry hair.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
personally, i can't wear any style for too long. variety is the spice of life :)
give yourself a few free days a week so you can stunt on heauxs :yep:

and here a few cute pics of buns/updos that i like, OP-some ideas perhaps...

hairedity

OP I get the same feeling when I'm in braids,,, which I haven't worn in about 1.5 yrs (yes my avatar pic is old). I hate(d) single braids sooooo much, but I stuck with it for a while to grow out my BC.

abcd09

I've been feeling the same way. I'm stuck in a rut since I am nearly 17 weeks post relaxer. I can't even do a bun right because of my sides. I'd love to try Zoe's updo, but my sides are funny.

CarolinaGal

Hey Carolinagal!
Do you have a pic of this style? I was trying really hard to visualize it..but it's jst not coming to me @ all lol.

Hi! Apologies for the slow response. I finally found a few pix. These were taken in May 2010. I hope my explanation makes sense.

So all I did was take out my twists and then gathered my hair in a low, loose ponytail. The ponytail holder/elastic was not at the base of my neck, I slid it about halfway down the length of my hair. Then I rolled it all up, tucked and pinned.

Attachments

• twist and tuck front.jpg
    twist and tuck front.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 9
  • twist and tuck left.jpg
    twist and tuck left.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 16
  • twist and tuck right.jpg
    twist and tuck right.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 17

janeemat

I could never wear a bun for a year:nono:. I'm on personal bun challenge to wear a bun 3 months 5 days a week. My hair is always down on Sundays. I don't know if I will last this long because 16 wks and bunning type 4 hair is NOT cute.

Rei

I'd love to stop wearing my hair up but my hair looks ridiculous when out. Its an awkward length, its looks all thin and piecey when I stretch it:cry3:

OP looking at your signature, you have gorgeous hair. Wear it down! Just clip up the back loosely if its going to be rubbing on things (like a coat) and let it back down when you take your coat off.

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I have been bunning every day of my life for the past 2 years!!! I know the results will make it worth it. Tryna reach MBL by end of year 2011!!:yep:

Sadly, I have actually FORGOTTEN how to style my own hair anymore...*sigh*:nono: