Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
December 21, 2013

Devotional:

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 (NASB)

We are not just saved by grace from death, we are saved by grace for God's glory. He has remade us. We are his craftsmanship, his artistry, and he longs to display his goodness and grace through our actions and words.

Prayer:
O LORD, Creator and Sustainer of all things, please do your creative work in me, making me into a useful tool for your service. Please use my influence, and your abilities fashioned in me, to bless my family, my friends, and those around me that need to more fully know your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are [fn]bold as a lion. Proverbs 28:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 23, 2013

Devotional:
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and [fn]forever. Amen. Jude 24-25 (NASB)
Two things I trust implicitly: 1) God's power and might, and 2) my joy at getting to share in his presence. My best efforts will always fall short, but God's grace is greater and more glorious than my best efforts! The faultlessness that I have when I stand before him is based on his grace and mercy. How can I not praise him from a thankful heart and anticipate seeing him face to face in glory?
Prayer:
Father, you are gracious, you are glorious, and you alone are God! I praise you for what you have done in my life through your transforming Spirit. Please strengthen me and keep me in your care. I am confident about my salvation because of your greatness and grace. Fulfill your purposes in me and bring me to your throne of glory with great joy. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The beginning of strife is like letting out water, So abandon the quarrel before it breaks out. Proverbs 17:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 24, 2013

Devotional:

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; Luke 2:10 (NASB)

Don't be afraid! What can cast away all fear in the presence of God's glorious messengers? The joy of knowing that God has come to earth to bring an end to sin and Satan's curse and to bring salvation to all people! Fear must not master our hearts when we know that God has broken through every barrier to reach us with his overwhelming grace.

Prayer:
I praise you, Almighty God, for the gift of joy that chases away all fear. Fill my heart with that joy and fill my mind with wonder as I try to comprehend your love for me. Stir me to greater concern for those who have not heard, or who have not yet accepted, your offer of grace in your Son Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring forth. Proverbs 27:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 25, 2013

Devotional:
for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is [fn]Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11 (NASB)

Look at all this verse tells us. Jesus is a descendant of David, the eternal king of promise. He is Savior of all peoples. He is Christ, the Messiah, the promised hope of Israel. He is Lord, ruler of all creation and master of our lives. The real question is whether we have decided that Jesus means all those things to us today. If he is not your Savior today, why not let him be? And if he is, then with whom do you need to share his grace?

Prayer:
Father, I praise you for sending Jesus to me as my Lord and Savior. Help me as I seek to share your grace and his story with those I love. Please bless the following people with whom I want to share the story of Jesus... In the precious name of the Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep. Psalm 121:2-4 (NASB)

avi1derful

Thanks Baddison for your consistency in keeping up with this thread. I hope you have a merry Christmas and a blessed new year!

baddison

natural for good
December 26, 2013

Devotional:

But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; Acts 16:25 (NASB)

Falsely imprisoned, Paul and Silas had been beaten "with many blows," placed in prison, and locked down in stocks. Under such horrible circumstances, they managed to praise God in hymns and pray to their Father in Heaven. Under this kind of pressure, their faith caught the attention of the other prisoners who listened to them. We need to be reminded that over the years of Christian witness, some of the most effective times of evangelism happened because Christians remained faithful and joyous people despite persecution and harassment. Nothing should limit our prayer and praise. God will use them to reach the hearts of those in the most difficult of places!

Prayer:
Holy Father, in times of adverse reaction against me because of my faith, I pray that you will make me a loving, respected, and forceful witness for Jesus. I ask this not so that I can boast, but so that others can more fully know your grace and come to Jesus to be saved. In the name of my Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his [fn]life. Proverbs 16:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 27, 2013

Devotional:

‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 (NASB)

God wants us to seek him. In fact, he made us to seek him! Unfortunately, however, we often seek God along with the other things that draw our eye for a moment or two. We must never let anything detract from God having first command of our heart. Only God is worthy of our full devotion.

Prayer:
Righteous God and Holy Father, please bless me with an undivided heart, one that seeks you as the first and ordering priority of my life. Forgive me, dear Lord, for letting other things distract my focus from you and interfere with my service to your Kingdom. Fill me with a holy passion for Kingdom matters above all other concerns and interests. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The wicked earns deceptive wages, But he who sows righteousness gets a true reward. Proverbs 11:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 28, 2013

Devotional:

‘Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’ Jeremiah 33:3 (NASB)

This was originally spoken to Jeremiah about the fate of Jerusalem. However, this promise is true in special ways for us as well. God wants us to call to him. God often waits for us to ask before he blesses us what he longs to give us. Yet we lack the ability to comprehend and receive all the great truth about God. He is simply too big and too glorious for us to fully apprehend him in his grace.

