Daily Deep Conditioning?

HERicane10

With the proper protein and moisture rotation......... do you guys think that DC daily with some type of heat, i.e. steam towel or dryer, could be beneficial OR is it likely to be more damaging?:perplexed The KEY is PROPER PROTEIN & MOISTURE BALANCE! Would it be the equivalent of the whole head baggy for less time, 20 min vs. 8-12 hours?:confused:

What do you think?

Artemis

IMO it's too much, unless you have severly damaged hair...like a double process color and a relaxer and you were trying to keep the hair on your head...Long-term, for fairly healthy hair, I think daily DC is overkill.

Healthb4Length

Ummm...this is a hard one. You make a great point about maintaining proper levels of proteins and moisturization, but given the extremely fragile nature of curly/kinky hair types I think that daily washing and deep treatment may lead to more harm than good. Because of the bends and turns in our hair it is difficult for the natural oils to travel down the shaft, hence our hair tends to be dry. If you want to continually maintain moisture in your hair then you should try using products/techniques that would support moisture/protein levels.

Try looking for supporting ingredients that contain natural oils and humectants such as olive oil, grapeseed oil, shea butter etcs. Baggying overnight is excellent for retaining moisture, also conditioner only washing is another alternative (make sure its a moisturizing conditioner). I would be cautious about using protein daily because although it strengthens your hair it has the tendancy to make it brittle, and brittle hair=breakage. Even if you were to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner after the protein treatment, there is another form of damage to the hair known as "mechanical damage." This damage is from over-manipulating the hair via various styling techniques (braiding, twisting, excessive handling) and frequent washing can cause this. YOu may also want to make sure that the shampoo that you use is very mild and very moisturizing so it doesn't cause further damage. JMO.

Kari107

This may cause your hair to become over moisturized. Your hair may become mushy and too soft which can lead to breakage.

HERicane10

Thanks for your replies ladies. I wouldn't mean that you'd shampoo daily.:eek: More like a DC on dry hair and then rinse. I only shampoo 2-3 times per week with CON.

Just posing a question as to whether the baggy all night was comparable to simply DC daily for a few minutes.

Artemis

Well I am by no means a baggy expert--I'd have to go search on the method itself--but my thought process is that any sort of process that opens up the cuticle over and over will overwork the strands. The hair will swell and rupture (I think that's the word I'm thinking to use)...I believe I have read that some ladies who baggy too often get damage; this is the type of damage they are probably experiencing.

I am probably overanalyzing it, but my hair is very fine and fragile, and when I hear a/b regular baggying, all I can envision is overcooked pasta and over-filled water balloons. Don't ask me why, my brain is just weird like that (I'm working on it :lol: )...

JMO;)

dlewis

Hericanne, your hair is beautiful and in great shape. It's soft, healthy and the color is great. What are you doin?:look:

HERicane10

dlewis said:
Hericanne, your hair is beautiful and in great shape. It's soft, healthy and the color is great. What are you doin?:look:

Hey there D!:look: What you doing in here anyway?:grin: :grin: You know I hold down haircare tips & you got off topic!:lachen: :lachen:

Just a fleeting question, I was reading through the baggy challenge thread & letting my mind absently wander.

Cuz you know....work, school, & kids does not afford me such opportunities as daily DC!:lol: :lol:

Are we still on for tomorrows dusting? Will you bring the cam and take a pic for me?

dlewis

HERicane10 said:
Hey there D!:look: What you doing in here anyway?:grin: :grin: You know I hold down haircare tips & you got off topic!:lachen: :lachen:

Just a fleeting question, I was reading through the baggy challenge thread & letting my mind absently wander.

Cuz you know....work, school, & kids does not afford me such opportunities as daily DC!:lol: :lol:

Are we still on for tomorrows dusting? Will you bring the cam and take a pic for me?

Tom at about 5:30, I'll bring the cam.

IMFOCSD

Bumping! :)

I apply ors replenishing conditioner to my ends nightly & baggy...I have been doing the nightly dc for about a week.

What do you ladies think?

claud-uk

Bumping! :)

I apply ors replenishing conditioner to my ends nightly & baggy...I have been doing the nightly dc for about a week.

What do you ladies think?

That's funny - I just ordered some OR this morning thinking that I'd start lightly bagging my ends with it daily. I haven't used it before but there are so many + reviews on the forum that I thought it was the best thing to use to prepare my hair for my next flat iron. Great minds!

theeREALmccoy

Personally, I have EXTREMELY dry hair so I understand the curiosity. I don't think the daily DC itself would be terribly damaging IF your hair really needs it. IMO what would do more damage is the daily manipulation. But again, that depends on the state of your hair, if you're relaxed or natural, etc. I have type 4-ish hair and if I manipulated my hair and detangled daily I'd get breakage so for me its best to stick to weekly sessions and during the week using products to maintain that moisture.

Just my humble opinion!