Chasing waist length...any suggestions?

Jewell

My goal is waist length by Dec 05. I think I will make it the end of Dec 05, just in case. My hair is growing well (I have a little more than an inch at 8 weeks), but I was wondering what you ladies who are past bra strap to waist length did to preserve your hair? I did a trim last month so my ends are fresh. I am also transitioning. Any little tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

baglady215

Yeah, Jewell, you should be handing out the tips girl!

I'm not waist length either, but I would think that the same things would work... Keeping ends protected and moisturized, gentle handing of your hair, etc.

Good luck on reaching your goal!

Allandra

Jewell said:
My goal is waist length by Dec 05. I think I will make it the end of Dec 05, just in case. My hair is growing well (I have a little more than an inch at 8 weeks), but I was wondering what you ladies who are past bra strap to waist length did to preserve your hair? I did a trim last month so my ends are fresh. I am also transitioning. Any little tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Protective styles worked for me.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
This works for me: Protective styles, moisturizing ends every morning + night, weekly deep conditioning, gentle handling, regular dusting (every 8 weeks), no chemicals (exept for a level 1 rinse once a month), no heat, no rough brushing or combing.

Your hair is pretty!

PhonyBaloney500

FlowerHair said:
This works for me: Protective styles, moisturizing ends every morning + night, weekly deep conditioning, gentle handling, regular dusting (every 8 weeks), no chemicals (exept for a level 1 rinse once a month), no heat, no rough brushing or combing.

Your hair is pretty!

FLower, who does your dusting? Do you do it yourself or at a salon? It's been about 12 weeks since I had a trim/dust and am thinking I should probably get a little dusting just for maintenance purposes (I guess?).

Also, what do you moisturize your ends with?

ADB

I'm hoping to reach waist length by December too! I find that protective styling, keeping my hair moisturized, and protein treatments work for me. Oh and I only trim every 6 months if needed.

Honi

There is no board.
I'm hovering above waist. Protective styles, less manipulation and moisturizing worked for me too. I will get about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch trim in October to get rid of my tail and even up things a bit.

Jewell

FlowerHair said:

Your hair is pretty!

Aww, thank you!

luv04

im also at aimin to be at waist length by dec o5 i recently jus got my hair back in shape and got rid of those thin ends..yeah to that ..keep them moisturized has helped greatly.good luck to everyone on their challenges and happy hair growing ladies..:)

mscounselor

I have a silly question....if you are transitioning how can you still achieve bra strap and waistlength hair? Aren't you going to be cutting it ever so often to remove the ends? I'm a bit confused.. :confused: ..TIA

sylver2

Jewell said:

Girl you are obviously doing what your hair loves because its beautiful and on its way. You will be there in no time.
Keep taking care of those ends.

Jewell

mscounselor said:
I have a silly question....if you are transitioning how can you still achieve bra strap and waistlength hair? Aren't you going to be cutting it ever so often to remove the ends? I'm a bit confused.. :confused: ..TIA

No, I have decided to chop when my natural hair reaches a desirable length, which will be along time from now. Until then I am going to keep letting my hair grow. :)

Jewell

sylver2 said:
Girl you are obviously doing what your hair loves because its beautiful and on its way. You will be there in no time.
Keep taking care of those ends.

Thanks Sylver! I hope so!

mscounselor

Jewell said:
No, I have decided to chop when my natural hair reaches a desirable length, which will be along time from now. Until then I am going to keep letting my hair grow. :)

OHHHH!! Ok. Me too. Hopefully we can encourage each other along the way. Once I get my routine in check that is. :perplexed
Cosigning on the beautiful hair from the other ladies.

Jewell

mscounselor said:
OHHHH!! Ok. Me too. Hopefully we can encourage each other along the way. Once I get my routine in check that is. :perplexed
Cosigning on the beautiful hair from the other ladies.

I would like that! That would be great, and thanks for the compliment!

DigitalRain

I'm hoping for waist length by the end of the year too and my plan is to moisturize and continue to wear protective styles. I'm tall so I don't think I will actually be waist length till next year but it don't hurt to hope. There's really not much else to do but to continue treating your hair well.

Last edited:

MomofThreeBoys

Your hair is so pretty!:)

DigitalRain said:
I'm hoping for waist length by the end of the year too and my plan is to moisturize and continue to wear protective styles. There's really not much else to do but to continue treating your hair well.

senimoni

DigitalRain said:
I'm hoping for waist length by the end of the year too and my plan is to moisturize and continue to wear protective styles. I'm tall so I don't think I will actually be waist length till next year but it don't hurt to hope. There's really not much else to do but to continue treating your hair well.

Can you hook us up with some updated pics.

DigitalRain

senimoni said:
Can you hook us up with some updated pics.

I'm working on it, lol. My digi cam shorted out on me late last year and being a full time student, I haven't been able to afford a new one. I've asked a few on the board about the disposable ones, but was told they make bad pics.

WaterMoccasin

DigitalRain said:

Girl me too! Except I'm not tall- but I do have a long torso. So here's to hoping I surprise myself (although realistically I expect it in Spring '06)! In the meantime, I plan to take advantage of this summer since I got an inch a month last summer, and I'm hoping to encourage the same this year. How? Well, I'm going to stay on my vitamins/eating well, protective styles and staying moisturized, less manipulation, treatments/deep conditioning...errr I guess what the ladies have said here already lol. I'm also exercising, doing scalp massages whenever I remember, using a little sulphur here and there. I'm currently in braids and thinking of doing the crown and glory thing for the rest of the year but I'm not sure I have the patience. My protective styling is usually a bun that I try to make not too tight and keep moisturized as much as possible (with activator gels, Root stimulator's Lock and twist gel, s-curl moisturizers etc.). So a combination of braids, buns, internal and external care :D

Good luck on your journey Jewell! You have beautiful hair and you will indeed make it to waist length!

Diane71

Jewel...I am on the same boat as you are. Trying to get my hair to waist length by Dec. 2005. I am currently at bra strap myself and I find that I get less breakage and split ends when I wear my hair up and keep it moisturized during the week and washing it once per week, no conditioners and no products. I have been doing that and my hair is really taking off in growth and thickness. I'm also drinking more water. BTW, your hair is really beautiful.

Ultimate Goal! 5 inches past bra strap (almost waist length) by Dec 2005
New staples: Hair Rush and Scalp Elixir with Biotin/Folic Acid
http://public.fotki.com/Diane71/