Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
May 29, 2015

Devotional:

Those who love Your law have great peace, And [fn]nothing causes them to stumble.Psalm 119:165 (NASB)

As someone who had a very clumsy stage of life, this promise is almost beyond believing — nothing can make me stumble! But when it comes to living life, if I know God's will, love it, and do it, then nothing can make me stumble. There is great peace knowing that the Father loves me and doesn't want me to fall.

Prayer:
Thank you God for this day. Thank you for all that lies ahead. Thank you that I don't have to face today or tomorrow with doubts about my basic values and without a sense of your will for my life. Stir in me a love for your will and your word so that nothing can make me stumble. Empower me by your Spirit and guide me by your truth so that I may more perfectly reflect your character. In Jesus' name I thank you for hearing my prayer. Amen.

Wisdom:
A tranquil heart is life to the body, But passion is rottenness to the bones.Proverbs 14:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 30, 2015

Devotional:

For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.Romans 12:4-5 (NASB)

One of the key realities of Christianity is belonging. I belong! I belong to God. I belong to Jesus. I belong to Jesus' body, the Church. I have a place and a purpose in that body. I belong! I am needed! I have a job to do! I belong!!

Prayer:
Help me, Father, to find the place where I'm supposes to fit into your body. Until then, I pledge to try all sorts of ministries so that your Spirit, and not just my own preference, will guide me into your place for me to serve. Thank you for giving me a place to belong. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.Matthew 5:39 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 1, 2015

Devotional:

“The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.Isaiah 26:3 (NASB)

While it is naive, on one hand, to think that trusting in God makes all of our problems go away — Christians have many of the same problems that unbelievers do because they share the same mortal flesh, on the other hand it's true. If we trust in God, we believe our work stands or falls in his hands and that ultimately we will share in his victorious and glorious presence. It means our lives will not be lived in vain. That's not just confidence; it's the foundation of true peace — lives lived to its fullest and richest knowing that it matters and we don't need to be anxious about its results.

Prayer:
Almighty Father of Peace, thank you for giving me the assurance that my life will not be lived in vain. May I share that peace with others today. In the name of Jesus, my Prince of Peace, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.Ecclesiastes 7:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 2, 2015

Devotional:

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.John 6:29 (NASB)

Do you believe in Jesus? Do you really believe? Shortly after Max Lucado came back from his mission work in Rio, Brazil, he shared with a group of his closest friends that his theology was pretty simple. He didn't have a handle on a lot of the big difficult theological problems that divide folks. But Max said he came to the firm and deep conviction that God loves us and he showed that love by really sending Jesus to live among us, to die for us, and to be raised from the dead so that we could be raised from death, too. This is the work of God — amazingly simple and awesomely powerful.

Prayer:
Holy God, I do believe that Jesus came to earth, died, and was raised from the dead. Please help me show and share that message with those around me looking to find hope and help. Holy Spirit, open my eyes to those around me who are searching and give me courage and sensitivity to share Jesus with them. Father, I want so much to share in your work; please help me as I rededicate myself to it today. In the name of Jesus my Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [fn]the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.James 1:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 3, 2015

Devotional:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is [fn]neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.Galatians 3:28 (NASB)

Wouldn't it be great if we could tear down all the walls that divide us — racial, social, economic, and gender. The apostle Paul spent his entire life trying to do just that: to tear down the walls that divided people by bringing them to Jesus and the cross. There are no positions of superiority or inferiority at the foot of the cross, only a place for those who discover God's might displayed in sacrifice and God's love displayed even when under attack at the hands of human cruelty. While the forces of culture and human selfishness are always finding ways to divide us, we must remember that in Jesus, and only in Jesus, can we be one.

Prayer:
Forgive me, O God, when I have let prejudice and suspicion keep me from fully enjoying fellowship with those whom you have claimed as your children. I pray that my life will be an example of redemption and unity as I seek to love your children as you do. In the name of Jesus, whose dying prayer was for unity I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.Ephesians 6:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 4, 2015

Devotional:

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the [fn]saints, and are of God’s household,Ephesians 2:19 (NASB)

Those of us who have been Christians a long time sometimes forget that we have no claim or right to the grace we have received. When we feel we deserve it, that it is ours by right, it is no longer grace and we no longer live in it. To be a part of God's family is grace. For the Holy One who spoke into existence the universe (in which we are a submicroscopic speck), grace is simply and magnificently a gift from the One who knows how to share and love in ways we can't even imagine.

