Caring for your Ends

MuslimahTresses

Besides trimming your ends, what are some other ways to take care of your ends to keep then in the best shape possible.

Are there certain products that would help maintain healthy ends?

I tried using the search feature but I couldn't find anything at all. Just a blank screen.

Any tips or suggestions?

I use butters on my ends before I add my leave in conditioner. I like sunflower, avocado, and almond butters. If I am really good I moisturize twice a day.

• Moisturising and sealing the hair (concentrating on the ends) daily
  • Deep conditioning (and concentrating the conditioner especially on the ends)
  • Concentrating on ends when using conditioner after washing hair
  • Baggying ponytails or whole head (works for some, but not everyone like it)
  • Using heat protectant on the hair (especially on the ends) when using direct heat
  • Protective styling: keeping the ends off shoulders and harsh materials.

I always start and finish my DC on my ends.

I put extra leave-in on my ends - sometimes just on my ends, and not on the rest of my hair at all.

I keep them protected 98% of the time, in one form or another.

I switched to seam-free combs, so that I won't be running potentially sharp edges over my old ends.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head - really, 60% of the hair game is about taking care of those ends - that's what retention is all about - keeping the ends happy!

Besides trimming your ends, what are some other ways to take care of your ends to keep then in the best shape possible.

I tried using the search feature but I couldn't find anything at all. Just a blank screen.

Any tips or suggestions?[/quote]

1) Make sure that you keep your ends moisturized
2) Protect your ends from breaking off on shoulders and/or clothing
3) Protect your ends with oil or conditioner during the relaxing process
4) Eliminate or minimize direct heat

• Moisturising and sealing the hair (concentrating on the ends) daily
  • Deep conditioning (and concentrating the conditioner especially on the ends)
  • Concentrating on ends when using conditioner after washing hair
  • Baggying ponytails or whole head (works for some, but not everyone like it)
  • Using heat protectant on the hair (especially on the ends) when using direct heat
  • Protective styling: keeping the ends off shoulders and harsh materials.

Thanks for your advice, all these things I have been so unconcerned with. Except for keeping my hair off my shoulders.

I just forgot about all of these things you mentioned :wallbash:

I always start and finish my DC on my ends.

I put extra leave-in on my ends - sometimes just on my ends, and not on the rest of my hair at all.

I keep them protected 98% of the time, in one form or another.

I switched to seam-free combs, so that I won't be running potentially sharp edges over my old ends.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head - really, 60% of the hair game is about taking care of those ends - that's what retention is all about - keeping the ends happy!

Thanks for your reply. I am really starting to see just how important healthy ends are.

Any tips or suggestions?

1) Make sure that you keep your ends moisturized
2) Protect your ends from breaking off on shoulders and/or clothing
3) Protect your ends with oil or conditioner during the relaxing process
4) Eliminate or minimize direct heat

I have to remember the bolded part. Thanks!

I have been saving my ends and this is what's helped me:

I baggy at night after sealing with coconut oil. I cut a square of grocery bag, wrap it around my hair then make a little bun from that. I also always make sure my ends get extra moisture and a little less when I do protein treatments to keep them from getting crunchy.

I have been saving my ends and this is what's helped me:

I baggy at night after sealing with coconut oil. I cut a square of grocery bag, wrap it around my hair then make a little bun from that. I also always make sure my ends get extra moisture and a little less when I do protein treatments to keep them from getting crunchy.

I think I'll start bagging more often. Thanks

I used to love this oil, but I gave it away becasue I thought it was making my hair break. Maybe I was using too much :ohwell:

That is a possibility. Coconut oil (which is the base of Vatika oil) has been shown to retain the protein content of the hair, making it great for strengthening the ends.

For me it is deep conditioning and putting extra conditioner on my ends before I put in the shower cap

Dousing ... literally saturating my ends with hollywood beauty olive creme

Trimming nanny ends... If i feel the ends of my hair and it feels like frizz central .. then i looks to see how they look and trim off any splits, knotws or wtv

Baggying when your hair feels extra dry .. especially after a fresh cut... that would save your ends foreverrrr

That is a possibility. Coconut oil (which is the base of Vatika oil) has been shown to retain the protein content of the hair, making it great for strengthening the ends.

Wow Artemis. Your hair is lovely! :yep:

-a bit of water followed by a bit of oil as often as needed (for me = every night -- splash of bottle water in palms, followed by my oil du jour)

-protective styles where ends are not exposed (for me = buns)

--limit exposure to chemicals (for me = coat previously relaxed hair, esp. ends, with silk protein, silicone and oil before touchups)

--limit exposure to heat (for me = eliminated heat)

I've been fighting with my raggedy ends for a year, but I definitely second the Vatika Oil. I've also just started using avocado butter and hemp seed butter, so I'll see how that goes.

Any tips or suggestions?
No direct heat

Butters or heavier moisturizers

Castor oil

Keep them tucked away and moisturized as much as possible (protective styles).

Don't hang on to bad/damaged ends.

Don't manipulate them too much.
I put a leave-in conditioner and oil/butters on them in the morning.
I put conditioner on them at night.

I feel the same way about castor oil.
ITA Pokahontas

You must have a mind set that this is the laziest, oldest and most finicky part of the hair and once it is gone it is gone.

Also for my MOISTURE and OIL.

JBCO is my BFF.

JBCO = Jamaican Black Castor Oil.

I have used almost every oil and butter out there and JBCO is the best for my ends. I also have used Coconut and Vatika also but JBCO seems to leave my ends softer and when taking down my hair it responds more with this one.

TIP - When you are taking down your twists or braids be sure to spray your ends with some oil, water and/or conditioner, leave in something wet, so they don't go snap, crackle and rip.

Back