"Deep Conditioners" = Waste of Money?

Glib Gurl

So, I am all out of the products I typically use for deep conditioning. When shopping for replacements I realized that a lot of the ingredients are the same as a regular conditioner . . . you just use them differently.

So, I'm wondering - are "deep conditioning" products just a waste of money? Can't you achieve the same results by just using your regular conditioners for a longer period of time and/or with heat?

If not, what are some deep conditioners that you think are worth the money?

Thanks!!!

faithVA

I really think this depends on your hair and what you are doing to it on a regular basis. If you are color treated, use heat regularly, have low porosity hair or something like that, you need a deep conditioner. Perhaps a natural with regular porosity who has hair that stays fairly moisturized can get away with this. Even some ladies that cowash on a regular basis skip deep conditioning all together.

You have to access your hair. If you are able to maintain good moisture in your hair then you may be able to do so.

My hair stays on the dry side, so I don't skip deep conditioning ever. My favorite DC is Aubrey Organics Blue Chamomile. Second in line is AO White Camellia.

nlamr2013

idk I haven't deep conditioned in a while and my hair feels better than ever. I'm going to DC after I wash today so I'll see if it feels even better.

Ann0804

I've noticed that some "regular conditioners" do have the same ingredients as DCers. I've even seen a lot of conditioners state you can use them in multiple ways- rinse out, DC, and/or leave in. I'm DCing 1-2 times a week. I use and like Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment because it makes my hair feel- soft and not coated. I also like the natural ingredients in it.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I think it depends on the deep conditioner. The good ones that work with your hair do exactly what they're supposed to do, vs just laying on your hair smelling pretty. I think they definitely give your hair a moisture boost.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Glib Gurl

I look at instant and deep conditioners differently due to their make-up.

It is my understanding that the molecular make-up of Deep Conditioners are smaller and more penetrable (if that's a word).

And regular 'instant' conditioners are just for a quick R/O.

I primarily purchase the ones that say: Deep, Intensive, Reconstructive, Treatment etc.... and are often recommended to use with Heat and to leave on a specific amount of time 20-60 minutes etc....

I would suggest to you, since you are looking for Deep Conditioners to try that are affordable:
Silk Dreams
Aubrey Organics
Shea Moisture

Some others you may want to try:

Darcy's DC'er
Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locs Hair Masque
Claudie's Revitalizing
BeeMine DC'er
Marie Dean Conditioners and/or DC'ers
Hairveda Sitrinillah
Afroveda Ashlii Amala
Hydratherma Naturals

sckri23

My cowash conditioner is all in one for me and it works miracles so buying a seperate dc is not needed.

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

lovegymnasts

So, I'm wondering - are "deep conditioning" products just a waste of money? Can't you achieve the same results by just using your regular conditioners for a longer period of time and/or with heat?

My hair says no!
I have tried to not deep condition...my hair did not feel as good.
I tried to deep condition without using heat...my hair did not like that.

For me and what I want for my hair, deep conditioning with heat is necessary.

Ogoma

My understanding is similar to @IDareT'sHair's. Deep conditioners have smaller and or hydrolyzed molecules that can penetrate and/or fill in the damaged cuticles along the hair shaft. I would not use Trader Joe or Suave conditioners as a deep conditioning treatment because the molecules are too large and that is not what it is produced to do, but I will and do use Curl Junkie rinse-out conditioners (Smoothing Conditioners/Olive & Argan) as deep conditioning treatments.

I co-wash several times a week so this may have something to do with it, but I have not used a steamer in >2 months and only use a deep conditioning cap in the shower for 5-10 mins after cleansing and my hair is at its healthiest ever. As @faithVA stated above, only you can decide if it is a waste for you.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Ogoma

I agree. Curl Junkie has some great conditioners. I totally forgot about the Deep Fix/Banana Hibiscus and Curl Rehab.

Also, Glib Gurl I failed to mention SheScentIt which has some nice DC'ers in their Line.

Whimsy

My favorite DC is from Supergirl's line Silk Dreams.
I do sometimes take a regular conditioner and some coconut oil and slather it on my dry hair as a faux DC.
I wouldn't say DC is a waste though.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I tried using regular conditioner as a deep conditioner once by leaving it on longer than its recommended time & it made my hair stiff. So I don't do that anymore.

virtuenow

Aubrey Organics GPB is the only "deep conditioner". All other DCs I've tried are the same as regular conditioners on my hair, cheap hair hardeners.

melissa-bee

Before I would have said no, but few months ago I tried plain old coconut milk and honey as a DC and it worked even better than my staple DC which was AO GPB. Once it is finished I'll never by a DC again. I'm just gonna stick to my cowashing conditioner to add a nice scent after.