Can't Do it Anymore...

Windsy

VENT: It's either I BC or relax. I don't want to BC so I decided to put a relaxer in my hair. I also decided to relax 2x a year.

NEED HELP: I am looking for suggestion on what relaxer to used. My hair is very thin. Any suggestion on what type of relaxer works best on thin hair is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

SIDE NOTE: I would also like to give props to those ladies who achieved naturalism and maintained. I admire your will power and determination!

glamazon386

I used Mizani when I was relaxed. The one for fine hair. That was the only relaxer that did good in my hair. Everything else made it too stringy and straight. Maybe you can try the new Butter Blend one?

chocostudent

I believe lye relaxers are better for the hair (help you retain moisture), but can be harder on the scalp. Whereas No-lye relaxers are said to drain moisture (and are more likely to cause breakage as a result), but are easier on the scalp.

Well, I've always thought that lye wasn't good for African American hair. Is that not true?

Last edited:

Windsy

I believe lye relaxers are better for the hair (help you retain retain moisture), but can be harder on the scalp. Whereas No-lye relaxers are said to drain moisture (and are more likely to cause breakage as a result), but are easier on the scalp.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

Windsy

I used Mizani when I was relaxed. The one for fine hair. That was the only relaxer that did good in my hair. Everything else made it too stringy and straight. Maybe you can try the new Butter Blend one?

Thanks B-moreflyygirl.

My co-worker is telling me to rethink about relaxing and to continue with my transition. She told me I should just get my hair straighten to satisfy my cravings so I'll see.

meecee

I understand...I just relaxed my hair last weekend after being natural 7 years. I used ORS no-lye. Depending on the length of your hair, please please please, buy more than one box. I bought 2 boxes and still ran out towards the end. My hair ranges from apl to almost bsl.

HTH :)

dlewis

Thanks B-moreflyygirl.

My co-worker is telling me to rethink about relaxing and to continue with my transition. She told me I should just get my hair straighten to satisfy my cravings so I'll see.

I think your co-worker is right. And after wearing it straight for a while, then see if that's what you want.

imstush

I think your co-worker is right. And after wearing it straight for a while, then see if that's what you want.

ITA. My last relaxer was in May 05, and I've been trying to satisfy my "want of straight hair" by rollersets.

Good luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

bLackButtaFly

I'm glad you decided to wait. I just saw this thread, and it's so weird b/c my room mate just decided to relax her hair after close to 4 years of being natural. She was only really wearing it straight, and wasn't trying natural styles, and after an attempt to loc her hair(a very poorly executed attempt if you ask me) she got a perm yesterday. The first thing she says to me is I don't really like it, and it feels really dry. :ohwell::nono: So take your time deciding b/c once you go to a relaxer it'll take a minute for it to go back.

Evolving78

VENT: It's either I BC or relax. I don't want to BC so I decided to put a relaxer in my hair. I also decided to relax 2x a year.

NEED HELP: I am looking for suggestion on what relaxer to used. My hair is very thin. Any suggestion on what type of relaxer works best on thin hair is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

SIDE NOTE: I would also like to give props to those ladies who achieved naturalism and maintained. I admire your will power and determination!

No don't do it! How come you don't want to BC? Why don't you try a different style or get some braids until you get over this feeling? I hope I caught you in time.

Windsy

No don't do it! How come you don't want to BC? Why don't you try a different style or get some braids until you get over this feeling? I hope I caught you in time.

you did. I decided to continue to transition. I can't do braids because after a week, I itch like crazy and want to rip them out of my head. I'll probably rock a pony for the next two weeks.