Curlformers Challenge!

SimJam

intersting, Im gonna order some but i wont be getting them in time to start the challenge.

swtpea

I'm using Curlformers for these reasons:

1. I'm transitioning. I'm 14 months post and I will not BC.
2. Staightening my transitioning hair was easy, and looked relaxed, but stagnated my growth.
3. I'm on a personal no heat for 6 months challenge ( I just passed month one)
4. I'm all about protective styling. The curls have been an added bonus that give my protective style a little more texture & finish
5. Low-no manipulation is required throughout the week. I experience no breakage, I do not have to detangle or wrap. I simply bonnet at night & go to sleep.

Unexpected bonus: everyone thinks this is my natural curl pattern! I have gotten so many comments, mainly asking me why I've never worn my hair "natural" like this before :)

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I'll be watching from the sidelines cuz I don't want to commit to another challenge :lol:. I use curlformers almost every week to stretch my natural hair. It has helped with those pesky SSK's and I like how it provides me with more length with my braid outs and twist outs :yep:.

drmuffin

I think I'll be watching from the sidelines as well. I don't think my hair is long enough for CF. But boy when it does...look out!

HanaKuroi

I use curformers on my hair and dd. It just takes too long to put them in. I have 3 tools. I have all the sizes. I think I am lazy. I like braidouts with a flexirod at the end. This transitions to a braidout puff. I have to use a mirror to put in my curformers. I use them once a month. I don't think that is enough. I will cheer from the sidelines.

Darenia

Hey OP, if you don't get too many participants maybe you could post over in the Roller Setting 2012 thread. I don't really know the rules but I'm sure the ladies over there would welcome you.

WriterGirl

Hazel, I will be using Curlformers until I BC, which is looking like January 2013. I'll stay with you, lady!

We can check in and track our length retention. :)

HanaKuroi

If you come up with a speedier way to use these please post it. I can post pics of dd hair from last year.

faithVA

Hey OP, if you don't get too many participants maybe you could post over in the Roller Setting 2012 thread. I don't really know the rules but I'm sure the ladies over there would welcome you.

Also if you aren't too strict with your joining period you will get more. Unless you have a reason you have to have a cut off for when people join, you may want to keep it more open.

faithVA

If you come up with a speedier way to use these please post it. I can post pics of dd hair from last year.

I didn't go back to read through how you were using yours, but you don't have to do them on completely wet hair.

I have taken out my twists, applied a moisturizer/conditioner and then put in the curl formers. My curls were set in 2 hours.

Much better than the 8 to 12 hours it would take my hair to dry.

Hazel

HanaKuroi said:

HanaKuroi The slippery leave in conditioner mix I use has my curlformers installed in about an hour. See my first post for my regimen. faithVA made a great suggestion as well.

HanaKuroi

My daughter has thick hair and it takes forever. Foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr. And then she starts complaining as soon as they are in. She says she feels claustrophobic. She is not a little kid.

Last edited:

Hazel

Hey everyone, just a quick upate: I'm on day 8 since I last washed and set my hair with curlformers. I've been unable to take quality pics due to a hectic work schedule this week. I plan to update with pics more often once my schedule calms down. Since I didnt have time to wash and reset my hair, I retwisted and pincurled my it on Thursday night and set under my plug in heat cap. Twists came out wonderful and look like they will last until Monday, when I can finally wash and install again.

swtpea

Great job Hazel! Tomorrow is my wash day! I have had my same Curlformers set for a week now. Pics to follow:

This is my hair stretched. I got a trim last week. I needed it, so now I'm back to APL,
View attachment 138437

Ok, these photos just show my texture after a week. Most days I protective style. I now a pro with making pretty messy buns :) I also have like a billion accessories.

View attachment 138441

View attachment 138443

Ok, I'm not a video person. This is my night routine. if have any specific questions just inbox me. I hope this,helps,with those who are unsure as to get the curls to stay. This I what I do:

First I lean over and make sure all my curls are hanging before I put on the soft headband.
View attachment 138445

Next, I put on the headband, insuring all the hair has LOOSELY been pulled up.
View attachment 138463

Then I find a hair tie. I use the ouchless ones. You could use a scuncii.
View attachment 138461

Once my hair is pulled up, I add another hair tie to keep all my ends together while I sleep. If you hair is short, then this is not necessary.

