Concoction help

Mertzy

So far I bought Glycerin, Rosewater, jojoaba oil, coconut oil. I'm also thinking about buying aloe vera juice.My hair can get really dry at times and I need something to moisturize and combat breakage. I'd rather make my own because commercial products can be drying. I was wondering if anyone can suggest other ingredients that I can add. Or list your homemade concoctions.

msa

I think Traycee moisturizes with rosewater and aloe vera juice every day. You can check her blog at keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com.

A lot of people use glycerin and aloe vera mixed...but since it's a winter I don't know if it's a good idea to use glycerin because there isn't that much moisture in the air for it to pull from. Because it's a humectant if there's not enough moisture it will take it from your hair.

I use coconut oil on my wet hair. I consider it a leave in conditioner because it's been proven to penetrate the hair. It makes my hair really soft and it helps detangle.

I know a lot of people use jojoba oil on their ends. It's supposed to be the most similar to the hairs natural sebum. But, I don't use it so I don't know about that.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
So far I bought Glycerin, Rosewater, jojoaba oil, coconut oil. I'm also thinking about buying aloe vera juice.My hair can get really dry at times and I need something to moisturize and combat breakage. I'd rather make my own because commercial products can be drying. I was wondering if anyone can suggest other ingredients that I can add. Or list your homemade concoctions.

I think you have enough items to make a great concoction. There is no need to buy something else, unless you want to do so.

I think Traycee moisturizes with rosewater and aloe vera juice every day. You can check her blog at keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com.

A lot of people use glycerin and aloe vera mixed...but since it's a winter I don't know if it's a good idea to use glycerin because there isn't that much moisture in the air for it to pull from. Because it's a humectant if there's not enough moisture it will take it from your hair.

I use coconut oil on my wet hair. I consider it a leave in conditioner because it's been proven to penetrate the hair. It makes my hair really soft and it helps detangle.

I know a lot of people use jojoba oil on their ends. It's supposed to be the most similar to the hairs natural sebum. But, I don't use it so I don't know about that.

I agree with the bold. I think if you mix glycerin with other stuff, it may be okay for Winter. It really depends on so many factors.

Assuming your hair is natural and that you are wearing protective styling of some kind (I could be wrong now!) Using what you have you might want to mix
  1. Rosewater and lil' bit of the glycerine (layer 1)-This layer will probably evaporate the fastest.
  2. Jojoba Oil plain or with aloe vera- This is your second layer that will be a bit more sealing than the layer 1.
  3. Coconut oil- This will be your third layer and the most occlusive. Moisture will be sealed into the hair strand and will take a bit longer to escape from the layer of coconut oil.
This would be the most product heavy way to use your products. You could get by just using one item, such as your coconut oil. The things you have bought are not texture changing so go ahead and experiment with them in various combinations and on dry and wet hair and see what works for you! That's part of the fun.