Prayer:
For the incredible and boundless love you have given to me, O Almighty God, I can only fall to my knees and thank you. Your power is beyond my comprehension. Your awesome holiness is beyond my understanding. Yet your infinite grace is mine because of your love which cost you so much. Thank you. A million times over I say it, "Thank you!" In the name of Jesus my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,Hebrew 12:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 5, 2015

Devotional:

Come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.Psalm 95:6-7 (NASB)

Worship is more than our heart, soul and words offered to God. It also involves our posture. When we understand the grace God has given us to be called his children, what else can we do but bow down or kneel before him in his majesty and might. We come to him, a conquering ruler, offering ourselves in full submission. God chooses, however, to treat us tenderly like a loving shepherd who longs to care for us. Such grace leads us to bow and kneel in heartfelt worship.

Prayer:
Shepherd of my soul, I come to you seeking your protection and rest as one of your sheep. I often find myself harried and driven by life's pressures and temptations. But I come to you submitting myself to be used for your glory — not just today, but for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, “Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them.”Revelation 14:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 6, 2015

Devotional:

Train up a child [fn]in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.Proverbs 22:6 (NASB)

Children don't need to be taught; they need to be trained. Life is not just about intellectual lessons and information. It is about integrating truth into the fabric of our daily lives. God calls us to move our children and their training up on the list of our priorities because our children are forever, while most of the other things we invest our time in are temporary.

Prayer:
Great and Holy Counselor, help me as I seek to know the best thing to do with my children to share your love and your truth with them. I want them to know and love you more perfectly than I do. Give me wisdom and courage to make wise decisions and the tenderness to implement them in my family's life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Do not judge so that you will not be judged.“For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and [fn]by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.Matthew 7:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 8, 2015

Devotional:

The earth is full of Your lovingkindness, O LORD: Teach me Your statutes.Psalm 119:64 (NASB)

Sometimes we get so caught up in the wonders of God's creation and the marvelous blessings of his grace we forget to ask him to teach us his truth. Let's not only worship him in awe for his majestic creation, but let's also worship him by learning his will and seeking to live it in our daily lives.

Prayer:
Holy and Precious Father, teach me your truth. Lead me to your will. Guide me in your wisdom. I want my life and my choices to be a reflection of your plan for me when you made me new in my mother's womb. In the name of Jesus I ask these things. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak andslow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.James 1:19-20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 9, 2015

Devotional:

Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, Who leads you in the way you should go.Isaiah 48:17 (NASB)

I sometimes long for the pillar of fire at night and the cloud by day to guide me as I make my way through this world, like the Israelites had during their wilderness wanderings. But I am reminded of God's abiding presence in the Spirit and his promise to never forsake me. I believe that if I seek his glory he will get me where I need to be to do his will and bless me in the ways that most benefit me in this life and the next.

Prayer:
O heavenly Father, guide me to the places you want me to be, to the ministries in which you want me to serve, and to the people you most want me to touch. Capture my heart to do your work and never let me lose sight of your coming glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
“BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED. Romans 4:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 10, 2015

Devotional:

[fn]Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the [fn]treasure which has been entrusted to you. 2 Timothy 1:13-14 (NASB)

We live in a world of keys, locks, alarms, and security systems. Paul's words shouldn't come as a surprise to us. We protect the things that are most valuable to us. What is more precious to us than the truth of God's saving grace in the Gospel. Thankfully, God has pre-wired all of us with a security system to help protect that incredibly precious hope. This security system lives in us. It is the Holy Spirit.

Prayer:
Help me, O God, to not compromise your truth to legalism or license. I want to live, and show others how to live, a holy life. I want to share your grace and mercy with them. But most of all Father, I want them to join with me in welcoming Jesus when he returns. Please empower me by your Spirit to see through falsehood and error so I can protect and live your truth. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The poor man and the oppressor [fn]have this in common: The LORD gives light to the eyes of both.Proverbs 29:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 11, 2015

Devotional:

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “[fn]Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you [fn]always, even to the end of the age.”Matthew 28:18-20 (NASB)

Last words! The last words of a parent to a child leaving for college... The last words of a loved one at the bedside of someone dying... The last words of a friend before moving to a distant place... These last words are chosen with care because they leave a lasting impact. Jesus' last words are our marching orders. "Go make disciples of all peoples! To do this," he emphasized, "you must go where they are, baptize them, and then teach them to do what I taught you to do." The words are not hard to understand, so what are we doing about obeying those last commands?

Prayer:
Father from whom all peoples derive their hope, use your Spirit to rouse within me a passion to share your grace with others. Nudge me out of my safety zone and call me into your empowering and sacrificial grace so that I can help others come to know you. In the saving name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.2 Corinthians 7:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 12, 2015

Devotional:

Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.John 14:23 (NASB)

At many Christian funerals, the preacher emphasizes how Jesus has left to make a place ready for us to join him in heaven. Then he is going to come back for us. But just a few verses later, Jesus adds this promise. He's telling us that until we can come be with him at his place, he will come live with us here in our hearts. It all hinges on one thing, our willingness to obey him. Not a bad deal, is it? So let's not let obedience be a forgotten word in our lifestyle!

Prayer:
Holy God, I know Jesus came to earth and obeyed your will. Give me discernment so that my obedience will not simply be the obedience of your words, but a longing to live according to you will. I long to honor you because you have done so much to save me. Thank you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
More than that, I count all things to be loss [fn]in view of the surpassing value of [fn]knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, [fn]for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,Philippians 3:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 13, 2015

Devotional:

We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man [fn]with all wisdom, so that we may present every man [fn]complete in Christ.Colossians 1:28 (NASB)

Our goal as Christians is not to obey some law, to adhere to some set of rules, or even be followers of some discipline. Our goal as Christians is to be conformed to the character and ministry of Jesus. This is the Spirit's work in us (2 Cor. 3:18) as Paul makes clear here and in other places (Galatians 4:19), this is his goal in working with others. Shouldn't this be our work as parents, friends, and spiritual mentors, too?

Prayer:
Holy Lord, conform my heart, my words, my life, my ministry, and my actions to those of Jesus. I want him to be my Lord, not just in my words but also in my life. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.Matthew 5:10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 15, 2015

Devotional:

Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level [fn]ground.Psalm 143:10 (NASB)

We want the Spirit to be at work in us to make us like Jesus. For this to happen, we must open our hearts to the will of God. There are no greater words God wants to hear than "teach me to do your will." That is what it means for him to be God, to have control over our lives and our wills.

Prayer:
Almighty God, I want you to truly be God in my life. I renounce any attempt on my part to try to manipulate or use your grace and kindness for my benefit. I submit my will to yours. But Holy Father, I confess that I struggle at times with my own selfish and evil desires that lead me astray. Please forgive me when my heart is cold and my ears are deaf to your will. Please, take control of my life today. Through Jesus my Lord, and in his name, I ask you to assert your will as God in my life. Amen.

Wisdom:
“And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who [fn]eeds the words of the prophecy of this book.”Revelation 22:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 16, 2015

Devotional:

Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in [fn]perseverance.Titus 2:2 (NASB)

Worthy of respect! What a goal for our lives whether we are men or women! Don't you want your life to reflect the character of God because our faith expresses itself in a life of self-control and godliness? This work of the Spirit in our lives happens only as we dedicate ourselves to being what he is at work trying to accomplish in us.

Prayer:
Father, please strengthen me through your Spirit so that I may gain better control of my passions, my speech, my example, and my habits. Help me put to death the things that would rob me of my spiritual passion and my influence for good to those who do not know Jesus. Make my faith stronger as I try to lovingly treat others and persevere in faith through difficult times. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven [fn]you.Ephesians 4:32 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 17, 2015

Devotional:

Even to yourold age I [fn]will be the same, And even to your [fn]graying years I will bear you I have [fn]done itand I will carry you, And I will bear youand I will deliver you. Isaiah 46:4 (NASB)

God will not forget us when we're in trouble or when we are old. We may outlive our friends and be forgotten by those who know us, but God will never leave us or forsake us. He will sustain, carry, protect, and rescue us.

Prayer:
Thank you, my Father, for promising to never forget me. Because of your faithfulness to your children of old, I know I can trust your promise to never leave me. I trust that no matter where I am or where I go, you will go with me. In Jesus' name I offer my heartfelt thanks. Amen.

Wisdom:
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.”[fn]Yet you do not know [fn]what your life will be like tomorrow. You are justa vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. [fn]Instead, you oughtto say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”James 4:13-15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 18, 2015

Devotional:

A Song of Ascents. I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come? My help comesfrom the LORD. Who made heaven and earth.Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

In a world of startling beauty and a universe of dazzling diversity, our hearts are to be drawn back to the One who made it and now sustains it. He knows us and will help us if we will but believe what he has tried so many ways to say: "I love you as my child and I deeply care what happens to you and those you love."

