Clarification of Judges 4 verse 4....I need help

TG2000

Hi ladies,

A friend of mine told me to read this and relate it to President Elect Barack Obama. We want to discuss this tomorrow during a christian group session. I am just starting a new journey to strengthen my relationship with God. I really don't know how to interpret this and my Sister, who is normally my source of knowledge for scriptures, is not available to help. Please help me understand what this is saying. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would have to say that her theory is a bit of a stretch. In Judges 4, the Barak that the scripture is talking about is the son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali, so he was one of the children of Israel that God called specifically to battle the enemy. Now we must remember that in this passage of scripture, Deborah was the head leader over the children of Israel, and she judged matters b/f them just like Moses did in the wilderness (see Exodus 18). She was given the Word from God to go up against the Canaanites and relayed this message to Barak. So the Barak in the scripture would be in today's time looking at the US as equivalent to the second in command of the Military Forces after the president. Now b/c of Barak's disobedience, God would not allow him to receive the credit for killing Sisera, head commander of the Canaanites army. Sometimes what happened in battle at that time was that the head of the feuding camps was brought to one of the head commanders who would then execute him. However, since Barak disobeyed, God allowed a woman to receive that credit. So that is the equivalent of a young SAHM in Iraq killing someone like Saddam Hussein instead of him having been executed by government leaders. In the very next chapter (Judg 5) we see that both Deborah and Barak sang a song of the victory that God has given.

So based on this info, I would think its a big stretch to say the two Bara(c)ks relate solely by scripture. Now if God has given someone a prophetic Word concerning this, then that would be a different story, but even that would have to be backed up by scripture, and this one doesn't do it.

I would have to say that her theory is a bit of a stretch. In Judges 4, the Barak that the scripture is talking about is the son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali, so he was one of the children of Israel that God called specifically to battle the enemy. Now we must remember that in this passage of scripture, Deborah was the head leader over the children of Israel, and she judged matters b/f them just like Moses did in the wilderness (see Exodus 18). She was given the Word from God to go up against the Canaanites and relayed this message to Barak. So the Barak in the scripture would be in today's time looking at the US as equivalent to the second in command of the Military Forces after the president. Now b/c of Barak's disobedience, God would not allow him to receive the credit for killing Sisera, head commander of the Canaanites army. Sometimes what happened in battle at that time was that the head of the feuding camps was brought to one of the head commanders who would then execute him. However, since Barak disobeyed, God allowed a woman to receive that credit. So that is the equivalent of a young SAHM in Iraq killing someone like Saddam Hussein instead of him having been executed by government leaders. In the very next chapter (Judg 5) we see that both Deborah and Barak sang a song of the victory that God has given.

So based on this info, I would think its a big stretch to say the two Bara(c)ks relate solely by scripture. Now if God has given someone a prophetic Word concerning this, then that would be a different story, but even that would have to be backed up by scripture, and this one doesn't do it.

Thank you so much! I was indeed lost by how it relates.

Back