Crown & Glory Method

janiebaby

I don't expect many people to reply to this but I have seen alot of women on here mentioning the crown & glory method. I researched it and it looks a little too tedious for me but there was something about shampooing the scalp everyday. I wondered how this would be possible without getting the rest of my hair wet and having to redo my hair everyday? Please note: I have a relaxer and wash every 1-2 weeks.

If you were using wigs as your protective style, you could wash your hair daily and not even comb it provided it was cornrowed or plaited underneath the wig. I've also worn half wigs and had the front part plaited way in the back, but with enough so you couldn't tell in the front, and the demarcation btwn the wig and my hair covered with a headband.

ebonylocs

The key to the Crown and Glory method isn't the shampooing, but protecting your hair using braid extensions (or some other protective style like wigs / weaves). The shampooing your scalp daily thing is a recent addition.

The basic elements of the method are:

1. Put your hair into braid extensions. Make sure the extensions aren't too small or too tight because you don't want to put stress on your follicles or hairline, nor tear out a lot of your hair when you're taking the braids out.
  2. Keep the extensions in for about two months. Make sure you moisturize your braids throughly every day, e.g. by spritzing with S-curl/Sta-Sof-fro and a strengthening leave-in. Wash and deep condition your hair in the extensions weekly. Robin has also begun to recommend daily rinsing of the scalp as something that might stimulate growth while the hair is in the extensions, but IMO, it's not necessary.
  3. Remove extensions. Deep condition your hair as necessary for a couple of weeks before relaxing your hair again (if you do relax)
  4. Rest your hair two months before putting braid extensions in again.

As you see, it's quite simple. And good for lazy girls like me, who don't like to spend a lot of time on hair. When your hair is in the braids, all you have to do is spritz it and go, and wash and condition (or just conditioner wash) weekly.

When it's out of the braids, use healthy hair practices, like those recommended on this board or on the Crown and Glory website.

sareca

ebonylocs said:
The key to the Crown and Glory method isn't the shampooing, but protecting your hair using braid extensions (or some other protective style like wigs / weaves). The shampooing your scalp daily thing is a recent addition.

1. Put your hair into braid extensions. Make sure the extensions aren't too small or too tight because you don't want to put stress on your follicles or hairline, nor tear out a lot of your hair when you're taking the braids out.
  2. Keep the extensions in for about two months. Make sure you moisturize your braids throughly every day, e.g. by spritzing with S-curl/Sta-Sof-fro and a strengthening leave-in. Wash and deep condition your hair in the extensions weekly. Robin has also begun to recommend daily rinsing of the scalp as something that might stimulate growth while the hair is in the extensions, but IMO, it's not necessary.
  3. Remove extensions. Deep condition your hair as necessary for a couple of weeks before relaxing your hair again (if you do relax)
As you see, it's quite simple. And good for lazy girls like me, who don't like to spend a lot of time on hair. When your hair is in the braids, all you have to do is spritz it and go, and wash and condition (or just conditioner wash) weekly.

When it's out of the braids, use healthy hair practices, like those recommended on this board or on the Crown and Glory website.

Wow, just spritzing the braids works for you? I have saturate mine like she does in the demonstration or my hair is dry as a bone at takedown.

ebonylocs

sareca said:
Wow, just spritzing the braids works for you? I have saturate mine like she does in the demonstration or my hair is dry as a bone at takedown.

(Sorry, just saw this).

Yes, just spritzing worked for me.

But just wanted to say to OP or anyone else who's interested, maybe to keep their hair moiturized, they will need to do Robin's sponge saturation method, especially as the hair gets longer.

sareca

I use her technique for shampoo'g when I'm not braided. It has saved me a lot of hair.

Shea

I wear a wig for my protective style is it possible to wash hair or cowsh hair and leaving in cornrows without it getting matted or fungus or something or do I have to take out the cornrows everytime I was:confused: bc I take them out and wash but I rather not

Miss*Tress

ebonylocs said:

Great summary and much more clearly presented than on the website. Thanks, ebonylocs. :up:

Can you do the braids without extensions? Also, what if the braids don't last for two months? I can only go for a couple of days with small(ish) box braids before I have to redo them.

Last edited:

Dearlove

I use the c& g while in two strand twists. I spritz nightly with diluted infusium 23, then follow up with cantu shea butter mixed with shea butter oil. Then I sleep in my bonnet. My hair stays neat until my next weekly wash.

prettygrl

Shea said:
I wear a wig for my protective style is it possible to wash hair or cowsh hair and leaving in cornrows without it getting matted or fungus or something or do I have to take out the cornrows everytime I was:confused: bc I take them out and wash but I rather not

yep. i did this all the time when i had a sew in. i got addicted to washing daily or every other day. and when ever i would put my fingers in btwn my sew in my cornrows would always be damp.

sareca

Shea said:

My hair is always at some degree of dampness.