Depression from wearing buns

CarmelCupcake

Oh my goodness. I 've been wearing buns for a little over a year now. I am so bored with wearing my hair in buns all the time, but i guess its the price i must pay to obtain super long hair. What really sucks about it is that at my college, all the girls on campus are wearing their hair down, showing off their beautiful hair while im stuck with my boring bun. Anyone else suffering from "bun depression"?

Last edited:

virtuenow

I get depressed looking at people in buns. I don't know how you guys do it! I tried it today and yesterday (since I discovered I now have a "super bun"). It was interesting for about a minute. Plus, I think you can retain just as much hair from leaving hair loose and using a low manipulation routine. Plus you actually learn your hair rather than hide or "protect" it away. Much like an overprotective parent who locks their kid away. Once you expose it to the real world, you are much more prone to breakage and loss since you never really learn to "wear" your hair in styles in the real world. I speak from experience.

Lovelylife

Girl i feel you! Have you met your hair goals?
I'm getting pretty close to my length goals but my hair grows so slooowwww. I was supposed to be BSL last year, but I'm BSL this year. I want to get to atleast MBL, which I should be by April, however I doubt it.
My hair looks totally different though, the strands are nice and smooth. So for that it was worth it...I think.
In April I'll starting wearing my hair down 50% of the time instead of 1% of the time. I love hair, therefore it's hard to see it up all the time.

Being on campus is difficult because everyone is trying to look their best. I wonder I'm stunting my own relationship growth.

empressri

girl just wear it down for a day. it wont kill ya, trust me. just when you're going to put your coat on or sit in a chair where your ends can brush against the back of it, keep a soft scrunchy with you to pull your hair back.

personally....i need a bun or ponytail cause my hair catches onto everything and makes me feel crazy. i stayyyy with a scrunchy on hand to pull my hair back!

Lovelylife

I get depressed looking at people in buns. I don't know how you guys do it! I tried it today and yesterday (since I discovered I now have a "super bun"). It was interesting for about a minute. Plus, I think you can retain just as much hair from leaving hair loose and using a low manipulation routine. Plus you actually learn your hair rather than hide or "protect" it away. Much like an overprotective parent who locks their kid away. Once you expose it to the real world, you are much more prone to breakage and loss since you never really learn to "wear" your hair in styles in the real world. I speak from experience.
That's a pretty interesting concept.

Carisa

I dont wear buns but I feel this exact same way about my braids- but I can always look foward to the summer (my hair will be down whether my goals are met or not)

lettieg27

Yeah I feel you I've been wearing a wig 4 a year and b4 that it was a wig, I try to bun occassionally but I honestly just want to wear my hair, when I get past apl hopefully by May I'll wear my hair more frequently

ajoyfuljoy

I'm not fond of buns at all. That's why I don't wear them. I'd rather have short hair and have it styled everyday (if I had to choose).

diadall

OMGEE.

I had this conversation with a coworker yesterday. I have quit cold turkey wearing my hair out and have been bunning since maybe October. It was okay at first, but now I don't feel sexy with my bun. I have SL but I have always been complimented on my hair, its bounce and its fullness.

I am in the bun challenge but I knew that I have increased presentations February through May and I will have to wear my hair down a lot more.

I agree with Empressri, I am going to wear my hair down, but just be careful.

tapioca_pudding

Maybe try hair sticks, or a fancy bun. But there are many other ways to reach your goals than just bunning all the time.. Hair should be enjoyed, it shouldn't be a cause for depression. :nono:

Aireen

Wow, my mum loves buns. She doesn't do it to protective style because she has really strong hair that she can basically do anything with — literally. Seriously though, I have to BEG her to show off her hair because she just doesn't like leaving it down. :perplexed

Leeda.the.Paladin

I guess I just grew up wearing buns so much that I still find them very attractive. I also have a thing sometimes about hair on my neck, especially when it's hot outside. OP, do you ever try some different hair accessories or styles of buns to spice things up?

JJamiah

I wear my hair up for 3 weeks in wigs a month; I wear my hair out for the rest of the month. Every 4th month I leave my hair out for the whole month. I think it leaves me low maintenance enough, but not dependent on PSing.

curlycrocheter

I've grown to really love my buns. Plus, it's kind of an ego boost that on the rare occasions I wear my hair out people go "oooooh I didn't know your hair was soooo long" :giggle:

But I also try to spice my buns up every day. I wear flowers, hair sticks, flexi 8s, forks...whatever. They make me feel pretty.

LoveLongLocks

I have seen my Mother wear a bun since I can remember, so I am awfully prejudice about buns. I don't care for them all of the time on me. I protective style my hair, but try lots of options. Braids, Half sew ins, Half up do', wash and go's - whatever... My last resort is a bun.
My Mother had long hair, but kept it up because she did not like the attention - or it being all over the place. So, it works - but, I relate to you!

CarmelCupcake

For those who bun, do you think you receive more male attention from men when you wear it down? I don't know, it just seems like men like when a woman wears her hair down.

TLC1020

I love wearing my buns.. I retain sooo much length that way but every now and then I did wear my hair down and it didn't hinder my goal. So if you want to wear your hair down a few times a month do that if you like..

Wearing your hair down and out once in a while won't hurt. Sometimes you just want to look all glam

anartist4u2001

girl just wear it down for a day. it wont kill ya, trust me. just when you're going to put your coat on or sit in a chair where your ends can brush against the back of it, keep a soft scrunchy with you to pull your hair back.

personally....i need a bun or ponytail cause my hair catches onto everything and makes me feel crazy. i stayyyy with a scrunchy on hand to pull my hair back!

omg heyyyyyyyyyyy, i didn't know you were on this site. i watch your youtube videos all the time. :)