December 2013 Hits & Misses

prettyinpurple

Thanks MileHighDiva

Glad that I ordered another one during the black Friday sale. My hair has been super dry from coloring and this stuff seems to do the trick.

I had to read this twice. I was confused at first, of course I have a dirty mind :look: :lol:.

Clearly I'm not in the hair forum enough b/c we see what 'coloring' means elsewhere on the board.

ronie

Thanks for the review MileHighDiva. I have the sour cream bonnet (paid $40 for double lined) for at least a year now. I tried it when it first arrived, but could not stand to sleep in it. That thing is way too tight. I started having instant headache. It could be that i am sensitive, but i have not touched it since then. It's been in my draw. I been using my cheap satin bonnet from walgreens, and i'm all good. I also have 100% silk pillow cases for THOSE nights. I never bothered with a different vendor until your review. I'm gonna check them out.

KinkyGenius

Mega Hit
Obia Twist Whip Butter - Uber defined twistout, really really love it! I kinda knew I would though, the texture of this product is so creamy and smooth. Left my hair with an incredible sheen and softness as well. My hair feels great, which is not a result I am used to from a styler. I think this (contains glycerin) and the Komaza Care Califia Styling Pudding (does not contain glycerin) will be my staple stylers :love:

Lexsmarie

HIT: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment, Curl Junkie Pattern Pusher, Curl Junkie Fix Me!Reconstructive Hair Treatment.... This my first time trying Curl Junkie products and I am pleasantly surprised. Totally in love.

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Perfect 7 leave in conditioner

Miss: WEN Mango/Coconut Conditioner Cleanser.... I'm learning this product is cause the breakage in my hair.

PJaye

New Hit: Bask Vanilla Whiskey Reparative Hair Soak

Despite being heavy-handedly applied, this conditioner immediately disappeared into my hair; leaving behind a soft, silky feel. Upon rinsing, my hair felt luxuriously soft, moisturized...and a tad bit strong. As you can see from the pic below, I barely put a dent in the contents of the jar, which more than justifies the four jars I picked up during her recent sale.

Provisional Hit: SSI Blueberry Co-Wash Conditioner

This product offers the same wonderful scent, texture and slip as the Avocado Conditioner and Okra Reconstructor. It cleansed well and provided a bit of moisture without leaving my hair stiff and/or stripped. Still, I will need to sample at least 2 or 3 more bottles of this product before my research can be completed.

New Miss: Bask Palm Tapioca Hair Cream

This product does not aid in moisture retention in any way; all it does is make my hair feel stiff and dry. If it continues to give a subpar performance, it will be placed on ash removal duty – knees and elbows division.

Attachments

• Bask Whiskey.jpg
    Bask Whiskey.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 40

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
New Hit: Bask Vanilla Whiskey Reparative Hair Soak

Despite being heavy-handedly applied, this conditioner immediately disappeared into my hair; leaving behind a soft, silky feel. Upon rinsing, my hair felt luxuriously soft, moisturized...and a tad bit strong. As you can see from the pic below, I barely put a dent in the contents of the jar, which more than justifies the four jars I picked up during her recent sale.

Provisional Hit: SSI Blueberry Co-Wash Conditioner

This product offers the same wonderful scent, texture and slip as the Avocado Conditioner and Okra Reconstructor. It cleansed well and provided a bit of moisture without leaving my hair stiff and/or stripped. Still, I will need to sample at least 2 or 3 more bottles of this product before my research can be completed.

New Miss: Bask Palm Tapioca Hair Cream

This product does not aid in moisture retention in any way; all it does is make my hair feel stiff and dry. If it continues to give a subpar performance, it will be placed on ash removal duty – knees and elbows division.

:lol::lol:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
NEW HIT: Soultanicals Mango Dip Detangling I used this before shampooing to detangle. It provided superp slip aiding in almost instantaneous detangling of my 4b hair. The slip on this stuff is sick. I didn't even need my usual EVCO, though I still applied some for added hygral fatigue protection. Definite repurchase.

NEW HIT: My Honey Child Buttery Soy. This stuff seals in moisture and smooths down my hair like a dream. Consistency is like butter. Excellent for twists. Nice faint scent.

REVISTED HIT: Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. Excellent light to medium protein treatment. Leaves hair soft, strong and curls popping.

NEUTRAL: My Honey Child Olive You & My Honey Child Coconut Papaya Hair Paste: These Dcers are easy to apply with a nice slippy consistency, and provide soft moisturized hair. I wasn't wowed, especially since the smells are not good.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
NEW HIT: Soultanicals Mango Dip Detangling I used this before shampooing to detangle. It provided superp slip aiding in almost instantaneous detangling of my 4b hair. The slip on this stuff is sick. I didn't even need my usual EVCO, though I still applied some for added hygral fatigue protection. Definite repurchase.

NEW HIT: My Honey Child Buttery Soy. This stuff seals in moisture and smooths down my hair like a dream. Consistency is like butter. Excellent for twists. Nice faint scent.

