CUTTING DOSN'T GET RID OF SPLIT ENDS?

Re: CUTTING DOSN\'T GET RID OF SPLIT ENDS?

i've never been an advocate of frequent trimming as preventative maintenance. so on that part, i agree. when i did trim often, shortly after doing so, my hair would "look" like it was split again anyway. i think it's much more important to address what's causing it.

i kind of agree with the information. however, i don't get many splits, but i also don't deep condition often. for me, it was the overuse of heat appliances and lack of moisture. once i corrected those, trimming all the time was unnecessary...

Well said Adrienne!
smile.gif

ITA!

This theory makes a lot more sense to me, and since split ends are inevitable, there's really no point to trimming on a schedule.

I remember I found a split end at the root of a strand I had shed!
laugh.gif
How in the heezy I'm supposed to cut that?
rofl.gif

I totally agree Adrienne. I remember I used to get LOTS of split ends...like 75% of my head. Then Adrienne pointed scurl out to me...Thank God. My split ends have gone down to less than 5%. I hardly trim nowadays...maybe 1-2x a year. Moisture definitely helps.

Faith your hair is very long , when did u start your hair challenge at 1/2 inch

I've known this for awhile (after reading Howse) I tested it and if you grab a hunk of hair out of maybe 100 hairs 3 maybe split I could'nt understand why people cut off 2 inches all over for a few splits, which I tested and the do not ravel up it splits and breaks.

Now if you cut 2 inches all over it still gonna split some more. It's better to care for you ends so they well be in the best shape possible.

But your never gonna alleviate them, even by cutting. I remember gettin a trim 1/4 I think and the hairs that are shorter like 5 inches long, never get trimmed cause you don't take that much off were'nt split but some were but am I gonna take 5 inches just to get at those? Not me.

Hi nekee,

I started my 1/2" challenge November 20,1999...the day right after my 26th birthday. I thought it was time for a change.

Interesting...so does this means I never have to trim again and Cathy Howse has been right all this time?

[ QUOTE ]
Vitality said:
Interesting...so does this means I never have to trim again and Cathy Howse has been right all this time?

[/ QUOTE ]
scratchchin.gif

I have a hispanic girlfriend that has waist length hair. She shows me her split ends all the time. She doesn't know what causes them and doesnt really care because her hair is absolutely beautiful-split ends and all. So, if people of other races can grow long hair with split ends, we can too. Now, I'm not saying that we should never trim and have ragedy looking uneven hair.... I'm just thinking that triming is not mandatory for growth.

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
I totally agree Adrienne. I remember I used to get LOTS of split ends...like 75% of my head. Then Adrienne pointed scurl out to me...Thank God. My split ends have gone down to less than 5%. I hardly trim nowadays...maybe 1-2x a year. Moisture definitely helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith your hair is gorgeous.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
I have a hispanic girlfriend that has waist length hair. She shows me her split ends all the time. She doesn't know what causes them and doesnt really care because her hair is absolutely beautiful-split ends and all. So, if people of other races can grow long hair with split ends, we can too. Now, I'm not saying that we should never trim and have ragedy looking uneven hair.... I'm just thinking that triming is not mandatory for growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totallly agree
smile.gif
and my girlfriend complains if she is shedding alot also.
smile.gif

i agree, after i read her book some time ago i stopped cutting my ends, i did not find it necessary, after i would get a roller set, my ends would be smooth , and now even with a air dry my ends are looking good so i jst figured if it aint broken why fix it......lol

I don't know. Trimming keeps my hair in check. It allevates knots, makes it easier to fingercomb and keeps it healthy. Maybe it's different for people who wear their hair straight, but since I've been trimming on a 8 week schedule, my hair has grown so much since it's not breaking and snapping off. There is so much information out here on the web that contradicts - you just have to do what works for you. So i'm gonna keep on trimmin'!
laugh.gif

As a natural, I do find it beneficial to CLIP the ends (perhaps an 1/8 inch) every 6 to 8 weeks. I notice that when I don't clip the ends, I get knots and matting. My darling sister just gave me a really good clipping (or dusting, as some of you have referred to it), and my hair looks so much nicer. The ends look fabulous and my hair is much healthier. I would agree that at least dusting or clipping the ends is advantageous.

I am also in agreement that trimming doesn't prevent split ends. I maintained virtually split-free ends all summer long and got some decent growth( 3in). When I went for my latest touch up, I let my stylist do a trim of about 1/2 inch and boy, did it make a difference to me. My hair appears shorter. While I'm a big girl and I'm not gonna cry over it, I still maintain that having a few splits is normal and though it does look nice when a trim is done, it isn't necessary for growth. Your hair won't all fall out w/o a trim. My lil sis is a prime example. She maintains beyond bra strap hair that has splits, but it's still growin'.

I think it will get rid of the split ends. The new ones will develop if you go on to abuse your hair. Some people may take the "i got a trim" thing to being a free pass to put all kinds of heat in their hair. Even if it's only for a week, one week of intense heat is definitely enough to do some damage to your hair, especially the ends.

Back