Now my ends are secured
View attachment 138465

After everything is pulled up on the top of my head, I'm ready for bed. The higher on your head the better. Also, do not make your high pony tight. You want to give yourself a rest.

View attachment 138459

Then I bonnet, and the end. In the morn, I just shake out my curls and then make a messy bun and put in a hair accessory like headbands, clips, flowers, fancy bobby pins, etc...

I hope this helps ladies. Please let me know.

Edited to add descriptions to pics. :yawn:
View attachment 138469

Last edited:

YoursTrulyRE

I would like to join. I have my hair in a twist set right now but I will order some curlformers today and start March 1.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Okay ladies I will join this challenge since I'm already using curlformers anyway :lol:. Count me in :grin:!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Ok ladies here are my stats:
Current length: APL
This year's goal: BSL
Hair type: 4a natural, highly porous
Curlformers: Long and wide for now but I'll be ordering extra long and wide soon
Growth oil: Homemade ayurvedic oil coconut based
Reggie:
Prepoo with homemade ayurvedic oil overnite
Wash hair weekly using mud wash or ayurvedic poo bar or ayurvedic teas or paste
Henna: Just started monthly henna treatments
Deep condition with MyHoneyChild Honey hair mask mixed with ceramide oils, agave nectar, molasses, and banana baby food. I also use AOGPB mixed with same stuff when I need a protein boost.
Leave in: Camille Rose curl love hair milk
Sealant: Jane Carter nourish & shine or PBN cupuacu butter or MHC Sophia's old fashioned hair grease
After I apply my leave-ins, I braid my hair using 6 braids and let it air dry overnite. The next morning I install the curlformers using distilled water and Jane Carter wrap & roll. I wet my hair first because the last time that I've tried the wrap & roll on dry hair it left flakes in my hair :nono:. My sets turn out better when I wet my hair first then apply the wrap & roll :yep:. I usually air dry my hair and sleep in the curlformers which is a nightmare :lol:. However, now I install the curlformers early in the morning so that way its dry by the time I go to sleep. I do occasionally use my soft bonnet dryer on low heat when I need to hurry up and dry my set. I am planning on flat ironing in May for my length check so I will need at least 1 direct heat pass please :grin:.
I usually don't wear my curlformers as a style cuz I use it to stretch my hair to provide more length to my twist n curls and braid n curls. Curlformers have helped with my SSK's and it has helped me to retain moisture better :grin:.

Last edited:

ResultsMayVary

I'm in!

Just purchased last week and I am hooked. The speed in which my hair dries in these are amazing and the stretch I get from them is perfect for my braid and twist outs.

I only have long:wide and I am not really a fan of the look I get with them (my curls are too short for mu taste) but they are wonderful for stretching.

For future styling purposes I am going to order extra long:narrow & extra long:extra wide.

Current Hair:
Transitioning HDN
borderline APL

Regimen:
Co Wash: anything Suave (2x a week)
Leave in: HE LTR
Sealer: Softee Hair Grease
Shiner: Coconut Oil

stretch hair with curlformers
once dry braid, flexirod the ends, sleep, unbraid, and rock stretched braidout..

I plan to keep this regimen for the year with a few passes for days when I want to wear my hair straight, hopefully it will allow me to have a smooth 3 year transition.

Photos below from first use.

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Last nite was wash day and after my hair air dried a bit, I applied the Jane Carter wrap & roll and sealed the ends with Jane Carter nourish & shine then installed the long & wide curlformers. I hardly ever wear them as a style so I ended up doing mini twist for this week.

Attachments

• IMG-20120225-00523.jpg
    IMG-20120225-00523.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG-20120225-00525.jpg
    IMG-20120225-00525.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 134

samanthathebrave

Hi! I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are some people able to get their type 4 hair reasonably straight and or curly without flatironing by just using curlformers?