Combing during the Shampoo stage of washing???

HappyHairDreams

So I was talking to a friend via email today and she mentioned that she occasionally combs her hair during the shampoo stage of washing. She has a full thick head of natural hair and this technique was suggested to her by another friend with natural hair. I asked her why she doesn't comb with the conditioner and she said it makes her hair go limp. She wears it in a high afro pretty much always, so I can see how conditioner combing would straighten it out and make it hard to stand up but I've never heard of washing during shampooing before and it seems like it would be a good idea. Does anyone do this?

kblc06

I do this as well with a long toothed rake comb. I loose hardly no hair with this method, where has I lose a lot when I try to comb through loaded with conditioner. But for me, it has to be a moisturizing shampoo

HappyHairDreams

I do this as well with a long toothed rake comb. I loose hardly no hair with this method, where has I lose a lot when I try to comb through loaded with conditioner. But for me, it has to be a moisturizing shampoo

Thanks for the response. I still don't feel comfortable with this. I guess I'll try anything once though...

Nonie

I think anything that provides slip would work. So a moisturizing shampoo would work just as well as a conditioner. But I don't get why combing with conditioner in the hair would make it go limp. My hair springs back into it's coily state when I comb with conditioner. The conditioner just makes the comb glide through easily but it doesn't affect the texture or make it go limp. I can see that happening if you left the conditioner on and your hair never dried, but I rinse my hair and it bounces back to its normal state. No limpness here.

HappyHairDreams

I think anything that provides slip would work. So a moisturizing shampoo would work just as well as a conditioner. But I don't get why combing with conditioner in the hair would make it go limp. My hair springs back into it's coily state when I comb with conditioner. The conditioner just makes the comb glide through easily but it doesn't affect the texture or make it go limp. I can see that happening if you left the conditioner on and your hair never dried, but I rinse my hair and it bounces back to its normal state. No limpness here.

Maybe it depends on your coil? I'm relaxed so I'm not really experienced with the effects of conditioners on natural hair, but I know with my new growth, using a heavy conditioner makes it lay flat more than if i use a light conditioner or none at all. I was assuming based on what she said that it was a similar effect.

Nonie

Maybe it depends on your coil? I'm relaxed so I'm not really experienced with the effects of conditioners on natural hair, but I know with my new growth, using a heavy conditioner makes it lay flat more than if i use a light conditioner or none at all. I was assuming based on what she said that it was a similar effect.

Oh OK. Perhaps hair type has a lot to do with it.