REVISTED HIT: Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. Excellent light to medium protein treatment. Leaves hair soft, strong and curls popping.

NEUTRAL: My Honey Child Olive You & My Honey Child Coconut Papaya Hair Paste: These Dcers are easy to apply with a nice slippy consistency, and provide soft moisturized hair. I wasn't wowed, especially since the smells are not good.

The only way MHC DC's wow me is under the steamer. I've tried them all :yep:. Alone, I get moisturized hair......... with steam , baby butter soft, silky smooth.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
HIT: Combining Giovanni Nutrafix and Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner for a BOMB DC! The comb just glided through my hair and my hair felt juciy and strong afterward!

HIT: Moisturizing spritz with distilled water, AVJ and rose water!

HIT: Organic Palm Oil shortening mixed with EVCO and EVOO!

HIT: Texas Natural Supply Lotion Base I for a leave-in! Light yet powerfully moisturizing! My curls are poppin'!

HIT: Texas Natural Supple Shea Aloe Emulsion for my eczema!

Lita

New Hits-

*Happy Nappy Hair

Hibicus Dc 'slippery'-Thick creamy texture,I like this on my ends..Cane in handy during these last cold days,kept my bun nice/soft & moisturized..

Coffee Caramel Cream Brûlée-.This has become a staple for me..Yes I'm claiming it..Works in wet/damp & dry hair...Plays well with my staple leave-in & other products I have..

Honey Ice Tea spritz-This has sealed in moisture on my hair & skin..Like the texture too..Skin loves this after a hot bath..

*SSI-

Juicy Berry Hair Frosting-Smooth med texture,nice lite fluffy,Absorbs well,nice on my ends..

Blueberry Co/Wash-My hair & scalp was nice/clean,yet very soft...Texture silky lotion..Soft scent..
...................................................................................

Continued Hits-

*AfroVeda

Ashilli Amla Raspberry-This has been an all time favorite for me,my hair likes this as a Dc,But LOVES this as a rinse-out,talk about super super duper tangle free,moisturized hair..Yep..It plays well with alllllllll of my products..Alllll

*KeraVada
Fenugreek oil-Keeps the scalp healthy,Strong/soft hair..Helps with shedding..Little goes a long way.

*CC Naturals

Hibiscus Butter-Filled to the top..Little goes a long way/use on your skin too

Hibiscus leave-in-Thick texture,can be used as a leave-in or Dc

Rice Pudding leave-in..Little goes a long way/plays well with others..

Coconut Fluff-Can use it on your scalp/ends too & skin..Filled to the top

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

ronie

Hit: ORS curls unleashed sulfate free shampoo. It leaves my hair soft, and detangled. I was able to apply my DC easily without using a rinse out conditioner first. I have been looking for a sulfate free shampoo for over a year. I have tried many (expensive and cheap). This is the ONE.
Hit: Jane Carters curls curling cream. This smells great, gives nice soft twist out with amazing shine. I did not have to use a sealing product with it.
Hit: Jane carter s nourish and shine. Nice alternative to my SD mocha bling butter.
Miss: Design essential sulfate free shampoo, CON argan oil shampoo, Bask palm tapioca.

Pompous Blue

MISS:
Obia Haircare Twist Whip Butter - Gave moisture but no definition. Flat twist out lasted all of 1/2 hr. Turned into a TWA. Two thumbs down!!!!!!!

Obia Haircare Curl Enhancing Custard - No definition; no staying power.

Both products work fine on DH's hair. He's a type 3.

I'm a type 4C, natural.

Gave both to him!

Angelbean

New Hits-

*Happy Nappy Hair

Hibicus Dc 'slippery'-Thick creamy texture,I like this on my ends..Cane in handy during these last cold days,kept my bun nice/soft & moisturized..

Coffee Caramel Cream Brûlée-.This has become a staple for me..Yes I'm claiming it..Works in wet/damp & dry hair...Plays well with my staple leave-in & other products I have..

Honey Ice Tea spritz-This has sealed in moisture on my hair & skin..Like the texture too..Skin loves this after a hot bath..

*SSI-

Juicy Berry Hair Frosting-Smooth med texture,nice lite fluffy,Absorbs well,nice on my ends..

Blueberry Co/Wash-My hair & scalp was nice/clean,yet very soft...Texture silky lotion..Soft scent..
...................................................................................

Continued Hits-

*AfroVeda

Ashilli Amla Raspberry-This has been an all time favorite for me,my hair likes this as a Dc,But LOVES this as a rinse-out,talk about super super duper tangle free,moisturized hair..Yep..It plays well with alllllllll of my products..Alllll

*KeraVada
Fenugreek oil-Keeps the scalp healthy,Strong/soft hair..Helps with shedding..Little goes a long way.