Prayer:
Father and Almighty God, you are breath-taking and beyond my ability to comprehend. Dear Father, please bewilder the world by coming on a day everyone least expects it. I do long to know you better, dear Father. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered. Proverbs 28:26 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 30, 2013

Devotional:

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power. Isaiah 40:28-29 (NASB)

God is eternal. He has unlimited power. His supply of strength is limitless. He blesses and shares his grace without growing tired. Most importantly, he longs to share his power and grace with us daily.

Prayer:
Almighty and eternal God, loving and generous in your mercy, thank you for giving me strength in my weariness, guidance in my confusion, and hope in my despair. Please bless me with courage to follow your will and trust in your presence through the Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A fool [fn]always loses his temper, But a wise man holds it back. Proverbs 29:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 31, 2013

Devotional:

Open your mouth for the mute, For the [fn]rights of all the [fn]unfortunate. Proverbs 31:8 (NASB)

Christians in every era are called to defend the rights of the weak, speak up for the disenfranchised, and protect the life of those who are vulnerable. This comprehensive call is the great reminder that the blessings, rights, wealth, and power we may have is not ours alone; it is a gift from God to be used to bless those who have no power to speak, to defend, or to protect themselves.

Prayer:
Father, rouse in your people, rouse in me, a passion to stand up for those who are vulnerable to abuse, to abandonment, and to attack. Please use us, and especially Father, please use me, to be a redemptive force in the time and the circle of influence in which I live. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who walks blamelessly will be delivered, But he who is [fn]crooked will fall all at once. Proverbs 28:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 1, 2014

Devotional:

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, [fn]he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NASB)

We all like "do-overs" or second chances. God does much better than that! He allows us to become new again. Being the "God of new things" he can even make us new. Beyond forgiveness, beyond cleansing, he makes us holy through Jesus. Let's use the opportunity of a New Year as a springboard for living a life fresh and new and alive for God!

Prayer:
O LORD, thank you for a New Year and a fresh start. Please give me wisdom and strength to serve you with integrity and faithfulness in this coming year. I pray that your work be done in my life as I offer myself, my plans, and my future to you. I pray this through Jesus my intercessor and Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [fn]He was in the beginning with God. John 1:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 2, 2014

Devotional:

If we live by the Spirit, let us also [fn]walk by the Spirit. Galatians 5:25 (NASB)

It is one thing to talk about being filled with the Spirit; it is quite another to live under the Spirit's control and direction in our life. Paul is reminding us that we must do more than talk the talk; we must walk the walk. The Holy Spirit must guide our decisions, determine our morality, and control our speech. His fruit -- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control -- must be in evidence. Paul says to Christians filled with the Spirit, "Live like it!"

Prayer:
Holy God, thank you for your gift of your Spirit, who is alive in me. May your Spirit guide my thoughts and mold me to be like Jesus in words and deeds. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with [fn]a whole heart and a willing [fn]mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever. 1 Chronicles 28:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 3, 2014

Devotional:

“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [fn]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. Galatians 2:20 (NASB)

Christianity is all about dying to ourselves. Some see this as hideous, onerous, and weak. "Why give up your desires, wants, and longings for something someone else mandates?" they wonder. "That sounds like slavery!" they charge. However, they fail to realize that surrendering our wills to Christ is like a bird surrendering to air currents or a fish to the water. When we surrender to the Lord, he gives us the power to be what we were made to be -- enabled to be useful in ways that are eternal, empowered to have life not limited by mortal boundaries, and blessed by communion with the Creator as our Father. What is lost in this surrender to Christ living in us? Only our selfishness and our self-damage caused by rebellion.

Prayer:
Holy Father, I thank you for your work in my life through Jesus. As you remake me to be more like your Son and my Savior, I trust that you will use me in ways far grander than I can imagine. Please take my heart and cleanse it thoroughly. Please take my life and use it mightily. Please expand my thoughts and help me dream more majestically. May all of this be empowered by your Son's life in me, and may all I do, dream, and desire be for your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Behold, how happy is the man whom God reproves, So do not despise the discipline of [fn]the Almighty. Job 5:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 4, 2014

Devotional:

Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who [fn]wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will [fn]mount up with [fn]wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:30-31 (NASB)

What is your strength? Is it your youth? ...your conditioning? ...your wisdom? ...your friends? ...your experience? None of us can depend upon our human ability. Health, wisdom, and wealth are all vulnerable to the fragility of life and circumstance. Only the LORD can ensure that we can survive the unthinkable, thrive in the mundane, and soar in good times. Let's call upon, let's wait upon, let's depend upon the LORD!

