Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In vs. Shea Moisture Shea Butter Leave-In

Which is better?

• Cantu ROCKS!!! :thumbsup:

Votes: 63 61.8%
  • Shea Moisture is my baby daddy!!! :blondboob

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • I got something better. Wrote a song about it, like ta hear it? Here it go!!! :grin:

Votes: 11 10.8%

• Total voters

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
So I was in the middle of happily making my Christmas list (yes, I'm excited!!! :pepper: ) and came across a dilemma. I can't shoose between Cantu and Shea Moisture leave ins! Which do you love/hate? Why do you love/hate it? Help me out, ya'll. I gotta finish this list, so I can daydream about how I'm gonna use my future products :grin:

Tylove101

^^^ see that's the reason I will not try Cantu, too many people saying that... but I'm going to vote SheaMoisture because it does a great job when I use it.

bee

I had read that Cantu leaves the hair dry but that has not been my experience. After I prepoo with MT and cowash with Silk Elements Cholesterol, I spray my roots w/ 14 in 1 and apply Cantu to my new growth. My hair is soft. Mind you I've only used the Cantu for my two washes this week, so it may be too early to tell.

Anywhoo, Cantu gets my vote--so far. I never tried the other one.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Cantu helped my friend style her hair post cancer. She beat it!:yep: her hair looked awesome, too. She didn't use a lot so maybe that was the key to her success.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Thanks ladies!!! From reading reviews, I've come to the conclusion that with Cantu, less is more. If you use too much, it'll make your hair hard.

That's one thing I'm worried about, cause I'm pretty heavy handed with products :ohwell:

DDTexlaxd, that's wonderful news! Your friend is a strong and brave woman! :yep:

CurlyMoo

Less is more with Cantu. I used it last night on wet hair after wash and DC with MT and moisture conditioners. I put my Cantu on and then some aloe vera gel and my hair feels really good. I didn't over do Cantu and my hair feels light and fluffy.

productjunkie814

I use both products but for different purposes. The Cantu I use as an overnight deep conditioner about twice a week at most and the SheaMoisture I use for daily moisture and hold (instead of gel). I love both of them, but I wouldn't use the Cantu for daily use.

empressri

i say go with the shea moisture. the cantu is only five dollars though so you cant go too wrong...

gorgeoushair

The Shea moisture was wack on wet hair but on dry hair, I liked it and love the smell and it served it's purpose. It's a decent moisturizer on dry hair. I don't think i would repurchase it though. I'm a PJ and it didn't WOW me. I haven't tried the Cantu.

danigurl18

I can't use cantu because it leaves residue in my hair.. i like unrefined shea buttter best but shea moisture is pretty good!

TheNewFine

I love Cantu on my natural hair. I baggy with it almost every night...my hair is soft and shiny and beautiful! LOVE IT! It totally melts my tangles~I have narrowed it down to my only deep conditioner - it replaced ORS for me! Can't say enough good things about it! YUMMY! I put my hair in 6 pincurls at night before baggying and use coconut oil on the ends. My hair is thriving soooo much!

Last edited:

MrsLack

I use the Shea Moisture. I am still not 100% sure I love it. I think it works well on my new growth, but on the relaxed hair I have to thin it out by putting a little water on my hands first. I didn't like it on my wet hair, but it does lay my new growth and edges down nicely. Less is more with this product too!

SEMO

I like both products. But there are pros and cons to each.

Cantu: I love the light tropical scent, it helps my curls pop, and works great over a leave-in conditioner. The downside is, it can't be used in conjunction with IC Fantasia gel, and it can buildup in the hair, so you can't use it if you only cowash and occasional clarifying is needed.

Shea Butter Moisture: Is really thick, and creamy, and works as a great moisturizer. A little goes a long way, and it's great to use in winter months when more serious moisture is needed. The downside is that it has a really strong fruity, grape scent that I really dislike. And the smell tends to overpower the smell of other products or creates a weird smell combo.

Prose Princess

I like Cantu, it's very moisturizing! :yep: I use it on my wet hair before rollersetting and my rollersets always come out soft and nice. The only problem I have with it is that it makes my wet hair start to dry before I can finish rolling my hair. :ohwell: I also used this for a while on my crown in conjunction with water to help it grow out, however I've moved on to Giovanni Direct for that now. I haven't tried Shea Moisture though so I can't speak on that.

spritex

Shea moisture has a lovely creamy texture but I do worry about ingredients and there is something in it called "herbal complex". Now it may not be a big deal but if you are say, protein sensitive, cone sensitive etc you need to be really comfortable with all the components of your product. So yeah, I have sheamoisture but use it very rarely 'cos I'm not 100% sure what is in it. I heard Cantu has a cone so I don't plan on buying that. I have 4B natural, coarse hair with a tendency to get very, very dry so I gotta be careful...!!! :)

Eisani

Thanks ladies!!! From reading reviews, I've come to the conclusion that with Cantu, less is more. If you use too much, it'll make your hair hard.

That's one thing I'm worried about, cause I'm pretty heavy handed with products :ohwell:
This is absolutely right. I have used both and no matter how I tried Cantu I hated it; light hand on dry, wet, damp hair, sealed w/castor oil...just didn't work for me. Shea Moisture is very thick and I'm really still trying to figure out if I like it on my hair. I love it for dd, but my fickle hair is a tougher sell. I don't mind it on wet hair and sealed w/castor oil and I've baggied with it and it was ok but I wouldn't call it a staple.

TexturedTresses

I'm relaxed and I love cantu for my wash and goes and it makes my hair feel really soft. However, it has protein in it so I don't know about long term use. I also LOVE the smell and texture. Now, I just use conditioner for my wash aned goes. There is a person hair who was able to use it to retain length as a moisturizer. However, when I used it in my cousin's natural four a texture it really did nothing for her but leave white marks. However, shea moisture was AMAZING for her hair. It detangled, left it soft and moisturized. It didn't define curls though. It also smells awesome. I havn't used it as a leave in for my relaxed hair. I have used it as a moisturizer. It left my hair moisturized and smelling good. I was bunning though. I don't know about rollersetting.

Chameleonchick

I absolutely HATE! Cantu Shea butter Leave in. It leaves too much buildup. I never thought to use it as a DC though might try that one. I never tried the Shea Moisture but a lot of people seem to like it.

bigdeelight

I absolutely ADORE Cantu. I apply it to wet hair (I'm pretty heavy handed) and my hair stays moisturized, soft, and fluffy!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I currently am using Cantu and I really like it! It is nice and thick and I use it on my ends daily. My shedding has been cut in half since I started using it. I think I am going to the bss tomorrow to check out Shea though, since it has some good reviews.

Lava27

I REALLY wanted to like Cantu, and I did for a while. In my pre-LHCF days I used it, and I loved the wetish consistency, it was sorta like a gel and a cream all in one. I really liked this about it and I liked the smell. I've always be a bunner, and it always helped me slick my hair down, because it essentially made it very wet. So after applying it felt moisturized. But after week of using Cantu I realized my hair was dry at the end of the day and "ashy" looking, if you will.:nono::nono:
I know, an odd way to describe hair, but eventually I had to let it go. Sad part is, it was my PRE-LHCF days so don't beat me up ladies, but after one friend said she didn't want it, I just threw it in the TRASH!

getta

Ladies I mix aloe vera juice in my cantu. This allows the product to penetrate better. I love cantu!