CURLFORMERS-NATURALS

writtenthought

ANY NATURALS USE IT? HOW ARE THE RESULTS. DO YOU GUYS THINK YOU CAN USE IT FOR A ROLLERSET AND THAN WRAP? JUST WONDERING IF THIS WOULD BE A GOOD OPTION FOR NATURALS WHO WANT A STRAIGHT LOOK WITH OUT DIRECT HEAT?

There have been at least two naturals that have used them (if you look at the other curlformers threads, you'll see them). No one with quite my "hair type" though.

I just bought some (the long and narrow mostly and a pack of the extra long and wide). I might try to set them Sunday night.

I want to use them for the same reasons you reference--I'm trying to find an alterative to gaining some length and straightness without direct heat (hood dryer heat is fine).

Hey Sumismommy, I'm curious about this also. I'm 4A natural and I'm on my way to Sally's to get some. I will do a rollerset this weekend and post pics. (if it comes out pretty):look:

Okay Ladies,

I LOVE THESE CURLERS!! :grin::grin:My curls came out smooth and bouncy. I used the Herbal Essence LTR conditioner and leave-in to rolled my hair. I quickly learn to take small sections, because my hair is to thick for the roding thingy. The only thing is I need some kind of hair serum to keep my hair from puffing up after a day. Keep in mine that I'm 4years natural so that's to be expected. As I stated earlier I'm "hair rolling" challenge,so if I can do it anyboy can.(LOL)It didnt take long either!!!!I took some pics on my phone,as soon as I can figure out how to take them off I will post.

Sidenote: When my hair started to puff I put each curl into twists. Which was cool because it gave me crazy hang time. Also I only set under the dryer for 45-55 minutes. (appox. 30 minutes on hot and 15-20 minutes on cool)

Hope This Helps!!!

My fotki is locked but I have old pics in www.fotki.com/sephus3

:wave:HEY PINKSKATES,

I HOPE IT'S WORKS. I CAN'T ROLLERSET AND AS YOU KNOW I WOULD LOVE TO START WEARING MY HAIR STRAIGHT. CAN YOU LADIES POST PICS.

Okay natural ladies, I just returned from Sally's and this is what I bought.
curlfrmr.jpg

The salon kit and 1 package of the long/narrow since they did not come in the kit. My total cost was $76.18. I'll do my rollerset on saturday night since I'm going to a fancy smancy fashion show on sunday and I want my hair looking purty! I'll post pics. I wonder what setting lotionI should use?

Hey Sumismommy, I'm curious about this also. I'm 4A natural and I'm on my way to Sally's to get some. I will do a rollerset this weekend and post pics. (if it comes out pretty):look:

I've tried them. I a natural 4a...The curlformers were great...

I used Jane Carter's Styling Foam:yep:

Originally poste by LadyKpnyc
I've tried them. I a natural 4a...The curlformers were great...

I used Jane Carter's Styling Foam:yep:

Did you sit under the dryer, if yes for how long and on what setting? Thanks.

Originally posted by Dsylla
can't wait to see your pics :)

i'm sure it'll come out very pretty :yep:

Thanks DSylla...I sure hope so!
OT: I'm so glad you're feeling better and are taking charge of your health issues. Take care of yourself and all that gorgeous hair!

Originally posted by LadyKaypnyc
Yes, by the time I was done, the back was mostly dry, so I just sat under the dryer for 10 minutes on high and then 10 minutes on low

Okie dokie...I will do the high/low way too! I've read many times that by doing that it helps to seal the cuticle. Will be trying them this weekend, thanks!
ETA: O-M-G! I didn't know you were the lady from the You Tube video. I just finished watching it. Your video was well down and so informative. I put it on my favorite list. Thank you so much for making it. I never would have thought that I could use these on my 4a natural naps! I'm so excited now. I went to Sallys and bought the salon kit and one package of the long/narrow. You rock for making that video!:yep:

Last edited:
Pinkskates I dont mean to rain on your parade but I think you are going to have to go back and buy more long and narrow or look up the tutorial for using 2 curlformers on extra long hair. I think your hair might be too long and hang out of the bottom of the long and wide. :ohwell:

Originally posted by OAHQ
Pinkskates I dont mean to rain on your parade but I think you are going to have to go back and buy more long and narrow or look up the tutorial for using 2 curlformers on extra long hair. I think your hair might be too long and hang out of the bottom of the long and wide. :ohwell:

Awww man....that sucks but I think you're right Quest. I just finished watching LadyK's video on You Tube and I was the thinking that the short/wide ones wont work on my hair length.:wallbash:

Pinkskates, when you post your results, will you post your technique as well? I'm having trouble with mine and had to cut two of them out of my hair. I must be doing it wrong, or maybe my hair's too thick. *shrug* I bought all long and narrow packs, but my hair didn't go all the way to the end of them.

Originally posted by MissJ
Pinkskates, when you post your results, will you post your technique as well? I'm having trouble with mine and had to cut two of them out of my hair. I must be doing it wrong, or maybe my hair's too thick. *shrug* I bought all long and narrow packs, but my hair didn't go all the way to the end of them.
Will do MissJ...Check out LadyKpnyc's You Tube video on using Curlformers. She is 4a natural and her set came out beautifully. But I will definitely show step by step pics when I post.

are you the girl from youtube?

I didn't know you were a member here.

Yeah, I joined this forum in january, lol:yep:

Aw, thanks everyone for watching the video. I did have to cut two curlformers out of my head, I didn't show it b/c youtube only allows for a 10 minute video. I quickly learned that the ends must be wet and combed out b/c attempting to put on a curlformer. And the thicker your hair is, the smaller the section of hair has to be to prevent snagging.

Pink, my hair is about a half an inch from armpit and the medium and wide ones were too short. So you should get the long green and blue ones:perplexed

Last edited:
Natural(something in the 4 category) with "just" below shoulder length hair. Used the long/wide kit because that was the only kit available. Purchase 2 needles. I would "load" while hubby used the other one in my hair.

Here are my recommendations:

1. Yes, get a partner to help if possible! One load another hook the hair!
2. For naturals, pull the curlformer as far up as possible so it is tight against the roots-less hair showing from roots to the curlformer...this will help stop the puffiness.
3. The smaller the sections the better
4. Do decide the direction you want the curls to lay and position the curls that way. In natural hair it is very hard to change directions once dried.
5. Keep hair as wet as possible, I used spray bottle even after the formers were in since it took about 30 minutes to "roll" my hair
6. Once I figured out to open the top of the former up to help slide the hooked hair through....things went a lot faster
7. If any strands of hair is left out of a former...things will be a mess!

I use keracare setting foam and lots of water to set. Hair was extremely soft and silky in comparison to even roller setting. Curl looked fantastic when taken out of curlformer.

Here is where it gets tricky....the next day. I intentionally didn't wrap or pin curl hair last night. This morning...results were not good! However for a first attempt AND with hubby doing it, not bad!

I am doing my daughter's hair now. She is natural(somewhere in the 3 category) with hair definitely armpit length. I purchased an additional two packs of curlformers (extra long and wide) with her in mine. Definitely needed the extra long for her armpit length.

She's under the Pibbs now and I will post and let everyone know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Daughter's hair came out ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS! Much softer and silkier than a rollerset. I believe it was due to the curlformer being so close to the root.

No Frizz and No puffy roots! I did a very good job!:waytogo:

That's what I was thining.

I don't think I can use these things because my hair is too long:sad:. Using two on one section is not an option for me.....it's not that serious......I can't be doing all that work, lol. I'm getting tired just thinking about that.

Pinkskates if you do try them good luck and can't wait to see your results.

Back