Coloring my hair

I have black hair that I would to get into a nice dark brown shade. I do not want to do this using a permenant hair dye (Level 3). Can I acheive this using a demi-permenant hair dye? I was thinking of using Natural Instincts in shade 28. It says that if you hair is black or dark brown it will give you a dark netural brown. I just wonder if it will actually work on natural type 4b hair.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
I have black hair that I would to get into a nice dark brown shade. I do not want to do this using a permenant hair dye (Level 3). Can I acheive this using a demi-permenant hair dye? I was thinking of using Natural Instincts in shade 28. It says that if you hair is black or dark brown it will give you a dark netural brown. I just wonder if it will actually work on natural type 4b hair. Oh yeah, I don't want reddish tones.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">I use Natural Instincts Nutmeg 28, and it works well with either relaxed or natural hair. I found that it does has some red highlights when exposed to the lighting in your house. If I were you, I would try Midnight 36. But if you want to try Nutmeg, then go for it. I get both shades to see what would work best on my hair. Let me know how it turned out when you try one or the other. I'm thinking about using 2 shades to wake my hair color up with some oooooooomph! I'll do that next month. Good luck with your results. </font>

soslychic

What is the difference between a demi permanent and a permanent? Is there any way to get highlites (not all around color, only highlites) in dark (off black) hair without using a permanent?

What shade is 36? What type of dark brown is that? How did it take your natural instincts dye to fade? The box says upto 24 washes, but I am unsure. I might have to email clairol.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
Will Natural Instincts damage your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Is natural instints a semi permanent?
what is a demipermanent?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">Natural Instincts is low in peroxide, and it's more gentle on natural or relaxed hair.

To answer soslychic's question, semi-permanent color lasts 6 weeks or 24 shampoos. Demi-permanent color lasts, I believe, 12 shampoos, like Loving Care. You don't have to worry about growing your color out and seeing your natural root color and touch up at all. Choose a shade that will work with your natural hair color to enhance or to add highlights. </font>

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
What shade is 36? What type of dark brown is that? How did it take your natural instincts dye to fade? The box says upto 24 washes, but I am unsure. I might have to email clairol.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">Mine fade gradually. But if you want to maintain the color, there are shampoos and conditioners for color treated hair that has UV filters to protect it from fading. The box of Natural Instincts say it lasts 24 shampoos. </font>

AFashionSlave

If your hair is natural and jet black a demi-perm or semi-perm color will not change your hair color. Demi &amp; Semi colors only deposit hair color. They do not lighten enough to make any real change. If you use them your hair will only have a brown cast in bright sunlight.

If your hair is relaxed or texturized a semi or demi may give you the color that you need. Relaxers break down your hair shaft so the color may seep right in.

Since you are growing out the Dark and Lovely natural black color on your ends you may have a hard time changing your hair color. You will have to use a permanent hair color to lighten that black dye on your ends. You still may end up with dark ends and light roots.

If you don't have a lot of experience dying your hair I suggest that you use a professional colorist. You already have permanent black color on your ends that you are growing out. Now you are trying to go brown. You may not get the results that you are looking for without experience or a professional.

This is how hair color works:
-Box Perm hair color works in three steps. First the peroxide (or bleach) lightens your natural hair color, then the ammonia opens up your cuticle to let the color in, and then the hair color is deposited inside the cuticle. (Ammonia makes your hair shaft look like the open gills on a fish. (That is why we have to use deep conditioner regularly - it makes the gills lay back down)

-Box semi or demi perm hair color usually only contains some sort of ammonia, therefore they only deposit color.

I am only speaking from experience. I am a color freak. I change my hair color like I change outfits. I have been every color that you can think of. Hope this info helps.

Good Luck!

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Since you've colored your hair, FashionSlave, what colors did you used in the past? For me, I was a honey blonde 10 years ago, and an auburn head in mid 80's. </font>

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">Since you've colored your hair, FashionSlave, what colors did you used in the past? For me, I was a honey blonde 10 years ago, and an auburn head in mid 80's. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been hot pink, blue-black, fire engine red, bronze brown, and a dark dirty blonde. My favorite two hair colors for the past 3 years has been Feria Copper Shimmer and Bronze Shimmer. I normally use a perm color like Feria Copper Shimmer once every 3 months. I also use Adore and Jazzing colors when I feel like changing to a bright red, dark cherry, or pink color. I love to color my hair. Feria is my favorite store bought hair color.

I dyed my hair black because after using dark and lovely Chesnut Blond permenant dye (it gave me a medium brown with reddish tones) and wanted to go back to my natural colour. Low and behold, black is not my natural colour. Well I guess my hair is soft black/off black. I never really noticed that before, but I can see the difference as my hair grows out. I emailed Clairol to ask them what colour it would turn out if I use the dye. The box said you can use shade 28 on your hair it is naturally black or dark brown. I don't want to use permenant colour agian - I'd rather use something that will gradually fade. Maybe I will have to wait till my dye grows out. I don't think it is healthy to have more than 2 processes done to my hair. I guess I will wait till my hair is virgin again.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Can I ask you how long is your hair and when was your last coloring? </font>

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
I've been hot pink, blue-black, fire engine red, bronze brown, and a dark dirty blonde. My favorite two hair colors for the past 3 years has been Feria Copper Shimmer and Bronze Shimmer. I normally use a perm color like Feria Copper Shimmer once every 3 months. I also use Adore and Jazzing colors when I feel like changing to a bright red, dark cherry, or pink color. I love to color my hair. Feria is my favorite store bought hair color.

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of colors are those? permanent? semi? demi?

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of colors are those? permanent? semi? demi?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only use permanant color once every 2 or three months. I use a permanant dirty blonde color or I use a Feria Copper Blonde. Then I use temporary hair color whenever I want to change my hair color. Jazzing and Adore are temp colors.

My hair lenght is uneven. Some parts at the nape of my neck when streched out touch my shoulder blades, then I have other parts that are alot shorter. Overal about 4 inches.. The last time I coloured my hair was 2 months ago.

[ QUOTE ]
If your hair is natural and jet black a demi-perm or semi-perm color will not change your hair color. Demi &amp; Semi colors only deposit hair color. They do not lighten enough to make any real change. If you use them your hair will only have a brown cast in bright sunlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the fact that the brown tones will only reflect in the light. I just want to enhance my natural colour.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">Can I ask you how long is your hair and when was your last coloring? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair is currently about 5" to 7" long all over. I recently cut off all of my hair last month (I don't know why I did it - I got bored one day). I am currently growing out my fro again. Last year around this time my fro was fire engine red and around 12" all over. My hair is very healthy and not dry at all. You have to remember I only use permanent color once every 2 to three months. The temporary color that I use has no peroxide or ammonia. Jazzing and Adore only deposit color they do not lighten. Jazzing and Adore are about as harmful as shampoo.

My fotki album shows pictures of me with bright red, blue black and brown hair.