CLIP ON WEAVE

Drtondalia

Hi all!
I was just wondering what your thoughts are on clip on weave.

Is it sturdy?
Should it be attached to straightened hair or braided hair?
Is the pre-packaged hair best or should the hair and clip be bought separately and assembled?
What hair would you recommend for this?

I'm just looking for some options for PS and came across clip on weaves.
Is anyone a longtime user?

Any info will be helpful, thanks!

LongLeggedLife

To me its only useful for a one day look you plan on taking out that night...and only worthwhile if you only have to add maybe two tracks in the back to fill in a longer layer.
(It will be very bulky to have a head full of wig clips)

I wouldnt suggest it to replace a sew-in or a more long-term weave technique.
I bought some cheap hair and some wig clips, slid the clips onto the tracks, and fastened them into my parted hair.

fitnessmommy

It's not bulky. Definitely not as bulky as slapping a wig on my head. I wear clip ins that I made myself (I've worn them every day this week to work and no one knows the difference...) I actually air dry in them after I put my KCCC and leave in conditioner in and clip in the hair while it's still damp.

I do 2 clips on each side and 3 in the back (1 U shape at the crown, one between the ears and one at the nape.

I love them and they are very sturdy. No "almost" slips and gives me some great thickness!

Here is a pic. I used Outre 100 percent Human Hair in Baby Soft Wave. Hope this helps!

clipins.JPG

fitnessmommy

^^ Agreed. But, honestly...I'm so sick of my darn bun I needed to change things up and this was a quick and easy way to do it.

Leesh

It will be kinda hard to snap the clip into place on a braid, I've tried it. It works better on your hair as-is. Some folks tease that area prior to attaching, but I personally wouldn't, that's a recipe for a "Tangly" disaster. :nono:
And yes they are really sturdy, I mean those little clips are super tight!

ETA: @fitnessmommy, I would have never guessed those were "Clip Ins", That looks Great! :yep:

Hi Drtondalia, :wave: Haven't seen you around these parts in a while!

Last edited:

Drtondalia

Thanks Everybody!

So the clips on braided hair isn't a good look. I saw a video on youtube where a lady did her clip-ons over straight back braids but it looked kinda thin to me. Like I would need several packs of hair to get it to look thick like my own hair.

Is it better to buy your own hair and sew the clips to the wefts or buy it already done? Either way what hair is everyone using??

Leesh I've been a lurking.

I found this video and I decided I want me some long long hair for a while :yep: :yep:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvpotktR13g&list=PL59002565AE5F9AC9&index=13&feature=plpp

Leesh

@Drtondalia, It sure is good to see you peak your head in! :rolleyes:

When I tried to attach the clip onto a braid it wouldn't close, you know how it's a snap, pop type of thingy, it wouldn't snap! But if you think it's do-able, I say go for it.

My personal opinon would be to make them yourself. You can design them to your specifications, as well as get more for your money. Come on back in here once you do, so we can check em' out!

growinghealthyhair

I don't think clip ins are a good protective style at all. The clips can be damaging to your hair ESP with prolonged use. I wear a few with my current install from time to time and I'm always scared to death of breakage.

Jewell

I first purchased and began using clip-on human hair extensions in summer 2009. I love them. They are sturdy and don't slip out for me. Now my task is trying to track down some that match my curly natural hair texture. The ones I got 2 yrs ago are like a wavy/relaxed texture...a no go unless I straighten, which I DON'T usually waste time doing.

You will need at last 100 Grams of hair for a whole head of clip ins. they come in diff widths, which pertain to where you place them in your hair...wider pieces across the back, shorter pieces in the front, etc. I got 100 G of great human hair in 1B from China for only $39.95, free shipping (Ebay). And it arrived VERY quickly, in about 1 week I had my hair ( I don't know HOW they did that...cuz I usually wait 18-25 days for stuff from China, but the hair ships faster than anything else I've ever purchased from there...weird)!

I still have it wrapped up and put away. You can of course wash them and take the clips off if you decide you don't like the clips and wanna use as a sewn-in weft instead. I love the ability to take them on and off to get to my hair! You can also buy regular wefts of course and just sew on wig clips yourself...which a lot of ppl do if there is not a color or texture they want with clips already on. I will do that if I can find Afro kinky human hair or Cuban texture to match my natural hair.

Of course they will hurt your roots and scalp if you clip them in too tight. Common sense here says don't put them in tight! I had no damage but these aren't for long-term use due to the metal in the clips possibly causing breakage.

Last edited:

Jewell

@Jewell: Thanks for all the info. Do you use more that one weft per row? And what is the Ebay sellers name?

Drtondalia

You're welcomed! Girl I had no idea what the seller's name was off top since its been 2+ yrs but I went and looked her up since I save all my good sellers. Her name is: hairsalon-2008 (she has over 12,900 counted feedback ratings, and over 15,900 to duplicate buyers like me, at 99.4% positive).