Prayer:
O LORD, thank you for sustaining me through the hard times in my life. Thank you for helping me soar, doing things for you that I never dreamed I could accomplish. Father, thank you for blessing me during the everyday comings and goings of life. I depend upon you for help and strength. For every good thing in my life I praise you and thank you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing. Psalm 34:10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 6, 2013

Devotional:

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? Romans 6:1 (NASB)

Grace doesn't mean that we are sloppy with sin. We have died to sin when we surrendered our lives to the Lordship of Christ. We don't want sin, or its power, to have control over us. We don't want to take lightly the awful cost Jesus paid to cover our sin. The apostle Paul uses the strongest language possible ("By no means!" is way too tame a translation: "God forbid!" "Unthinkable!" "Abomination!" would all be much more accurate.) As those saved by grace, we realize that sin is more than spurning the will of God or breaking a divine command; sin is making light of Jesus' sacrifice for us, sin is rebelling against the Father who paid such a high price to adopt us into his family, and sin is breaking our Father's heart to chose our own self-destructive path.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for your incomparable generous grace lavished upon me through Jesus' death on the Cross and the salvation that I have received through him. Please make my own sin abhorrent to me. Give me a passion for holiness and a deeper appreciation of what it cost you to make me holy. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Hear, my son, your father’s instruction And do not forsake your mother’s teaching; Proverbs 1:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 7, 2013

Devotional:

Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 (NASB)

This is just another way of saying, "Love your neighbor as yourself!" Jesus came to bear our burdens and carry away the stain and pain of our sin. (Read Isiah 53 for a powerful description of God's Suffering Servant, a passage quoted in the New Testament in reference to Jesus.) He now asks us to live redemptively, in practical ways, toward those around us. More than just praying, or asking what we can do to help, we are called to serve, minister, and assist others who are burdened.

Prayer:
Holy and merciful God, please give me eyes to see, a heart willing to serve, and hands ready to help the people in my path that need a burden lifted. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
‘You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 8, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3 (NASB)

The real question behind this promise is very simple: How do I define success for my plans? The answer is very simple as well: bringing glory to God for his grace (see Eph. 1:6, 12, 14). Committing our works and plans to God means surrendering them to God's will (James 4:13-15), trusting that God will be glorified in them (Col. 3:17), and recognizing that it is not in our power to properly guide our own steps (Prov. 16:9). God longs to bless us and empower us -- not for our own selfish ambition (James 3:16), but for our eternal good (Rom. 8:28) and God's glory. Like Jesus, when we commit our plans and works to the Lord, we are saying, "Not my will, Father, but yours be done!"

Prayer:
Father, I want your will to be my plans. I want your glory to be my goal. I have things that I want to do. However, if these plans are not for your glory, if these plans are not a blessing to my family or those over whom I have influence, then please defeat me in those plans and please guide me into other areas of blessing. I want you to be glorified in what I do. I want to go where your grace leads. I commit my ways, my plans, and my works to you and to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than [fn]to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. Matthew 18:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 9, 2014

Devotional:

Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. Romans 6:3-4 (NASB)

Baptism is far more than getting wet or checking off another thing on our obedience to do list. You see, what saves is Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection (1 Cor. 15:1-5). God has given us the incredible grace (Rom. 6:1, 14, 15) of being able to share in Jesus' saving work through faith and experience it in baptism (Gal. 3:26-27). We die to the old way of life and bury it in the past. It no longer holds us. This death is the death that matters most. Raised to a new life, our life is now joined to Christ and his future becomes our own (cf. Col. 3:1-4). The life we now live is to glorify God and to live with him forever. That means the Gospel is not just something preached; it is something we experience by grace.

Prayer:
Thank you Father, for raising me from death to your new life for me in Jesus. Thank you for your grace in sending Jesus. Thank for your grace in making Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection something I have experienced. May my life reflect your powerful grace given to me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are you, O Israel; Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD, Who is the shield of your help And the sword of your majesty! So your enemies will cringe before you, And you will tread upon their high places.” Deuteronomy 33:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 10, 2014

Devotional:

Who satisfies your [fn]years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle. Psalm 103:5 (NASB)

God is a God of renewal and blessing. His desire to renew and bless us is not just a desire to bless us once with our salvation. God desires to bless us daily. His steadfast love is new every morning as he faithfully pours out his blessings (cf. Lam. 3:23). But more than just giving us what we want, he satisfies us with good things. He brings us what we need and what truly fills our emptiness.

