Dealing with desires of our hearts . . .

Glib Gurl

Hey You Guys

I'm leading a discussion at my church on Sunday on Psalm 103. I selected that psalm because of the bolded verses in particular:

Psalm 103
(New International Reader’s Version)
1 I will praise the Lord.
Deep down inside me, I will praise him.
I will praise him, because his name is holy.
2 I will praise the Lord.
I won't forget anything he does for me.
3 He forgives all my sins.
He heals all my sicknesses.
4 He saves my life from going down into the grave.
His faithful and tender love makes me feel like a king.
5 He satisfies me with the good things I long for.
Then I feel young and strong again, just like an eagle.
6 The Lord does what is right and fair
for all who are beaten down.
7 He told Moses all about his plans.
He let the people of Israel see his mighty acts.
8 The Lord is tender and kind. He is gracious.
He is slow to get angry. He is full of love.
He won't keep bringing charges against us.
He won't stay angry with us forever.

10 He doesn't punish us for our sins as much as we should be punished.
He doesn't pay us back in keeping with the evil things we've done.
11 His love for those who have respect for him
is as high as the heavens are above the earth.
12 He has removed our lawless acts from us
as far as the east is from the west.
A father is tender and kind to his children.
In the same way, the Lord is tender and kind
to those who have respect for him.

14 He knows what we are made of.
He remembers that we are dust.
15 People's lives are like grass.
People grow like the flowers in the field.
16 When the wind blows on them, they are gone.
No one can tell that they had ever been there.
17 But the Lord's love
for those who have respect for him
lasts for ever and ever.
Their children's children will know
that he always does what is right.
18 He always loves those who keep his covenant.
He always does what is right for those who remember to obey his commands.
19 The Lord has set up his throne in heaven.
His kingdom rules over all.
20 Praise the Lord, you angels of his.
Praise him, you mighty ones
who carry out his orders and obey his word.
21 Praise the Lord, all you angels in heaven.
Praise him, all you who serve him and do what he wants.
22 Let everything the Lord has made praise him
everywhere in his kingdom.
I will praise the Lord.

Now, I have a confession to make ladies. Sometimes I have trouble trusting verse 5. Even though I do believe that God inspires certain dreams in our hearts, I always wonder if I'm just using this verse to justify something *I* want . . . especially when my desire really doesn't have anything to do with advancing the Kingdom of God. (Plus Galatians 5:17, tells us that “the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh,” so how can I know if I am simply rationalizing human/fleshly desires?)

Any thoughts?

PaperClip

"He satisfies me with the good things I long for."

I think the key word in this verse is "good". Here's the thing: there are PLENTY of things that we want...but are all of the things we want GOOD for us? Absolutely not! A couple of scriptures that come to mind are as follows:

1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not."

"23All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]." (Amplified Bible)

Again: is what I want or want to do good for me?

Another scripture: James 4 talks about the conflict between our internal strife of the flesh and the spirit.... Verses 2-3: "Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not."

From the Amplified Bible:
2You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.] You burn with envy and anger and are not able to obtain [the gratification, the contentment, and the happiness that you seek], so you fight and war. You do not have, because you do not ask. [I John 3:15.] 3[Or] you do ask [God for them] and yet fail to receive, because you ask with wrong purpose and evil, selfish motives. Your intention is [when you get what you desire] to spend it in sensual pleasures.

From The Message:
"1-2Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.
2-3You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way

How do we come to know the will of God? To know what He wants to satisfy us with? We know His will through His Word.... What does the Word of God say concerning a particular desire that we may have?

Psalm 37 says to delight ourselves in the Lord and He will give us the desires of our heart. When we delight ourselves in Him, our desires will match His desires and that's a MATCH for that desire to manifest in our lives....

Psalm 37:3-5 "3Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. 4Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 5Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."

New Life Version:
"3 Trust in the Lord, and do good. So you will live in the land and will be fed. 4 Be happy in the Lord. And He will give you the desires of your heart. 5 Give your way over to the Lord. Trust in Him also. And He will do it."

