Colora Henna Powder

LovelyLionessa

Hi guys, after one henna treatment I am completely sold on the Henna Revolution. Last weekend I saw my BSS had Colora Henna Powder so I picked up a few boxes. It looks like this:

It is described as a "natural organic haircolor conditioner & thickener with plants, water and no chemicals." Inside the leaflet states it's "completely natural, without any synthetic additives." It's ingriedients say the following:

Ingriedients: henna

May also contain:
indigo, centaurea, rhubarb, lichen, litmus.

The other plant extracts seem to be designed to create different shades.
I bought the "black" shade so it would stand to reason that it contains some of the indigo in it. I am such a henna fanatic at this point I have been collecting shed hair and saving it in a ziploc bag so I can run tests on the henna I plan on using. :sekret:

I know all the cautions against using compound hennas of any kind, but I was curious if anyone has used Colora Henna Powder and could give me any feedback or advice. TIA guys. Viva la Henna Revolution! :grin:

QUINN

I have the exact same henna as Priestess and I am eager to try it. I will do a strand test because I don't want anything to hinder or totally set back my progress. But if anyone has used this, please give feedback. TIA. HHG...Stay Blessed....JALA

QUINN

sareca said:
You want it to say "no metallics or metals." Saying no chemicals is good too. Strand test. Have you dyed your hair with synthetic dyes before?

Colora says that it is completely natural without any synthetic additive. But companies lie sometimes. I will do a strand test, though. I should have just ordered 100% henna. I will next time.

ETA: never dyed my hair.

Neroli

JALA said:
Colora says that it is completely natural without any synthetic additive. But companies lie sometimes. I will do a strand test, though. I should have just ordered 100% henna. I will next time.

Yep, if you get body art quality 100% henna, you can't go wrong. I agree with Sareca, do a harvest test just to make sure.

sareca

JALA said:

I asked because if you put metallic compounds on virgin hair nothing bad will happen. Bad things happen when metallic compounds are combined with synthetic dyes. So the bad thing would happen when you put a synthetic dye over the henna years and year later.

So, if you decide to use a synthetic dye in the future strand test it with your hair too. You follow?

Last edited:

sareca

Neroli said:
Yep, if you get body art quality 100% henna, you can't go wrong. I agree with Sareca, do a harvest test just to make sure.

Neroli's right. BAQ NEVER includes metallic compounds. It's really the safest, but even then you need to strand test.

QUINN

Thank you, Ladies. I will let y'all know how it goes next week.I hope to look like this :D, not this :eek::mad:! :lachen:...JALA

sareca

JALA said:

My problem is I don't know if metallics are considered synthetic. Silver and gold are metal AND natural. Ya know?

LovelyLionessa

sareca said:
My problem is I don't know if metallics are considered synthetic. Silver and gold are metal AND natural. Ya know?

The good news seems to be the product is described as 100% plant based so that should exclude all metallics. You can bet your bottom dollar that I will be doing a test on my wad of harvested hair to be sure though. I have never used synthetic hair color or any other type of hair color in my hair but my hair is relaxed. I think every time I use any kind of henna, I will be sure to keep my harvested furball on hand for all henna testing. :brainy:

I will keep everyone posted. ;)

sareca

Feel free to disregard anything I've said ... I LOVE experimenting with my hair, but I've drawn a line in the sand when it comes to henna. Just because none of the other products I've used every had 'melted hair' as a potential side effect. I'll be the first to admit I'm probably being overly cautious. :yep: (this from a girl that used giny cream on her scalp... think about that for a sec) :lachen:

Seriously, if I wouldn't do it to my own hair, I'm NOT going to condone it for anyone else. Ya know?

Last edited:

Cayenne0622

What's the best way to strand test? Should I mix all of the henna that I plan to use and put a strand of hair in it or should I mix some sort of small portion first? How can I find the strand after I put it in the henna? It seems like it would get lost and hard to find in the mixture.

sareca

Cayenne0622 said:
What's the best way to strand test? Should I mix all of the henna that I plan to use and put a strand of hair in it or should I mix some sort of small portion first? How can I find the strand after I put it in the henna? It seems like it would get lost and hard to find in the mixture.

It won't get lost if you use enough hair. It only took a couple of detangling sessions for me to have enough hair for my strand test.