Prayer:
Almighty Creator, Majestic Architect and Eternal Engineer, it absolutely bewilders and delights me to know that you care for me. With all the things of such vast importance, I find your desire to know and love me humbling and assuring. Today I will worship, work, and witness, aware of your presence and care. Thank you, dear Father, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The glory of young men is their strength, And the [fn]honor of old men is their gray hair.Proverbs 20:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 19, 2015

Devotional:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4 (NASB)

Joy is found in the Lord, not in things. Joy is found in knowing that he always accompanies, sustains, helps, protects, and upholds me. How can I not rejoice? God loves me so much that he emptied heaven of his greatest treasure so that I could join him in glory. Joy is mine because of his grace.

Prayer:
Precious Father, thank you for always being there and knowing what is on my heart and caring for me in ways that I cannot even imagine. I long to know you face to face and share in the unbridled joy of heaven with you. Until then, I truly rejoice because I know my future is in your hands! Thank you in the name of Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Actas free men, and [fn]do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use itas bondslaves of God.1 Peter 2:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 20, 2015

Devotional:

[fn]To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit;1 Peter 3:8 (NASB)

Unity and harmony are no accident! They happen because of intention and submission. But more than just states of being, they are commanded by God. How do we have unity and harmony? Peter reminds we must have three commitments in our "church" lifestyle — 1) actively share the sorrows and concerns of those who grieve; 2) love each other just like a healthy family loves and values each member; and 3) show compassion rather than arrogance as we deal with the failures of others that hurt us, recognizing that we are vulnerable to sinning and hurting those we love, too.

Prayer:
Father, I confess that I have let my own over-sensitive self be wounded and have reacted with pettiness when my brothers and sisters in Christ have not treated me as I felt I deserved. I know Jesus was treated so rudely and shamefully by those he created and so I shouldn't be surprised when things don't always go well for me. But Father, please help me to know when to challenge those who wound me with a loving confrontation and when to just ignore the barb and find a way to minister to them because of some deeper wound has crippled them in their life. Father, let me be an instrument of your peace, harmony, grace, and unity. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.Psalm 103:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 22, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any [fn]affection and compassion, make my joy complete [fn]by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.Philippians 2:1-2 (NASB)

Our call to sacrificially submit ourselves to others does not begin with our sacrifice, but with God's blessings. The actual grammatical construction of this statement is more accurately translated when all the "if"s changed to "since"s! We are called to unity in spirit and purpose after having received all these blessings from being in Jesus! We are encouraged by being united with Christ. We are comforted by his love. We do share in fellowship with the Holy Spirit. We have received tenderness and compassion. So how can we not share those with our Christian family and find a way to live together in his Kingdom in harmony?

Prayer:
Holy and righteous Father, you have blessed me so richly in Jesus. Open my eyes to see how those around me in my spiritual family need to receive those same blessings from me. In the name of Jesus, and because of the grace he has lavished upon me, I pray with thanksgiving in my heart. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and [fn]heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.Revelation 1:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 23, 2015

Devotional:

We have come to know and have believed the love which God has [fn]for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.1 John 4:16 (NASB)

How do you know God is at home in your heart? You know when you are doing loving things to bless the lives of others! Just as we trust and rely on God's constant love for us, our brothers and sisters in Christ need love demonstrated to them, too!

Prayer:
Loving God and Almighty Father, fill me with your Spirit so I can be more loving to my family, my friends, and those whom you place in my path so they can learn about Jesus and his love. In the name of my gracious Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,Ephesians 4:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 24, 2015

Devotional:

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.James 3:13 (NASB)

The character of a loving and humble lifestyle shows who is truly wise. It is so easy for people to act arrogantly yet in the Lord's eyes they are worse than silly; they are woefully ignorant. Wisdom is not about flaunting knowledge but about living a godly life. Which more closely resembles you to in your walk with Jesus — wisdom expressed through an humble and loving lifestyle or smart aleck with feelings of superiority and arrogance?

Prayer:
Loving Shepherd, I know you have been a wise and loving Father to me. Help me share the care that you have lavished on me with the person who most needs it today. Please protect me from arrogance and feelings of superiority, and gently humble me in the ways that make me a more useful tool in your hands. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but [fn]your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment. James 5:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 25, 2015

Devotional:

for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of LightEphesians 5:8 (NASB)

Before and after — that's the story of grace. "I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see." If we could only fully grasp what we so easily sing then life would be filled with more grace and our churches with more confident servants of God.

