*?* Can't do it forever !!!! *?*

Growing My Glory

So I am thinking of trying protective styling to help with retention. If I wear protective styles for a year and gain length, what will I do for the second year to maintain the length? I don't want to wear protective styles forever! Does this make sense?

I'm just looking for advice . . .:wallbash:

Just switch up the protective styles. Try braids for a few months - bun for a few months - twists for a few months - pin ups so on and so forth.

Youtube is a great place to get ideals & inspirations. I try some that I like and my failed attempts result in my own personal protective styles. I know what you mean though because I wore wigs for a minute but when I stopped wearing them I felt like the constant hands-in-hair syndrome led to a setback for me. I learned though. The key is not to take the progress for granted meaning don't go back to your old ways of hair care before you started your journey (flat ironing your new length 3x's a day on 400 degrees) I know there are more than a few people on the board who can chime in on that. HHG!

Right now I'm focused on retaining length so I have been wearing braids underneath my half-wigs but I agree it can be tiring so try weaves, braids, wigs, buns, twist-outs, braid-outs, bantu-knots for protctive styles or low manipulation styles.

Also, give yourself free-passes, to wear your hair down x amount of times a year or if you just want to, make it fun!

I did roller sets for the last three weeks. And although self-setting is a challenge, it helps me with "low manipulation" during the week. I lightly oil my ends and finger style.

I'm in rollers right now and plan to do a protective updo for the next for days (until my next wash). Wish me luck!

Back