Ultimately, we know that the ONE thing that moves the Lord is FAITH.... So if you pray and believe and apply the Word of God constantly and consistently for something, the Lord has to obey His word.... Mark 9:23: "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth". But if you have EVER sincerely prayed: "thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6), then you have given the Lord the opportunity to work His will into your life.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

Ms Red

Wonderful response :)
RelaxerRehab said:

I think the key word in this verse is "good". Here's the thing: there are PLENTY of things that we want...but are all of the things we want GOOD for us? Absolutely not! A couple of scriptures that come to mind are as follows:

1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not."

"23All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]." (Amplified Bible)

Another scripture: James 4 talks about the conflict between our internal strife of the flesh and the spirit.... Verses 2-3: "Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not."

2You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.] You burn with envy and anger and are not able to obtain [the gratification, the contentment, and the happiness that you seek], so you fight and war. You do not have, because you do not ask. [I John 3:15.] 3[Or] you do ask [God for them] and yet fail to receive, because you ask with wrong purpose and evil, selfish motives. Your intention is [when you get what you desire] to spend it in sensual pleasures.

From The Message:
"1-2Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.
2-3You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way

How do we come to know the will of God? To know what He wants to satisfy us with? We know His will through His Word.... What does the Word of God say concerning a particular desire that we may have?

Psalm 37 says to delight ourselves in the Lord and He will give us the desires of our heart. When we delight ourselves in Him, our desires will match His desires and that's a MATCH for that desire to manifest in our lives....

Psalm 37:3-5 "3Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. 4Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 5Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."

New Life Version:
"3 Trust in the Lord, and do good. So you will live in the land and will be fed. 4 Be happy in the Lord. And He will give you the desires of your heart. 5 Give your way over to the Lord. Trust in Him also. And He will do it."

Ultimately, we know that the ONE thing that moves the Lord is FAITH.... So if you pray and believe and apply the Word of God constantly and consistently for something, the Lord has to obey His word.... Mark 9:23: "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth". But if you have EVER sincerely prayed: "thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6), then you have given the Lord the opportunity to work His will into your life.

Hope this is helpful!

cocoberry10

RelaxerRehab said:

From The Message:

New Life Version:

Hope this is helpful!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :yay: :yay: :yay: :bouncy:

Great response!

Glib Gurl

Thanks so much ladies for all of your feedback -- especially you, Relaxer Rehab! I would like to share my notes with you . . . I hope you don't mind but I relied quite a bit on the insights you shared . . . and also added some thoughts of my own.

(((hugs to all)))

Reasons Why I Like This Psalm

1. Mirror Jesus’ words in the New Testament.

a. Verses 15-16 (“People’s lives are like grass”) = Matthew 6:28-30 (“See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?”)

b. Verse 13 (“A father is tender and kind to his children.”) = Matthew 7:11 (“If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”)

2. Imagery of God’s Mercy (Verses 9-12)

a. Distance between heaven and earth, east and west – infinite!

3. Promise of Verse 5

a. Are we just using this to justify our own desires? Especially when our desires seem to have nothing to do with the Word of God?

i. Galatians 5:17 tells us that “the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh,” so how can I know if I am simply rationalizing human/fleshly desires?

c. We can trust this verse! Why?

i. The key word in this verse is "good." There are PLENTY of things that we want...but not everything we want is GOOD.

1. 1 Corinthians 10:23

a. NIV - "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive.”

b. Amplified - 23All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life].

ii. It is the GOOD things that will be satisfied.

1. 1 Timothy 6:17 refers to the “living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy . . . .” (King James)

iii. How do we get to wanting those GOOD things?

1. “Delighting ourselves in the Lord” - Psalm 37 says to “delight ourselves in the Lord and He will give us the desires of our heart.” When we delight ourselves in Him, our desires will match His desires and that's a MATCH for that desire to manifest in our lives....

2. “Pray without ceasing” – 1 Thessalonians 5:17, 23 instructs us to “pray without ceasing . . . . And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly . . . .”

iv. When you do these things, you will not desire things that are contrary to the will of God.