Prayer:
Abba Father, Almighty God, I praise you for your power, majesty, glory, faithfulness, mercy, wisdom, and grace. Thank you for blessing me with your salvation, the gift of your Holy Spirit, the blessings of your church family, the promise of a home with you, and for the daily assurance of your renewing presence. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Know that the LORD [fn]Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and [fn]not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 11, 2014

Devotional:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NASB)

Trust. It can't be half-hearted. Either it is full trust or it is clouded with suspicion. So as we face the everyday challenges of life, or as we look for answers in deep and difficult problems, let's put our full trust in the LORD. Let's ask for his wisdom and guidance as we make our choices. Let's give him praise for the good in our life and seek his blessing for the days ahead. Why? Because he longs to bless us with life, both now, and forevermore.

Prayer:
O LORD, my Lord, I place my trust in you. Please guide my steps as I seek to bring you glory. Help me in the decisions I face. Give me discernment as I seek to influence others and to share your grace with them. Give me the right words to say so that I can have a redemptive influence on my family, with my friends, and among my co-workers. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various [fn]trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces [fn]endurance. James 1:2-3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 13, 2014

Devotional:

[fn]Ask, and it will be given to you; [fn]seek, and you will find; [fn]knock, and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7 (NASB)

God wants us to seek his blessings. This is not because he wants to manipulate our lives, but because he longs to bless us and have us know the gifts in our lives come from him. So let's seek his presence, his grace, and his blessing.

Prayer:
Dear Father, I do need your blessing and guidance. Please bless me in several areas that weigh heavily on my heart... (share with God some things that are on your heart). In addition, dear Father, I need your wisdom in the following matters... Finally, dear God, please make your presence in my life very clear to me this week. I don't doubt your love for me, but I really do need to be reassured of your nearness as I face the challenges that lie before me at this time. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
As [fn]obedient children, do not [fn]be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but [fn]like the Holy One who called you, [fn]be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.” 1 Peter 1:14-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 14, 2014

Devotional:

He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love [fn]kindness, And to walk [fn]humbly with your God? Micah 6:8 (NASB)

Sometimes what we need to do is very simple and plain, isn't it? I need to handle those around me justly -- practicing patience and dealing with others in fairness, without partiality. I need to practice mercy -- blessing others in need with what they don't deserve but so greatly need. I need to walk humbly with my Abba Father -- knowing that without his grace and help I will fail.

Prayer:
Father, please make of me what you will. As you fashion me, please bless me as I seek to be a person of justice, mercy, and humility. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good

January 15, 2014

Devotional:
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 (NASB)

Confessing our sins means that we view our sin the same way that God does -- the same revulsion and disdain for them. This kind of confession opens our hearts to the flood of heaven's grace (see Psalm 51). God shares with us the sweet liberation from sin that Jesus purchased at Calvary; our sins are not only forgiven, but we are purified. We are no longer sinners and the stain of that sin is removed as well. We are clean, perfect, and without spot because of God's purifying grace (Col. 1:21-22). Now let's live in a way that is reflective of this incredible gift!

Prayer:
Father, I do confess to you my sins! Please forgive me for... (please verbalize to God specifically your sins) Thank you for letting me be honest with you and share with you my frustration and my sorrow for them. Please liberate me from their power in my life and give me the confidence that you have not only forgiven them, but that you have made me pure and holy. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
So then, [fn]while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. Galatians 6:10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 16, 2014

Devotional:

I will rejoice greatly in the LORD, My soul will exult in my God; For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. Isaiah 61:10 (NASB)

This is God's promise to his people after their Messiah comes with healing and power to bless them with the Lord's favor. In many ways, this is our promise as Christians. We do rejoice greatly because God has delivered us from law, sin, and death through the coming of our Savior and Lord. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, as God's children we are clothed with Christ (Gal. 3:26-27) and given garments of salvation and robes of his righteousness.

Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father, for making me righteous by Jesus' sacrifice. Thank you Lord Jesus, for paying the price for my sins to give me life. Thank you, Holy Spirit, for cleansing me from my sin and empowering me to live for God. May I, dear God, live in such a way that those around me know that you have made me whole and holy. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let your speech always be [fn]with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. Colossians 4:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 17, 2014

Devotional:

‘For I know the plans that I [fn]have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 (NASB)

Jeremiah was telling God's people that 70 years after the devastation, God would deliver and restore them. Despite the fact that they had repeatedly abandoned God, he would not abandon them or his promises to them. He would be faithful. In fact, God was planning and preparing a bright future for them. This promise also reminds us that no matter how deep our own personal gloom may seem, God does have plans for us. He will keep his promises to us. He will deliver and bless us. We can have a vibrant hope and a bright future because of his faithfulness and our trust in his Son, Jesus, who delivers us from every foe.