Prayer:
Lord God Almighty, by your grace I know today that I stand before you welcomed into your presence and received as a beloved child. Thank you for rescuing me from all the traps of the darkness and bringing me into your light. Guide my heart and my feet so they will walk your path and show forth your light. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Make sure thatyour character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU.” Hebrews 13:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 26, 2015

Devotional:

Do nothing [fn]from [fn]selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merelylook out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.Philippians 2:3-4 (NASB)

Do you remember one of the earliest questions in the Bible? "Where is your brother Abel?" To which Cain responded: "Am I my brother's keeper?" Paul's answer is a clear and undeniable yes! We must look to the interest of others and not just our own.

Prayer:
Father, teach me to love your family as you do. I get so caught up and distracted with my own world and my own problems that I forget to notice those who are hurting around me. Help me to grow more aware and more attuned to those needs so you may minister through me. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Truthful lips will be established forever, But a lying tongue is only for a moment.Proverbs 12:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 27, 2015

Devotional:

Let no [fn]wholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a wordas is good for edification [fn]according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.Ephesians 4:29 (NASB)

The goal in Christian communication is not just clarity. The goal is not just to be understood. The goal is not just to be truthful. The goal is to be appropriate, encouraging, and building up others based on what the needs of the other person are.

Prayer:
Tender Shepherd, give me a heart that is pure so that my words may be pure. Give me a heart that is kind so that my words may be kind. Give me a heart that is full of joy and encouragement so that I may share these with those you bring to my path and with whom I share conversation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The world is passing away, and alsoits lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.1 John 2:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 29, 2015

Devotional:

So rejoice, O sons of Zion, And be glad in the LORD your God; For He has given you [fn]the early rain for yourvindication. And He has poured down for you the rain, The [fn]early and [fn]atter rain [fn]as before.Joel 2:23 (NASB)

"The prayers go up and the blessings come down..." The words to this children's song are only half right, because God sends his blessings many times even when we don't pray. But just as we love the special smell that comes with a drought breaking rain, God loves the aroma of his children's joy, especially when he is the source of its delight!

Prayer:
Holy God and tender Father, you are my great delight. When all others fail, you are still God. You are my rock and fortress, you are my tender shepherd, and you are my solid mountain that cannot be shaken or moved. Your blessings and grace shower down upon me and fill me with joy. I can't wait for the day I get to see you face to face and delight in your presence forever. Until then, I will rejoice in anticipation. In Jesus' glorious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;2 Corinthians 2:15-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 30, 2015

Devotional:

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.2 Corinthians 13:14 (NASB)

I have a friend in Jesus who has taught me the power of sharing a spiritual blessing with others. I can't think of a better one than the short blessing in today's verse! Grace, love, and fellowship — all rooted in the eternal, sacrificial, and gracious nature of our God. We share these blessings with God's children all around the world.

Prayer:
Father, I am thinking of several precious friends who need the richness of this blessing to fall upon them. Please bless them richly and graciously. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
“[fn]Blessed are the [fn]poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.Matthew 5:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 1, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted [fn]is to the glory of God.Romans 15:7 (NASB)

I hate racism and exclusivity. But my loathing does not match God's revulsion at these things. On the other hand, we can anticipate the choir of heaven (see Revelation 7:9ff.) if we will accept one another in Jesus and not let race, language, culture, or suspicion keep us from loving each other as we have already been loved by the Saviour.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, I pray that we will let your Spirit and your grace help us tear down any wall that divides your people based on race or culture or privilege. Teach us, teach me, to love all peoples in the way you do. In the name of Jesus, who died for all people everywhere, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed are the people who are so situated; How blessed are the people whose God is the LORD! Psalm 144:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 2, 2015

Devotional:

And not only this, but [fn]we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;Romans 5:3-4 (NASB)

I remember the old Corrie ten Boom phrase, "Thank God for the fleas." The fleas kept the German soldiers out of the barracks in the Jewish concentration camp where she was imprisoned. This allowed her to minister and visit with those who were being persecuted. There she could show and share Jesus. Even in the worst of suffering, God can bring blessings through those who know that life's goal is character, not comfort.

Prayer:
Mighty God, I confess that I get impatient and frustrated with difficulty, pain, and suffering. Please give me more compassion and a better listening to ear, so that I may bless those who need your love and grace. Give me the strength to find joy in the difficulties of breaking through the barriers Satan places in the way to keep others from the Jesus. In the Savior's name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]Ask, and it will be given to you;[fn]seek, and you will find [fn]knock, and it will be opened to you. “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 (NASB)