Located in China, I added her 07/04/09, and that is definitely who I used cuz she sells mainly clip on weaves, fusion and loop attachment weaves, and salon products like Joico, and that is also the month I bought the clip-ons. I was very satisfied.:yep: HTH!

Oh yea, if I'm not mistaken, I bought the clip-ons and some Joico shampoo and conditioner from her. It was her for the clip-ons definitely, but maybe boston-hairport for the Joico stuff.

Here is hairsalon-2008's direct link to her seller page:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...8&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK:MEFSX:FDBK

ETA: I missed the other part: I only use 1 weft per section. I randomly part with my fingers across the scalp in a horizontal fashion, then clip on the hair. My hair is so thick I usually only use the longest 3 or 4 pieces for length in the back and blend. I don't even use the ones they make for the front (long bang pieces). I haven't actually attached them in over a year since I have been doing wigs.

But in my Fotki (Protective Styles album), I have on a pink and white tube top...my hair is in a single braid down the back, falling about WL...that I did by attaching 3 pieces of clip on hair, blending, braiding. It's a simple style that gave me the extra length I wanted. People thought it was all my hair!

http://fotki.com/JewellJ

And PLEASE ladies if yall are considering buying some of these clip-ons, check Ebay or online sites FIRST! The prices I have seen for 1 tiny weft of clip-on hair about 2" in width in the BSS runs around $25-40 A PIECE (this is just plain human hair, not even special cuticle Remy or anything, so imagine what the better hair would cost).

So a whole head of 8-10 pieces from the BSS in cost is gonna be like getting a whole Remy install!! That is ridiculous. Please save your time and money by checking with reputable sellers online. The BSS had me SMDH at them prices when I got a whole package of 10 pieces for $39.95.

Last edited:

Missdelicious1

I personally prefer to buy the hair and then sew the slips onto the weft. I do two long tracks at the back, two medium sized ones that lay side to side at the crown (you could also do one long track at that area if you choose), and a small one on each side of my head in the front.

Clip-ins are great for giving my hair a fuller look, but I do agree that it is NOT a protective style. It's meant to be put in and taken out at night. I would not sleep with those clips in my hair or use it as a replacement for a sew-in.

SelfStyled

This is one of my FAVORITE clip in videos. She does use cornrolls to anchor the clip ins-I think her version is protective in nature. ITA with you Miss Delicious- it is not something I would sleep in though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1GQ2SZhes&feature=youtu.be

I do like clip ins, but honestly I like U shaped human hair wigs way more. The clips sometimes bother my scalp. I make my own, which I suggest, b/c you can find he perfect texture for your hair.

I usually make one french braid down the back of my head, and place the clips over the braid.

My best use of clips ins is one track to make a long side bang. HTH.

bambieg

I love clip ins. I used them while transitioning and even now that I'm natural. I do them myself and it looks like a sew. If you pm your email address, I'll send you my process. I dont remember how to upload pics on the forum. They dont hurt, I have never used them on my unbraided hair because I'm scared it will slip out. I can take it out at night and its very versatile.

stephshe

I've used clip ins on an off for years. I use to wear 2 rows but now that my hair is longer I only need 1. I have always used indian remi hair because it can last you a year or more if you take care of it,you can also buy a texture that matches your own hair . I love that I can take them out and care for my own hair when I need too. I buy the metal clips from the beauty supply store and sew them on my self. I currently wear indian remi curly hair and when I want to wear my hair straight I just straighten the clip in hair also.

I think for the look that you are going for you probably need one pack of 18" indian remi light yaki hair(if your hair is relaxed). Then just make 2 rows of clip ins (double the wefts). You may also want to make sure they have thin wefts so that they can lie close to your scalp.

Last edited:

Drtondalia

stepshe : I am natural and I have really thick hair. Would this warrant me needing two packs of hair. From what I've been hearing the longer the hair the thinner it gets.

SelfStyled :
Coud you give me an example of this U shaped wig of which you speak?

SelfStyled

Drtondalia Go to youtube and do a search and you will see a few different versions of U part wigs. They are versatile because because you get the look of a sew in, but the versatility to better care for you scalp and hair. Some people sew theirs on, I don't. I bobby pin it on, and take it off at night, so I can moisturize and seal etc.

I totally faked one, by taking a BSS human hair wig and cutting a U into the lace:

The only drawback is that I can't get a "deep part"- but it totally works for me.

I love this wig, the texture, the look, errthang, lol. So much less tension than clip ins for me. If you decide to do the clip ins, start with a cheap like $10 pack of hair, just to see if you like the feel of them.

Sorry to hijack your thread, I just wanted to answer your questions. If there is anything I didn't answer, let me know, and I can answer here or you can PM me.