About conditioners

aurora3140

I remember reading on here a while ago that only conditioners that are specifically labeled as "deep conditioner"s, will penetrate the hair shaft, thus deep conditioning. This is because the molecules in these conditioners are small enough to do so. These products also direct the user to leave the conditioner on for a longer time, anywhere between 5-45 minutes, sometimes with heat.

I have seen that a lot of women on here are just using regular conditioners, sometimes mixing them with oils, and leaving them on their hair longer than usual for a "deep conditioning treatment". I have to wonder whether this is really any more beneficial than leaving these products on as long as directed, which is usually 1-3 minutes for non-deep conditioners. I don't get how using a non-deep conditioner on for a long time can make a difference, especially since the molecules don't actually penetrate, but coat the shaft.

The way I see it, the people who manufacture conditioners probably want people to get the most out of the product and the directions are meant to make the product most effective (if the product works well, the customer will most likely re-purchase). So why use the product longer than directed?

What does everyone else think?

mzhotniz86

i've been at a lost about this too . just in general about what coats the hair and what doesnt. i use design essen. cons and i use either under a hood dryer with cap for about 15 -20 min. if im using no heat, then i keep it on for 20-35 min. my hair still comes out decent, but i do notice a little coating from time to time (depending on whether or not i use cold or warm water). i dont even know what real deep conditioners everyone uses, cause most people do what i do and dc with regular conditioners.

HoneyDew

I think it is important to be aware of the ingredients in your conditioner. You can tell on your own if it can be a nice treatment for your hair.

So many of my "regular" conditioners will have multiple sets of instructions.

For example, my Dumb Blonde Reconstructor says to rinse after a few min, but for a deeper treatment leave on for 15 min.

I have others that say that, as well.

I just check ingredients and I decide if it can be beneficial for me to leave it on longer.

Honestly, most conditioners have the same base ingredients anyway.

aurora3140

Thanks for clearing that up Honeydew. My purple top CON conditioner also specifies a short leave-in time for quick conditioning and a longer time for deep conditioning.

I just get confused when I read about some ladies using products like Suave Naturals, V05, or Garnier Fructis, not to co-wash or for quick conditioning, but for DCs. :perplexed

aurora3140

i've been at a lost about this too . just in general about what coats the hair and what doesnt. i use design essen. cons and i use either under a hood dryer with cap for about 15 -20 min. if im using no heat, then i keep it on for 20-35 min. my hair still comes out decent, but i do notice a little coating from time to time (depending on whether or not i use cold or warm water). i dont even know what real deep conditioners everyone uses, cause most people do what i do and dc with regular conditioners.

Yeah, I do the same thing! ORS Replenishing Pak, Queen Helene, and others also have different lengths of time depending on whether or not heat is used. Sometimes, I just don't feel like sitting under the dryer with my deep conditioner, so I leave it on my hair longer.

I know that the heat helps the product to penetrate, but these are DCs and are meant to penetrate. Does the heat encourage other conditioners (not labeled as deep conditioners) to penetrate as well?

mzhotniz86

Yeah, I do the same thing! ORS Replenishing Pak, Queen Helene, and others also have different lengths of time depending on whether or not heat is used. Sometimes, I just don't feel like sitting under the dryer with my deep conditioner, so I leave it on my hair longer.

I know that the heat helps the product to penetrate, but these are DCs and are meant to penetrate. Does the heat encourage other conditioners (not labeled as deep conditioners) to penetrate as well?

It seems like heat helps the conditioner penetrate better. my hair always comes out a little softer and easier to detangle when i use heat with a dc. but everybody hair is different and it also depends on if you're relaxed or not. i mainly used the con the way my stylists use it and it works for me (even though none of them say 'deep conditioner")

Leslie_C

I tend to mostly associated thinner, more watery, cheaper conditioners (suave, vo5, etc) instant rinse out conditioners....and thicker, richer conditioners as deep conditioners (ORS paks, cholesterol, Pantene breakage defense mask, etc). I think ppl consider the thinner ones deep conditioners when they add homemade ingredients, because those ingredients contain conditioning properties and could even be used alone without the conditioner (eggs,mayo,evoo,honey,etc).