*CC Naturals

Hibiscus Butter-Filled to the top..Little goes a long way/use on your skin too

Hibiscus leave-in-Thick texture,can be used as a leave-in or Dc

Rice Pudding leave-in..Little goes a long way/plays well with others..

Coconut Fluff-Can use it on your scalp/ends too & skin..Filled to the top

Happy Hair Growing!
Why oh why did you have to praise all the products from my wish list!! Lol off to make dummy carts for checkout after Christmas lol

Babygrowth

Miss CON argan oil shampoo

Made my hair feel stripped and coated. Nothing works for me like Hairveda Amala cream rinse!

Brownie518

HITS

KeraVada Fenugreek Oil
KeraVada Green Tea Neem Oil
Annabelle's Scalp Rx pomade

HAVING ISSUES

Happy Nappy Honey Hibiscus DC - as a DC, this leaves my hair too greasy so I'm going to try it as a sealer and maybe as a prepoo or something. It's too much for my relaxed hair as a Dc.

TeeBee

MISS
Coworkers praising my straight hair.."you should wear it like this more often".."I like your hair like 'that/this'"
In their defense. I don't wear my natural hair 'out' at work. ALWAYS bunned..so they never really 'see' it lol
I just feel uncomfortable. I mean, I appreciate the compliments but.. Dang. Where ya'll at when I rock my bossiest bun?? They sure do tell you how they really feel once that hair is laid. Smh.

myronnie

Hit: Claudies Mango diluted with aloe vera to take down my twists works crazy good! Great slip and not sticky.

Miss: Soultanicals Knot Sauce
Sticky mess. My hair breaks every time I use it..every time. I really wanted to like it. I have a bottle on the way so I guess I'll give it away.

Hit: Curly Kinks Coil Jam
Still love this. Went out on a date last night and used this on my hair and it was gorgeous. It made my edges curl up so pretty. The only downside is the short shelflife.

Eta
On the fence:
Pomade Shop peppermint Pomade
My scalp was burning after applying this..its been making my scalp hurt and feel sensitive. Too much peppermint for me. I love the smell though :(

Last edited:

DigitalRain

Hits: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Strength & Shine Leave in
Jamaican Black Castor Oil Lavender scent. Will try Mango next
Ms. Keys 10 en 1 conditioner. Didn't like it when I was relaxed but it works great for my natural hair.
Trader Joes Nourishing Conditioner. This sure seems a lot like Giovanni Direct Leave in
ORS Edge Control.

Miss: Ms. Jessies Curly hair pudding. Why is this stuff so expensive???? I've found $5 products that work better than this.

biancaelyse

Miss: Trader Joe Nourish Spa

This was my HG for a long time but now, I hate what it does to my hair. Very little slip, no detangling, frizzy dry looking hair afterwards.

I don't know if they changed their formula or not but I'm moving on.

Britt

MAJOR HIT:

Naturelle Grow Marshmallow Deep conditioner and leave in conditioner!
Let me tell you, I washed my hair and was expecting not to like it since my hair is sooo fickle with conditioners. As soon as this stuff hit my hair-- I was in LOVE! It smells good and it moisturizes and detangles. It is PERFECTTTTTTT! I was ready to come and start a thread on this alone. I loved the product so much that I went on etsy and decided to order a few more of the smallest size conditioners so I could try them out. I LOVE that this conditioner is affordable. I've been having a hard time finding moisturizing DCs that I really like besides Darcy's Pumpkin Seed. Since I started transitioning, I realize my hair needs conditioners with more umphhh to it.

When I washed out the Naturelle Grow Deep conditioner I was like this in the shower -- no lie

CodeRed

Hit: SheScentIt Okra Reconstructor. This stuff actually softened my hair during application after Bigen shampoo made it hard. I could comb through and detangle... It says to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner...All I followed it up with was VO5 Silk Experience Shea Cashmere and my hair is so soft and strong....It feels so full.... I wish everyone could touch it lol. That V05 must work better than I was already praising it for...

Kind of hit: Hydroquench Systems Coconut Mango Hydrating Mask.... It made my hair soft, but when I conditioned I dry hair it made it "clump" a little bit and I couldn't figure out why.... the only things that make my hair do that are silicones, leave in oils and heavy butters so on to the miss....

Miss: Hydroquench Systems saying that Coconut Mango Hydrating Mask (actually called Coconut Mango Repairing Mask on the jar) is silicone free when Dimethicone is actually the 5th to last ingredient. The ingredient list on the website is not the same as the one on the jar, and the jar in the picture on the website (what I can see of it) has the exact same sequence of ingredients as mine does. Not sure what to think of that :perplexed

Continued hits: Deep conditioning on wet or dry hair (multiple times a week), grapeseed oil, oiling scalp with deep conditioners, hydrolyzed collagen/hydrolyzed silk protein mix, tea spray for everything.

Ogoma

Continued Hits:
DB Transitioning Creme
Oyin Hair Dew

Both have been giving me some butter soft hair. I don't even seal after using them to re-moisturize and my hair is soft all day.