Prayer:
Give me faith, O Lord, during the times I'm weary, discouraged, and beaten down. Inspire me to trust in your great promises. Please give me courage, O Lord, when my faith wavers. Help me obey your word no matter how challenging it may seem or how discouraged I feel. Thank you for giving me a bright future in Jesus. Please help me live more consciously aware of this great gift. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is the man whose strength is in You, In [fn]whose heart are the highways to Zion! Psalm 84:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 18, 2014

Devotional:

As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:12 (NASB)

Praise and thank God our Father. He doesn't just forgive our sins; he removes them from us completely!

Prayer:
Loving and merciful Father and holy God, thank you for giving me the great gift of forgiveness. Now, dear Lord, please help me to pass it along to others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 1 John 1:5-6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 20, 2014

Devotional:

and do not go on presenting [fn]the members of your body to sin as [fn]instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as [fn]instruments of righteousness to God. Romans 6:13 (NASB)

This long verse boils down to a very simple message: We are to glorify God by what we do with our bodies. We were dead in our sin, but God has made us alive through our participation with Jesus in his saving death, burial, and resurrection. How can we go back to the hideous sins that master us and lead us to death? We shouldn't! We mustn't! And by God's gracious help, we won't. Our commitment to live for his glory and the power of the Holy Spirit will help us live for him!

Prayer:
Father, God of grace, please forgive me for the times in my past when I flirted with sin. I know how much you paid to redeem me from my sin. I know the power of Satan to use sin to entrap and enslave me. Bless me as I commit to live for you, with Jesus as my Lord, and the Spirit empowering me to honor you. In Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The LORD will [fn]protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The LORD will [fn]guard your going out and your coming in From this time forth and forever. Psalm 121:7-8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 21, 2014

Devotional:
Who will separate us from the love of [fn]Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written,
“FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY LONG; WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.” But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. Romans 8:35-37 (NASB)

More than conquerors! What a great phrase. In Christ, this is who we are: more than conquerors. No hardship, enemy, physical disaster, not even death, can separate us from Jesus. Once our lives are joined to Jesus, our future is tied to him (Col. 3:1-4).

Prayer:
Almighty God, I do not know how to thank you enough. Thank you for the confidence I have in Jesus. Thank you for your gift of grace. Thank you for your indwelling Spirit. Thank you for your promises of heaven. Thank you for your love that has saved and remade me. Thank you for assuring me that I will never be alone no matter what I have to face. Most of all, dear LORD, thank you for knowing that nothing that can happen in this world has the power to strip me from Jesus' love. I look forward to forever with you. Thank you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
How lovely on the mountains Are the feet of him who brings good news, Who announces [fn]peace And brings good news of [fn]happiness, Who announces salvation, And says to Zion, “Your God [fn]reigns!” Isaiah 52:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 22, 2014

Devotional:

[fn]Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” James 4:15 (NASB)

While I like to have choices, and I like to be responsible for my own decisions, I am truly thankful that God allows me to submit my life to his will and place my trust in him. The Father is at work in me to do his will (Phil. 2:13) and to work for my best good (Rom. 8:28). I gladly acknowledge that my plans are subject to his will. I am appreciative that my goals and successes are in his hands. I gladly proclaim that what lies ahead for me can be summarized by one phrase: "If the Lord wills!"

Prayer:
Thank you, Abba Father, that my life and my future are in your hands. Forgive me for the times that my plans are too full of myself and not consciously dependent upon you. Thank you for rescuing me from the messes I have made because of my failed plans built around my own foolish arrogance. Dear Father, I gladly place my plans, my life, and my future in submission to your will. In Jesus' holy name, and by his power, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. Deuteronomy 4:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 23, 2014

Devotional:
Thus says the LORD, “Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths,
Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’ Jeremiah 6:16 (NASB)

Temptation is a choice between the old path (God's will for us) and a new path provided by Satan. So often Satan's path is presented to us as a shortcut to happiness, prosperity, and accomplishment. However, this path leads us away from God and the blessings he longs to give us. Let's not be like the people of God in Jeremiah's day who refused God's way and said, "We will not walk in it." The outcome of their choice was their own destruction.

Prayer:
O dear Father, Almighty God, forgive me for turning from your path and seeking a way that seems easier and a path that appears to lead to happiness more quickly. Through your Holy Spirit, help me look through the facades of Satan's temptations and see their bitter end result. I know your way is the way of joy, peace, and rest. Please give me courage to walk it confidently. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. Hebrews 4:13 (NASB)