Could my Coconut Oil be the cause of my sore and irritated scalp?

QueenNefi

My front edges have been sore, irritated, and itchy for months now. I never attributed it to coconut oil but now I am starting to wonder.

I have traction alopecia in the front (so I thought). I was wearing phony ponys everyday since around August or September of last year. That is around the time that I started using Barleans coconut oil to smooth my edges and moisturize my hair. slowly I was loosing hair in the front but only on one side. I stopped doing the phony ponies and switched over to lace fron wigs, while I cornrowed my hair underneath.

I had the same itchy, sore scalp while wearing the lace front wigs. I would especially notice it right after I washed and conditioned my hair. The hair never grew back, even after six months of nurturing the hair. I figured that I permanently damaged the scalp area.

I live in Florida, so it became too hot and too humid to continue rocking my lace front wigs. I changed my regiment two weeks ago. I used Keracare shampoo and conditioner and Chi thermal products. I flat ironed my hair, put some IC polisher on and went on my way. I didn't even notice but for the last to weeks, I did not have any problems with my scalp/edges

This morning I noticed my hair way dry and lifeless, so I put some coconut oil on the ends and on my edges, wraped my hair and went to sleep. That's when it began again. My edges are sore, itchy and irritated. Then it dawned on me that the only thing different was the coconut oil.

Could it be the coconut oil?

Ijanei

I began to notice the same thing this week after I purchased a bottle of coconut oil. I started using it last week but I have like sore or something that feels like that around the edges (nape, sides.) I never thought it would have been the coconut oil but now you have me thinking. hmmm....

JuiceMobsta

My front edges have been sore, irritated, and itchy for months now. I never attributed it to coconut oil but now I am starting to wonder.

I have traction alopecia in the front (so I thought). I was wearing phony ponys everyday since around August or September of last year. That is around the time that I started using Barleans coconut oil to smooth my edges and moisturize my hair. slowly I was loosing hair in the front but only on one side. I stopped doing the phony ponies and switched over to lace fron wigs, while I cornrowed my hair underneath.

I had the same itchy, sore scalp while wearing the lace front wigs. I would especially notice it right after I washed and conditioned my hair. The hair never grew back, even after six months of nurturing the hair. I figured that I permanently damaged the scalp area.

I live in Florida, so it became too hot and too humid to continue rocking my lace front wigs. I changed my regiment two weeks ago. I used Keracare shampoo and conditioner and Chi thermal products. I flat ironed my hair, put some IC polisher on and went on my way. I didn't even notice but for the last to weeks, I did not have any problems with my scalp/edges

This morning I noticed my hair way dry and lifeless, so I put some coconut oil on the ends and on my edges, wraped my hair and went to sleep. That's when it began again. My edges are sore, itchy and irritated. Then it dawned on me that the only thing different was the coconut oil.

Could it be the coconut oil?

Do you usually wrap your hair? I guess you are having a bad reaction to the coconut oil? Strange..what brand of coconut oil is it??

QueenNefi

Ijanei, you have to let me know if you are having the same reaction. I am going to stop using the brand that I have now. What brand do you use?

Chelz, I think I use Barlean. I'm at work so I am not positive but it comes in a black plastic jar. It is refined and cold pressed. Does that make a difference?

Ijanei

Soon as I get off work, I will take a picture and upload it. Mine is in a tube though, a clear bottle with yellow liquid. I thought maybe I was using to many products in my hair at one time but maybe it is the oil

theoneandonly

I'm allergic to coconut topical wise and if I eat it and I hate that because I can't use wild growth hair oil. It makes me itch like crazy and break out on my face/scalp. Do you think you are experiencing an allergic reaction?

Ijanei

If it was an reaction, do you think it would be all over the scalp considering that's where I am putting it? I make sure I oil my scalp all over. @QueenNefi uses the jar kind, but Im unsure if that's a liquid or cream form

hiphoprocker

i've noticed something similar also.. not only did coconut oil break me out to the point i had to make an emergency target run for something, anything with salicylic acid in it, i noticed the exact same soreness at my edges. weird. never thought to attribute it to the coconut oil. after the breakout i drastically cut back on my coconut oil usage and now that i think about it, i haven't noticed the soreness lately.. it was like the hair on my edges hurt!!:perplexed lol. like hurt to move if that makes any sense. i had to handle my edges very gently when i styled my hair. Even when the wind moved my hair, it hurt. i honestly thought that because i did protective styling 90 percent of the time and my hair didnt "move" much that the soreness and tightness was due to my scalp just being stiff. but it was only the front inch or so of my scalp.

I would like to add that i still do love the effects coconut oil had on my hair though. and im sure that my initial breakouts were due to me being very heavyhanded with products and my insistence that i had to apply it every night lol.:spinning: if you still like the way coconut oil effects your hair, because it can be really beneficial, maybe try to avoid your scalp in the front of your hair. which i know is no easy feat with the way coconut oil melts and runs, but still a possibly plausible solution. Hth.

and i used the nutiva brand.

anon123

it could be. it seems like my scalp used to be a lot more sensitive to anything, including oil, on it. even now i don't apply anything directly to it, and if i put too much on my hair and it ends up on my scalp, i can find myself itching. never sore, though. i would discontinue use.

QueenNefi

Ijanei, it could be. My scalp is sore and itching primarily where the coconut oil touched my scalp. I placed it on my ends then smoothed it over my front edges.

Theoneandonly, maybe I am allergic to coconut tropical but I hope it's just the brand.

QueenNefi

Hiphoprocker, my scalp was sore to the touch but the same time it was itchy. I suffer more if I scratch.

mwedz, I hope it's just the brand that I'm using but I don't know if I want to chance it again.

Creatividual

It sounds like you may have an allergy to it. I've heard of others that have allergies to certain ones; coconut too. Some people's scalps don't like certain kinds or any kind of oil on it. My hair luvs oils but doesn't like it applied directly to the scalp so now I don't put anything on it, just focus it on my hair and ends mainly and we get along just fine.

30something

When I first put coconut oil on my hair, it got on my scalp and it wreak havoc!!!
For some reason it didn't do it again. Coconut oil is still not my best friend, the brand was spectrum.

At least we have good selection of oils. I like avocado better, it penetrate just like Coconut oil too.