Here's the procedure... http://www.hennaforhair.com/techniques/testhair/

LovelyLionessa

I just got off the phone with a representative from Natural.Net which carries the Colora Henna powder and they stated this product contains no metallics whatsoever. The representative told me she has used this product and she has a permanent hair color in her hair and was able to safely henna over it. So it looks like there won't be any hair melting episodes when using this product over color or a relaxer. :antlers:

When I asked the representative if they had any complaints about the product, she said the only complaint they had was from a customer who said the Colora did not color her gray hairs (which were numerous.) But I am sure if any customer had a disastrous experience, this natural company would not carry it or endorse this product as being "100% natural organic henna hair color and hair dye." :up:

I don't know if that helps anyone, I know it made me feel better. It pays to do your research. :think:

sareca

Priestess said:
I just got off the phone with a representative from Natural.Net which carries the Colora Henna powder and they stated this product contains no metallics whatsoever. The representative told me she has used this product and she has a permanent hair color in her hair and was able to safely henna over it. So it looks like there won't be any hair melting episodes when using this product over color or a relaxer. :antlers:

When I asked the representative if they had any complaints about the product, she said the only complaint they had was from a customer who said the Colora did not color her gray hairs (which were numerous.) But I am sure if any customer had a disastrous experience, this natural company would not carry it or endorse this product as being "100% natural organic henna hair color and hair dye." :up:

I don't know if that helps anyone, I know it made me feel better. It pays to do your research. :think:

That's makes me feel better. :) I've heard of sales people saying a product is 100% natural when it's wasn't, but I haven't heard of a company saying "no metallics" when it had metallics. Always ask the vendor.

LovelyLionessa

sareca said:
That's makes me feel better. :) I've heard of sales people saying a product is 100% natural when it's wasn't, but I haven't heard of a company saying "no metallics" when it had metallics. Always ask the vendor.

You bet. The rep was really nice, she told me a little about her hair journey and all the differnet synthetic dyes she had used on her hair before using Colora. I even called back and happened to get her again so I was able to double check my facts. :lol:

It seems the company breaks down all their products in terms of percantages of just how natural the products are, 100% vs 90% Natural Hair Colors with Colora being 100% natural. The Colora is described as being not only:
"100% natural organic henna hair color and hair dye."

but also:

"100% Natural Plant Based Hair Dye : Colora henna hair dye is made from 100% pure organic plant based ingredients."

It's nice to know a major company stands by this product. Thanks Sareca, you were the one who originally provided me with the link to this company. Knowledge is power! :cool:

FlyyGyrl

So I have a box of Colora and I plan on using it soon. Any updates, results? Any relaxed Colora users to help out?

HoneyDew

I used this once and it was OK. I say okay because it was hard to rinse out! I used the neutral. It is not sifted well and had little sticks and things in it that took forever to get out of my hair.

If you are going for a commercial henna like that, try Light mountain or Surya henna. HUGE quality difference.

HoneyDew

I cannot get down with the colored commercial henna products. Scared.

As far as the commercial stuff, here are my opinions:

But, I have used neutral henna from Light Mountain and Surya and Rainbow. Rainbow was very conditioning but, like Colora was hard to rinse. Light Mountain neutral seems IDENTICAL to cassia that I bought from HFH and Henna Sooq. The smell, texture, color, everything. I think they just put some cassia in the box and is calling is neutral henna :look: . Surya henna was okay - not enough powder in the box for the price. I am never buying Colora again! Although conditioningm, I don't know what the heck was in that powder - Little sticks and pebbles - :mad:

I would use neutral Light Mountain again and even regularly. I have lots of bulk cassia and henna left and after it is done, I may buy Light Mountain again. It was good , I can buy it at a local health food place and it was not that expensive.

FlyyGyrl

Ok thanks for all the input. I think I will go ahead and try this later on tonight. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again.

Aalize

I tried the Colora in Natural and I found it extremely hard to rinse out. But then again I didn't know that you were supposed to shampoo the stuff out. I still had little twigs and stuff in my hair a week later.

The light mountain brand is MUCH better. I used it in Neutral. The ingredients listed are cassia articulata and lawsonia inermis. Light Mountain recommends a strand test with every application (even if you've used it before) and it comes with gloves and instructions.

Aalize

FlyyGyrl said:
Ok thanks for all the input. I think I will go ahead and try this later on tonight. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again.

Since you're gonna use it anyway, I'd recommend you try sifting it yourself before adding liquids.

FlyyGyrl

I used the Colora henna (black) yesterday and I had great results. My hair is soft and strong and it looks much thicker. Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will be doing this weekly:D

HoneyDew

Aalize said:
I tried the Colora in Natural and I found it extremely hard to rinse out. But then again I didn't know that you were supposed to shampoo the stuff out. I still had little twigs and stuff in my hair a week later.
The light mountain brand is MUCH better. I used it in Neutral. The ingredients listed are cassia articulata and lawsonia inermis. Light Mountain recommends a strand test with every application (even if you've used it before) and it comes with gloves and instructions.

I had the same problem. I ended up having to clarify and rewash my hair after my post henna deep condition. :look: