Combing Between Washes - What is Your Cardinal Rule?

Bnster

Ladies,

I read one blog and someone mentioned she never combs on dry hair, only when she puts moisture on her hair. Now this is a new concept to me.

Is this your number one rule if you comb between washes?

(1) Moisture (Condition) & Seal (Oil) and then (2) Comb.

I notice not all the time I moisturize and seal. So yes at times I will comb on dry hair starting from the ends to detangle and yes I sometimes hear the hair popping :wallbash:, but never connected it to not moisturizing first before combing. I don't know. I will now observe more closely to figure out why it may pop, because I am careful when I comb.

What methods do you use to comb your hair?

I section my hair horizontally from the back and comb section by section to the top of my head, so I am not fighting combing through all the thickness of my hair.

Please share your combing methods and cardinal rules if you don't mind. TIA for sharing!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
That's my cardinal rule too. I NEVER comb dry hair, and I don't lose a lot of hair when I comb either.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I only finger comb between shampoo days. I co-wash everyday but I only detangle about once a week or once every 2 weeks....Although I don't, I CAN comb my relaxed ends when dry but I don't touch my new growth.

beans4reezy

I PS very often, so 90% of the time, I do not have to comb my hair. The other times I do need to comb, it's usually with conditioner, under the shower, as I am detangling.

mstk

I PS very often, so 90% of the time, I do not have to comb my hair.

What is PS?

I have just started only combing under running water again. I had tried it before, but I thought I was losing a lot of hair combing while wet. I think now that I lose the same amount of hair regardless. The hair I lose in the shower does seem to be shed hair (rather than broken). I actually thought about posting a picture of my shed hair from the shower to see if it is normal/average, but didn't want to gross you ladies out. :grin:

Bnster

I am going to try to be self conscious and make sure I mositurize first before combing, then if this fails, finger comb.

Do you ladies section your hair to comb?

Thanks!

Bnster

Ooh, I Need to wash my DC out now and I use a detangling comb while washing out. It is amazing, I don't have to fight my hair to detangle because the conditioner gives slip and the running water makes it easier!

ava2

I do not comb in between washes. I am usually in braids. This has been key in retaining length and thickness.

Bnster

What is PS?

I have just started only combing under running water again. I had tried it before, but I thought I was losing a lot of hair combing while wet. I think now that I lose the same amount of hair regardless. The hair I lose in the shower does seem to be shed hair (rather than broken). I actually thought about posting a picture of my shed hair from the shower to see if it is normal/average, but didn't want to gross you ladies out. :grin:

PS is Protective Style.

Thanks to all that provided feedback!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I guess this goes to show how different things work for different people. I lose MORE hair when I comb it AFTER moisturizing. I flat-iron once a week and I believe the cones make it easier to comb and I barely lose any hair. Plus it's less tugging too. Then when it's time to moisturize and bun I learned to comb it when it's dry before moisturizing. It doesn't matter if I use my fingers to comb or a regular comb, I'll have hair all over. Either way, I lose MUCH more hair when it's wet.

So I guess it makes a difference if you're only protective styling with no heat.

MizzCoco

I just adopted this rule, to only comb after I moisturize and seal. I gently comb thru to evenly distribute in 2 sections, and it works much better this way, I hardly get any breakage when I do it like that

darlingdiva

The only time that I comb in between washes is when I'm detangling my hair from a twistout. I still moisturize & seal before combing it, though. Also, I comb my hair w/ my fingers before using a comb b/c my fingers remove tangles more gently than the comb does.

equestrian

Ladies,

I read one blog and someone mentioned she never combs on dry hair, only when she puts moisture on her hair. Now this is a new concept to me.

Is this your number one rule if you comb between washes?

(1) Moisture (Condition) & Seal (Oil) and then (2) Comb.

I notice not all the time I moisturize and seal. So yes at times I will comb on dry hair starting from the ends to detangle and yes I sometimes hear the hair popping :wallbash:, but never connected it to not moisturizing first before combing. I don't know. I will now observe more closely to figure out why it may pop, because I am careful when I comb.

What methods do you use to comb your hair?

I section my hair horizontally from the back and comb section by section to the top of my head, so I am not fighting combing through all the thickness of my hair.

Please share your combing methods and cardinal rules if you don't mind. TIA for sharing!

I only comb in the shower.

ceebee3

I comb everyday with my wide tooth comb on either dry or wet hair. My hair is only usually wet on wash day though.

tami73

Lots of mixed responses but personally I won't go near my hair with a comb unless its sopping wet. Even when I straighten, I only moisturize the ends without combing. I'm too scared of that popping sound . . . .

Nonie

The last time I used a comb in my hair was when I wore it out in April 2009. Otherwise I just finger comb my hair, one braid section or twist section at a time, when redoing my braids/twists. I remove shed hair this way and because I keep my hair stretched, I don't get knots or tangles.

I only comb my hair when wearing it out, usually in an afro puff.

aa9746

The last time I used a comb in my hair was when I wore it out in April 2009. Otherwise I just finger comb my hair, one braid section or twist section at a time, when redoing my braids/twists. I remove shed hair this way and because I keep my hair stretched, I don't get knots or tangles.

This is exactly what I do and it works for me.:grin:

Jewell

I HAVE to comb my hair before a wash or I will have major matts/tangles in the back. So I spray my hair with a leave-in, apply an oil or moisturizer, and then comb it out from the root with a wide-tooth comb to remove the shed hair. If I don't do that, the shed hair gets entangled with the rest of my hair during the manipulation of washing. I messed up and didn't comb one time and it took over an hour to detangle my hair, plus I lost A LOT.

Mz.MoMo5235

i comb when i want to!

sometimes i comb 1x per wk on wash days. other times i'll come every couple of days on moisturized hair. other times i comb on dry hair.

i lose the same amount of hair every time so its like what ever to me lol.

i know its better to only comb on wet hair with conditioner for slip. but sometimes i feel the need to comb

jupitermoon

I never comb between washes. On wash days I finger comb my hair in three or four sections with my hair full of conditioner while standing under running water in the shower. No dry combing. Sometimes I co wash and finger comb daily and other times only once a week. It depends.

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

I need to start doing this. My hair HATES to be combed...just hates it. If I leave it alone, I only get a couple shed hairs...when I comb it starts raining ends!!