Curly hair is not sexy?

Tai

I have to vent.
I was trying to decide what to do with my hair for the Hip Hop Summit, which is tomorrow.
I was debating if I should wear my hair straight or curly. It's going to be raining and I also have about 1 1/2 half of newgrowth which will probably curl up once it gets wet and if I sweat while dancing at the afterparty.
I had planned to wear it curly due to those factors but all the women I asked told me to wear it straight, that curly hair isn't sexy.
Since wearing my hair curly, most of my compliments come from men. Women don't tend to say anything until a guy says something or if they're natural/curly, they'll have a compliment.
I was just irritated to hear that my curly hair isn't sexy, especially since a friend who has curly hair herself said it. Just made me feel

lynette

Hey girl why would you ever care what people thought about your curly hair. Do you. If you feel you look good with curly hair go for it. My hair is 25 inches long and I love to put 8 knots in my hair for a curly look. By the way curly hair is very sexy.

Isis

Most men find curly hair very sexy. Spiraling tendrils, waves, curls... men love it. Sounds like some of the women may have been expressing a little bit of jealousy.

Your plan sounds like a great one, especially with all the humidity and your newgrowth.

Ayeshia

Curly hair is sexy!!!!
...shoot I dont care what nobody says!
In fact when I was on Campus last year I got more play from boys/men when I wore Braidouts and textured styles than my hair flat ironed str8. Not saying that str8 hair isnt sexy but i got more attention when i wore my hair this way

Karonica

I love my hair curly as opposed to straight. Any type of curl style will do, I just don't care for how I look with straight hair.

Tai

I knew where to go to get support!
That's why I love you ladies.
I'm wearing it curly. I was annoyed though by the comments. I almost gave in and straightened but I was like no. It's not going to look right straight, not tomorrow especially. I'm going to be cute and sexy while rocking my curls all day long. And I won't have to run for cover if it starts to rain.

Thanks again, ladies, for your support.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Girl please, don't pay those girls any mind. Sometimes your "friends" get jealous when they notice you are getting more attention or doing things/thinking outside the box. I know this from personal experience.

AnjelLuvs

I feel you, but some just cant get that there are other styles n the world, people always ask me why / or what makes me try different styles, but I do it for convience, I do it because I THINK I look good, and lastly, I dont want to look like every other jane on the street.

I got that reaction alot with my braidouts, many see it is as an afrocentric style, but when I was goin to work, the "others" gave me compliments on the style. LOL

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I know. But I don't ever want to think that about my friends, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I understand, it's hard. And I'm a person who is REALLY loyal to my friends. But when I started making moves in my life and growing out my hair, I heard a couple of non-supportive statements. But I'm not one to just abandon ppl, I've distanced myself a little though. I don't know how old you are, when I was younger I would have had more patience but I'm damm near 30 so I don't have time for that mess.

But hang in there, be patient with them and hopefully they are your true friends and will come around and just support you.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I have to vent.
I was trying to decide what to do with my hair for the Hip Hop Summit, which is tomorrow.
I was debating if I should wear my hair straight or curly. It's going to be raining and I also have about 1 1/2 half of newgrowth which will probably curl up once it gets wet and if I sweat while dancing at the afterparty.
I had planned to wear it curly due to those factors but all the women I asked told me to wear it straight, that curly hair isn't sexy.
Since wearing my hair curly, most of my compliments come from men. Women don't tend to say anything until a guy says something or if they're natural/curly, they'll have a compliment.
I was just irritated to hear that my curly hair isn't sexy, especially since a friend who has curly hair herself said it. Just made me feel

[/ QUOTE ]

I think curly short or medium length hair is more on the cute side than the sexy side. I think long curly hair would be sexier.
Hmmm...that can go for straight hair as well. How long is your hair Tai???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
lynette said:
Hey girl why would you ever care what people thought about your curly hair. Do you. If you feel you look good with curly hair go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree

Devi

I can't relate persoanlly, in fact I find it unbelieveable. Both men and women like my curly hair...

But anyways let me just tell you. Curly hair is very sexy. You were just asking the wrong people

sugawooga

CURLY HAIR ISN'T SEXY?!!! WHAT THE @#%^!? Look at Beyonce's video (the one when she's in a champagne glass) she had curly hair in that video and I thought she looked pretty sexy. Any hair style can make you look sexy. I think it's all on how you carry yourself and what you wear that really makes a difference.

CheerHHS

I would LOVE to have curly hair! If I wasn't scared of the big chop I would have texturized a LONG time ago. CardinalFire is a great example of BEAUTIFUL curly hair. Brush ya shoulders off and rock that curly hair.

Tai

I brushed my shoulders off and did me, rocking my curly hair all day long. I was SOOOO happy that I did. It was humid and if it had been straight, it wouldn't have stayed that way for long. Then at the after party, the artists threw water several times on the crowd and I got drenched about 4 times.
My hair turned out to be very cute and very sexy if I say so myself. I even looked good when I was soaking wet, which wouldn't have been the case if I had worn my tresses straight. Thanks again, ladies for that extra vote of confidence!

Falon

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the post yet so I don't know if I am repeating something: It sounds like hate to me. You must be looking sexy enough if your getting compliments from men and not women. I've noticed that when you look TOO good women will keep silent or give you the evil eye a lot of times. Which is a shame but true. And while a lot of men like long hair the fact that you are getting attention proves that generalizations are silly.

IrisDaVirus

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the post yet so I don't know if I am repeating something: It sounds like hate to me. You must be looking sexy enough if your getting compliments from men and not women. I've noticed that when you look TOO good women will keep silent or give you the evil eye a lot of times. Which is a shame but true. And while a lot of men like long hair the fact that you are getting attention proves that generalizations are silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
@Falon
You hit the nail right on the head!

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
IrisDaVirus said:
[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Since wearing my hair curly, most of my compliments come from men. Women don't tend to say anything until a guy says something or if they're
natural/curly, they'll have a compliment.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
@Falon
You hit the nail right on the head!

[/ QUOTE ]

very true

i'm glad you wore your curls!!!!! You probably stood out the most with your look and the other ladies probably don't know how to " curl" you their hair the way you do so they were discouraging you.

You go!!!!
BTW..................Any pictures

msvaye

I am glad you wore your hair curly. I am a detroiter too and to me all you see is straight hair on everybody ~ I bet you look wonderful and stood out in the crowd. DO YOU!!!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
Then at the after party, the artists threw water several times on the crowd and I got drenched about 4 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my relaxed days I would have gone to the salon and paid a mint for a special hairdo for an event like that. Just to have someone throw water on me?

I'm glad you poo poo'd your friends and wore your hair curly. You definitely made the right decision!

Xcellence2

I have a friend who prefers my hair straight but she has commented that straight on curly...guys still look. So at the end of the day I think it is more so what you feel comfortable with. In the summer it is easier to go curly or wavy vs streight for me anyway...so that is what I do. Plus men have told me they love that curly wet and go look.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I brushed my shoulders off and did me, rocking my curly hair all day long. I was SOOOO happy that I did. It was humid and if it had been straight, it wouldn't have stayed that way for long. Then at the after party, the artists threw water several times on the crowd and I got drenched about 4 times.
My hair turned out to be very cute and very sexy if I say so myself. I even looked good when I was soaking wet, which wouldn't have been the case if I had worn my tresses straight. Thanks again, ladies for that extra vote of confidence!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you!