Confused about combing when wet or dry

apemay1969

Whenever my hair is even moist from my moisturizer - ors olive oil - my hair comes out all over my hands and/or the comb. :nono: The only time my hair does not seem to rub off is when it is completely dry. How do I wash, moisturize and generally take care of my hair if everytime an eensy bit of water touches it, it slides off my head? I cannot detangle without something sliding off - even after protein. I just got my BT - thanks naturallady - and I was using Vatika and my hair felt strong but I thought that I may need some moisture. Well, i put the olive oil moisturizer in my hair and there it went again, filling the palm of my hand.

Do I have to moisturize to keep my hair healthy? Can I just use Vatika daily and prepoo, wash and deep condition twice a week? I dunno, guys. I'm still a newbie and I need some help with this one.

LadyPaniolo

Wow, now I've heard everything! What an unfortunate problem to have. Does your hair break when you comb it dry? If it only breaks when wet, but doesn't break when dry... then you should definately comb it dry.

Maybe someone with some experience in this area will chime in... good luck

glamazon386

That might be an indication that your hair is over moisturized. Does it feel mushy when it's wet and these pieces are coming out?

PinkPeony

Is your hair breaking or shedding?
If it's shedding you have a white bulp at the end of each strand and a certain amount of shedding is normal:yep:

If it's breaking please do a strand test before you do anything else to find out what you need(protein or moisturize)

Having said that I don't moisturize daily... maybe every other day.
If I'm co-washing daily or every other day I randomly moisturize depending on my hair's dryness:yep:
I also prefer to comb or detangle my hair when it's damp b/c wet hair means that my hair can get stretched out beyond oblivion and eventually will break if I'm not careful.

apemay1969

That might be an indication that your hair is over moisturized. Does it feel mushy when it's wet and these pieces are coming out?

That's the strange part. It doesn't feel particularly mushy when it's wet. Right now it's still a little moist from moisturizing and it feels pliant and strong. There are just little hairs that come off into my hand and would do that until i seal it or it dries. I don't get it.

Isis

I agree with Glamazon that your hair could be over moisturized and like she said, your hair would feel mushy.

It could also be that your hair is protein sensitive. In the beginning of my hair journey, I had to stop using the original Infusium 23 leave-in because when I combed it through my wet hair, hair was also in my hands when I touched my wet hair. That stopped in its tracks when I switched to another leave-in without protein (Headress and Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic). Infusium 23 works great with some people whose hair likes more protein.

mzhotniz86

That's the strange part. It doesn't feel particularly mushy when it's wet. Right now it's still a little moist from moisturizing and it feels pliant and strong. There are just little hairs that come off into my hand and would do that until i seal it or it dries. I don't get it.

do you comb everyday? if you dont comb your hair everyday and wait until wash day to comb it, then it could be just the dead/shed hairs that you are seeing that have built up overtime but i agree , your hair may not be balanced. try doing reconstructor treatment next time.

glamazon386

I agree with Glamazon that your hair could be over moisturized and like she said, your hair would feel mushy.

It could also be that your hair is protein sensitive. In the beginning of my hair journey, I had to stop using the original Infusium 23 leave-in because when I combed it through my wet hair, hair was also in my hands when I touched my wet hair. That stopped in its tracks when I switched to another leave-in without protein (Headress and Biolage Leave-in Hair Tonic). Infusium 23 works great with some people whose hair likes more protein.

You're right. Protein is tricky. You shouldn't use it if you don't need it because it can cause shedding. But if your hair is breaking, then you should use it.

Moroni

I experience this when I'm shedding A LOT. The first time I used shikakai oil as a prepoo, then with putting the conditioner in my hair, lots of hair just came out on my hand. No more shikakai for me! LOL I've noticed a lot more shedding during the past 4 weeks for whatever reason, too, so I've consoled myself with the rationale that my hair has jump-started its growth, and the dormant hair is jumping ship! :lachen:Some information that I've read (on Indian herb websites) says that you will notice an increase in hair shedding with an increase in growth, and since my scalp has been extremely tender for the same amount of time, that was my conclusion. I have not used any topical growth aids in the last 4 weeks because of the shedding, though, just to remove those as a possible cause. HTH

apemay1969

I experience this when I'm shedding A LOT. The first time I used shikakai oil as a prepoo, then with putting the conditioner in my hair, lots of hair just came out on my hand. No more shikakai for me! LOL I've noticed a lot more shedding during the past 4 weeks for whatever reason, too, so I've consoled myself with the rationale that my hair has jump-started its growth, and the dormant hair is jumping ship! :lachen:Some information that I've read (on Indian herb websites) says that you will notice an increase in hair shedding with an increase in growth, and since my scalp has been extremely tender for the same amount of time, that was my conclusion. I have not used any topical growth aids in the last 4 weeks because of the shedding, though, just to remove those as a possible cause. HTH

I would love to think that my new hair is pushing out my old hair.:yep: but I really think that the protein is the problem. I relaxed two weeks ago, did a protein during and the next weekend afterward.

That is when the serious breakage began. I did a prepoo with alma and dove conditioner, washed with therappe and dc'd with ors - my mishmash of products - I was too afraid to put the olive oil moisturizer on it so I just but the vatika on it while it was wet and there was no breakage. The next morning when I went to detangle, I put a little humectress on my fingertips and gently rubbed my ends. No breakage. I started to detangle and a few hairs were in the comb - no big deal. Well, the killer happened when I went to pat my hair down on top so my wig wouldn't be so big, I pulled my hand away and it was filled with hair.
It's breaking in the middle:wallbash:

Since I'm in the wig challenge, I'm going to have my buddy braid my hair so I'll keep my hands out of it, do my weekly regimen for about a month or until my braids drive me crazy and then see how it goes after that.

Maybe my hair is telling me to leave it alone to do it's job, hmm?:rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the help. I'll fill you in in about a month.

apemay1969

:grin::grin::grin:

Eureka. I couldn't find the girl that usually braids my hair and I was freaking out because I was losing all my dang hair.

You know guys, this forum is so rich with information sometimes it's hard to put it into real life practice. I learned about MN and BT, satin bonnets and sealing, and vitamins and cardio - all of these to help with happy, healthy hair. Well, one of the most important things that I've learned in this infancy of my process, is that protein and moisture balance is key to maintaining healthy break free hair.

My hair was too full of protein. I dc'd tonight with ors replenish and alma, washed with Therappe and then tried a new moisturizing conditioner, DPR-11, I think, from Elasta QP. I couldn't stop rinsing my hair because it felt so good and strong. I wrapped my hair and went in the bathroom with all my predetangle anxiety. I started to detangle and there were no hairs in the comb!!!! Well, one, and that one came from my scalp because I felt it come out when it got tangled in the comb. Until I did it, I thought my hair was too moist, so I kept putting protein in it - mango butter - and the miracle that the moisturizing conditioner has bestowed upon my hair is amazing. I can't wait to take the satin rollers out in the morning and bounce my happy a$$ to work.

Thank you so much, guys for all your support and input. That's what we're here for. I can't wait to be on the other side and helping newbies like myself.

I also can't remember who wrote the article about breakage 101 but she just saved my 'do.